Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    How on earth did that happen? To be fair though, if you use tampons you're risking the slight chance of TSS. xx
    I don't know how it happened. I'm sure I am in a very small, but VERY unfortunate minority. But be warned that such things can happen.

I'm sticking to pads now. The thought of anything being inserted makes me shudder (no sex jokes, please!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choccy94)
    So glad that you got it! :woo:
    Great to see another mooncupper on board
    It took me a long time to get it right but eventually I got it, once you've got it, you're pretty much there!

I usually empty mine into the toilet, then wipe around the outside a little with some tissue paper and because the sink is next to the toilet I'll give it a rinse if it was heavy. I sterilise mine every month using milton (used to sterilise baby's bottles) and put it in a denture/retainer box

Good luck!
    Hey, just wanted your advice,

because ive just bought some miltons too and a little cheap plastic container (just like a 10cm cup with a lid) to soak it in, especially as im in a shared house and dont want people to see me boiling it lol

but basically when i read the mixing instructions the dilution is soooo small, like half a cap for lots of liters and my cup is tiny!, how much did you put in? like i know your container may be bigger/hold more water etc but roughly how much did you mix in the water?

Id really appreciate it x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flo_Ryder89)

because ive just bought some miltons too and a little cheap plastic container (just like a 10cm cup with a lid) to soak it in, especially as im in a shared house and dont want people to see me boiling it lol

but basically when i read the mixing instructions the dilution is soooo small, like half a cap for lots of liters and my cup is tiny!, how much did you put in? like i know your container may be bigger/hold more water etc but roughly how much did you mix in the water?

To be honest, I just put in a tub of water and a tablet. My mooncups seem to be doing fine with that - My solution is probably stronger than it should be, but my original mooncup was 5 years old when I decided to throw it away, purely because I'd lost it and bought a replacement, found it, left both at home and had to buy a replacement etc etc and 4 mooncups is a bit excessive =P

ReputationRep:
    I don't use miltons for my cups but the German version of the MeLuna website says 1 tablet is enough for 5 liter of water.

1/4 tablet = 1.25 liter
    1/8 tablet = 0.75 liter

ReputationRep:
    hmm my miltons is a liquid solution though not tablets, i think when it eventually runs out i might get tablets they are probably easier

thanks for your help though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flo_Ryder89)

I have a retainer/denture box for mine which fits it perfectly. I fill it with water and then just add a splash of milton into it (I use the liquid, not tablets) - I don't think it matters if it's too strong really, just give it a rinse before you use it

how does the mooncup affect urinating?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    how does the mooncup affect urinating?
    It doesn't affect it at all it doesn't affect anything, really. You can't feel it when you've got it in.

ReputationRep:
    I have a retainer/denture box for mine which fits it perfectly. I fill it with water and then just add a splash of milton into it (I use the liquid, not tablets) - I don't think it matters if it's too strong really, just give it a rinse before you use it
    cool thanks!

ReputationRep:
    hmm I should probably get hold of some of this Miltons stuff. Can you buy it from supermarkets, eg Co-op or Morrisons, or would I have to go to Boots?
    Does it remove staining?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hkate)
    hmm I should probably get hold of some of this Miltons stuff. Can you buy it from supermarkets, eg Co-op or Morrisons, or would I have to go to Boots?
    Does it remove staining?
    As far as I know, you can buy it from any general supermarket, and I don't think it removes staining from clothes etc but will probably remove any blood 'stains' from your cup

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, you can buy it from any general supermarket, and I don't think it removes staining from clothes etc but will probably remove any blood 'stains' from your cup
    Thanks, I'll look out for it at the next available opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    I get boots baby sterilising tablets =) They cost a quid or two for 96 tablets!

ReputationRep:
    I've been considering buying one of these for a while (I may have posted on this thread, too asking for advice. I can't remember)
    I don't really fancy using sterilising tablets on anything that's going up my bajingo, as I've had BV many times in the past . But living in a shared house next year is going to make it awkward to sterilise it. Would leaving it in a cup/container of freshly boiled water after use be sufficient to sterilise it? How long would I need to leave it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Just wondering, what's the longest anyone here has left their mooncup in for? Has anyone ever experienced any bad effects from leaving it in too long?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)
    I've been considering buying one of these for a while (I may have posted on this thread, too asking for advice. I can't remember)
    I don't really fancy using sterilising tablets on anything that's going up my bajingo, as I've had BV many times in the past . But living in a shared house next year is going to make it awkward to sterilise it. Would leaving it in a cup/container of freshly boiled water after use be sufficient to sterilise it? How long would I need to leave it.
    Dont ever pour boiled water from a kettle on it (dry boiling), always boil it up slowly using a pan. just a few minutes should be ok, thats all i did it for. By the time the water starts to let off steam I suppose its sufficiently hot enough already to be killing any little nasties on your cup!

Im using miltons liquid dissinfectant (also because im in a shared house). Just a tiny splash (its quite strong) soak it for 10 mins in a small container of water and rinse easy peasy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostHorizons)
    Just wondering, what's the longest anyone here has left their mooncup in for? Has anyone ever experienced any bad effects from leaving it in too long?
    8 hrs is the guide (only then I think its limited to 8 incase of leakage rather than health issues like tampons)

I always aim to empty it usually at half 10 - 11pm at the latest, then i sleep till 10ish! so thats considerably more than 8 hours.

Obviously it can get very full during the night but at the start of my period I wear a panty liner incase of leaks. Obviously If I wake at 9 then i prefer it because i can change it and then go back to bed so theres no chance of leaking but if i want a lie in and simply cant be bothered to get up and change it then i have the luxury of not!

with a tampon youd be risking tss by now and if it was a sanitary towel it wouldnt be able to hold much more after 10 hours.

so its awsome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)
    I use a spray called "Toysterile" and it works perfectly fine with all my cups. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostHorizons)
    I wore it for about 24 hours once. Mainly because I stayed at a friends house and then went on a plane journey, I wasn't heavy (just finishing), and we didn't have that much in the way of toilet access because I forgot about it before I left for the airport. As in, I put it in the night before, then forgot about it until I got to the hotel about 24 hours later.

I suffered no ill effects, but I wouldn't recommend it all the same. It was really just being used to catch any last drips, and I definitely wouldn't recommend using a tampon for anywhere near that length.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2013
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.