Turn on thread page Beta

what about @ the end of your period when you don t know what time it will stop,can u still wear it then ?
    & is it safe to wear it @ night if you sleep for more than 8 hours ?
    It says on the packet to empty it every 8 hours ,but is that because it can get full?
    Thanks for all the advice girls,really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    what about @ the end of your period when you don t know what time it will stop,can u still wear it then ?
    It says on the packet to empty it every 8 hours ,but is that because it can get full?
    Yep you can wear it then too I find at the end of your period, mooncups are SO much better than pads because I always found pads a little dry when my flow was so low.

You can have it in for longer than 8 hours at night - I think they just advise 8 hours as a benchmark x

I'm going to give it another go now I'm home. :unsure: I want to like it, I just... don't :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I use it when I don't know if I'm about to start, and when I'm not sure if I'm about to finish. And I wear it overnight, and I tend to stay in bed for ~12 hours =P I also only empty it twice a day normally, as thats all it needs!

ReputationRep:
    In case any ladies lurking on here trying to decide need persuading; here'a a list of all the possitives the cup gave me in just TWO days: (some might contain too much info!!!)

No needing to throw away any knickers due to leakage
    I could wear any white clothes I wanted
    I could wear tight trouses/jeans which normaly with a pad for me is a no-no
    I could sleep as long as I wanted without fidgiting/leaking during the night
    No blood stained skin due to carrying a pad round with me (I know this ones grim!)
    No bin full of sanitary wear
    No odours or mess
    No rustleing like a nappy as I walked!
    No changing the pads every 2hrs
    No horrible/uncomfortuble feeling of passing blood
    Not even feeling like I was having a period because when the cup was in I forgot about it!
    No general 'dirty' feeling due to the general mess of a period
    And lastly; if I DID decide to, I could have swam as long as id wanted!!!!

Negatives- just getting used to insertion/taking out but once im used to that it wont even count as a negative?! so none really :-)

Hope this helps some lurkers make there minds up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flo_Ryder89)
    No needing to throw away any knickers due to leakage

For blood stains what works wonders is baking soda/bread soda on the nickers with cold water in a basin/bucket/bath for a few hours & then you can rinse them b4 putting them in the wash
    It s better than throwing them away.

ReputationRep:
    *Pouts*

Mooncup is on hold because of these stupid fake nails I've got to keep on (Got them for prom and they were v. expensive, Mum is making me keep them as long as possible) and it pinches and hurts when I try to use it.

Gotta go back to tampons and pads and it's JUST as I got the hang of using it.
    ffs ):<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choccy94)
    *Pouts*

Mooncup is on hold because of these stupid fake nails I've got to keep on (Got them for prom and they were v. expensive, Mum is making me keep them as long as possible) and it pinches and hurts when I try to use it.

Gotta go back to tampons and pads and it's JUST as I got the hang of using it.
    ffs ):<
    loll ouch!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hissyfit)
    For blood stains what works wonders is baking soda/bread soda on the nickers with cold water in a basin/bucket/bath for a few hours & then you can rinse them b4 putting them in the wash
    It s better than throwing them away.
    hmm this is a good tip, thanks! ill try this.

My mum used to wash them for me but even after numerous goes they were still stained, highly annoying. But ill try this out if I have any stains in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flo_Ryder89)
    hmm this is a good tip, thanks! ill try this.

My mum used to wash them for me but even after numerous goes they were still stained, highly annoying. But ill try this out if I have any stains in the future.
    Make sure you use cold water & baking/bread/bicarbonate of soda not baking powder as that won t be strong enough.

ReputationRep:
    There are several different brands right? How do you choose which one to buy?

ReputationRep:
    Mwahahahaha!

It appears my fake left thumb and middle finger nails have... 'fallen' off.

Oops

Back to mooncup using for me!!!

I have a Diva cup which is another brand like the Mooncup.

It's great, I've been using it about 3 years now. I've been camping, swimming in a lake and the sea, rock climbing, canoeing, sailing, jumped on a trampoline, rode a bike, walked several miles in the peak district...all successfully using the cup. These were mostly all in the same week tho, I don't do all these on a regular basis haha...but my week wasn't ruined thanks to my cup.

Hurt a little at first and took me a while to get it in, but it was worth it.

ReputationRep:
    i went out and bought a mooncup today, after years of 'eeew'ing i started to come round to the idea. i'm going travelling soon and didn't want to contribute to landfill problems either overseas or at home, and reading this thread a few days ago gave me a final push towards it (so thankyou to everyone who's posted!). i have to say i'm impressed already. it was much easier than i thought to insert and getting it out is a little trickier but with practice i imagine it'll be a doddle soon. i also feel much cleaner than using pads, i barely used tampons before as i hated the sensation of them and found them uncomfortable but i can barely tell the mooncup is there

only negative point so far - the sound it makes when you break the seal on removal... not so bad if you're in private, but less than glamourous in public toilets

also asides from the product i have to applaud the makers just for getting dialogue going about periods, we all have em so we should all feel like we can talk about them without feeling gross or embarrassed!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I am kind of apprehensive about ever having to change it in public at the moment I always do it at home, since it seems to last all day anyway, but I like to be able to wash out the cup and myself before putting it back in. I don't much like the thought of just putting it back when it hasn't been properly cleaned :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chez87)
    There are several different brands right? How do you choose which one to buy?
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?
    It doesn't matter really, they all do the same job. Some have slightly different features, for example, I believe that the 'MeLuna' has the option of a ball or a ring as opposed to a stem. Some people believe the 'Ladycup' has softer material, and is a bit squishier. For now, I'd opt for your native cup (for want of a better word), I.E. UK - Mooncup, etc, just to save on postage.

(Original post by LostHorizons)
    I am kind of apprehensive about ever having to change it in public at the moment I always do it at home, since it seems to last all day anyway, but I like to be able to wash out the cup and myself before putting it back in. I don't much like the thought of just putting it back when it hasn't been properly cleaned
    I don't ever change mine in public, I can manage to go a whole day generally, although one day I might try it. I'm the same as you, don't like the idea of not cleaning it properly.
    However I'm also worried I'd drop it in a public toilet, and tbh, I don't wanna fish it out of there.

ReputationRep:
    Just thought some of you might want to know, they are being sold on Ebay at the moment for £17 and free postage, so a little bit less than Boots.

This thread has convinced me to try it, so i've just ordered one, hoping it will be a lot more practical for my gap year than pads/tampons if I get on with it. :yep:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Anyone?
    This site tells you the length of all the cups. Whilst the mooncup is probably most common, I found it was too long really and have now switched to a meluna. They also have a guide here. The meluna only holds around half the mooncup, so it might need changing more often.

I also bought mine from there - the mooncup is £17.50 with free p&p, or the basic meluna is £12.

ReputationRep:
    My mooncup has arrived! I'm a bit anxious about not being able to get it out, but spose I gotta try it sooner or later! Gonna do a 'dry' run (excuse the pun) and see how it goes.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2013
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.