Turn on thread page Beta

The Great Mooncup Thread / FAQ watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    get your finger right up the side and push on the rim. it'll go "pop" and schloop right out.
    Thats the best description of it Ive heard ever....

I got one the other day, and it would be perfect except for two things:

1. Removal. Ouch.
    2. I'm worried that it's going to, er, stretch me out permanently. Can anybody who's been using one for a long time comment on that issue?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I got one the other day, and it would be perfect except for two things:

1. Removal. Ouch.
    2. I'm worried that it's going to, er, stretch me out permanently. Can anybody who's been using one for a long time comment on that issue?
    1. my advice - relax, it gets better the more you use it
    2. Ive been using mine for about 4/5 months and nothing has been stretched as far as i have noticed. Besides as <3 said - bigger things will go up there!

(Original post by misst)
    1. my advice - relax, it gets better the more you use it
    2. Ive been using mine for about 4/5 months and nothing has been stretched as far as i have noticed. Besides as <3 said - bigger things will go up there!
    But bigger things don't sit in there for five-ish days straight out of every month! That's why I'm worried.

ReputationRep:
    About removal (from the website)
    Dear Mooncup
    I have just tried my Mooncup for the first time. Am I alone in having problems removing it?
    Please help!
    Helen

Dear Helen,
    No! It is a question of practice, and some women find removal a little difficult at first! You do not explain what the problem is exactly, but there are two usual difficulties:

1 Too much suction: Before inserting your mooncup, try inserting a pin into the small holes around under the lowest ridge on the rim of the Mooncup. These can become blocked, so wiggle a pin in each one to ensure that they are clear. You can always release the seal by inserting your finger alongside the Mooncup and squashing it sideways, if squeezing the base does not work.

2 Not being able to get hold of the Mooncup: this is a combination of position, and, often, panic! Try to sit on the loo or squat, and use your 'bearing down' or pushing muscles to move the Mooncup down before you try to get hold of it. You should be able to move it down to the entrance to your vagina where it is easier to get hold of! The best method for doing this is to use a sequence of small downward motions. It may feel as though th Mooncup rises again after releasing each motion but it will be gradually pushed down. Small motions avoid tension and panic!

Standing or lying down makes your Mooncup harder to reach.

And yes, staying calm is helpful too!
    I hope this info is useful.

Best Wishes
    Su
    Havent found anything on Stretching, but I mailed them to ask for you Shall get bak to you as soon as I know

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the thread. have been thinking about getting one for years but didnt untill i9 read this. i still need practise but it is soooo good for the end of your period when its too light to wear a tampon. towels r just icky imo. can see why ppl use them over tampons but not my cup of tea.

ReputationRep:
    omg and do i even want to know this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by so_this_is_sam)
    omg and do i even want to know this
    depends - are you male or female?

ReputationRep:
    In response to the stretching out -
    The vagina is made from accordion-style folds of skin in its wall that expand and revert (they are called rugae)-so you will not stretch permanantly!
    so no fear of being permanantly stretched!

(Original post by misst)
    About removal (from the website)

Havent found anything on Stretching, but I mailed them to ask for you Shall get bak to you as soon as I know
    Thank you.

And I don't have either of those problems with removal. How are you supposed to get the (huge) rim out without it hurting? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.

And I don't have either of those problems with removal. How are you supposed to get the (huge) rim out without it hurting? :confused:
    I squeeze the two edges together, and take it out at a slight angle

ReputationRep:
    I'm prob gunna get one.

I go on loads of cadet camps (like army camp) and I do field training. Sometimes there are no proper toilets, just holes dug into the ground. Do you think the Mooncup would be ok for that? I would not be able to change it as often as I should and washing it would be a bit of a bu**er, but atm I can't go at all if I am on my period because there are no disposal units etc for tampons and its really gross.

It all sounds great, and I'm thinking seriously now of getting one, but is it worth it, seeing as I have really heavy periods? (as in super plus tampons last a max of 3 hours) Also, is it really uncomfortable when sleeping or anything?

ReputationRep:
    It all sounds great, and I'm thinking seriously now of getting one, but is it worth it, seeing as I have really heavy periods? (as in super plus tampons last a max of 3 hours) Also, is it really uncomfortable when sleeping or anything?
    I don't notice it when Im sleeping, and it is definatly worth getting one - I worked it out at being about 1p per day, saying you look after it and it lasts 5 years. I have super heavy periods to, and it usually lasts a school day (from 7 till 4) or at least till lunchtime.

ReputationRep:
    Heya

I'm like 85% convinced. My main worry though is horse riding, I know someone made reference to it a bit earlier in the thread but no-one's said they've been riding in it.

It seems more vigorous than all the other sports I know in a way because you're almost sitting on your.. (dont make me say it!! ) if you know what I mean and your legs are spread and I dont just trot around a school I do really active galloping over rough terrain where you are moving around in the saddle a lot!

I guess non-horse riders might find this hard to relate to but I cant imagine the moon cup will work with this sport! Any advice/stories/suggestions I'd be really greatful!

ReputationRep:
    I dont do horseriding - just so you know. But ti should be OK, normally OK in aerobics, as long as Ive emptied it just before I start exercising. If you go onto the website you can email the people there and they'll be able to give you proper answers. Thats how I got the bit about stretching (see above)

ReputationRep:
    you should keep a good grip of it, and dont let it spring open until its fully in. it shouldn't hurt then, then cos vaginal walls are really elastic. and you shouldn't have problems getting it out, even if the stem is in - you just have to grab it at the bottom, where its grippy. thing is, if the stem is out, then its more likely to leak.
    good luck!

ReputationRep:
    if when its in the stem still shows trim it! It will make you sore (not nice - trust me ) and it is more likely to leak as well
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I've finally ordered a mooncup! I can't wait for it to come. I'm imagining it'll be a huge bucket like thing for some reason :s:

ReputationRep:
    Can it really be returned if you are not pleased?
    I mean they seem to be very sure, that people will not give it back.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2013
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.