Turn on thread page Beta

The Great Mooncup Thread / FAQ watch

ReputationRep:
    i noticed that if i leave it in for too long, the mooncup ends up smelling. anyone have this problem? and how to solve it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    leisure, - yes.
    That is amazing, because the person doing the selling in Germany (via German website) does not offer a refund "if you are not satisfied" thing. So even if it is slightly more expensive via the english website it might be worthwhile getting it there just in case it is not what was expected, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    My two cents... I bought a mooncup and decided to have a few practices before my period. I figured it would be best to get good at it before blood and small cubicles were involved! So anyway so far I've only tried it twice. I liken it to using tampons for the first time; it takes practice and at first you wonder how anyone can get them up there!! Anyway first time round I panicked and bled like Viviki lol, although nowhere near as bad - just a tiny bit. For one second I was really dumb and thought 'wow, what are the chances, as soon as I practice I come on!'. It blimmin caned though so I knew it was the mooncup. Anyway I waited a day or two and tried again. A bit more successful but I can't be putting it up high enough coz it still hurts. Although most of the stem is inside and I'm not sure if I could get it up any higher. I'm very small so it's difficult holding it closed once it is up high. I wish they made an even smaller one really - just by a little bit. Once it's past the entrance it's not too bad but my entrance is really small. Too much bone in the way - anyone else have this problem? Anyway this makes it hurt straight away and I tense up and the rest is history... I try to take deep breaths to relax lol.

Anyway I find fiddling about trying to get it out just makes things worse, bearing down is the best way for me and I can get it out really quick, maybe my pelvic floor being good is a bit of a disadvantage though rather than an advantage!

Anyway know you have learned a bit more about me ;D and my mooncup experience so far. Hopefully I will be able to use them one day

ReputationRep:
    I've had my mooncup for a year and a half now and I can't imagine ever going back to anything else! I could go on for pages about why it's so great but I think the advantages have been pretty much covered here (plus I've already done that in a testimonial on their website!)

And they are such a great company- get this- I lost my little drawstring bag somehow and they sent me another one for free!! Very impressed.

The main problem people seem to have is with removing it- and that was my main problem at first. What I'd advise is to "fold it up" as much as you can, like you do when you put it in, and then it's no problem to remove. That might sound tricky but it is possible (and I'm pretty small). You basically have to reach up near to the top of it and do a bit of finger acrobatics, but it's not as difficult as it sounds.

Also, I think the main source of discomfort is definitely the stem. I removed mine completely within a few days- once you're confident about removal you might as well, and I positively cannot feel it in there AT ALL, even if I do one of those pelvic floor exercises lol

So people having trouble, it's SO worth persevering, it has changed my life completely and it can change yours too with a little practice!

And Jenna999- contrary to popular belief, tampons are NOT sterile: http://www.tamponalert.org.uk/akta/whatsnew.htm (many other sources will tell you this but reading some of these stories made me very sad and I want to tell more people that they can stop using horrible tampons!)

Eeek, I've gone on forever and I've got an exam tomorrow lol. Thanks <3 for a fantastic thread

xxx

ReputationRep:
    I have finally ordered a mooncup!! :p: Heck knows why I put it off for so long... :rolleyes:
    I just hope it gets here before term ends...

ReputationRep:
    I just got mine yesterday! I thought I better give it a practice before I actually needed it and it was such a ***** to get it in the right place without feeling it at first. Plus, I quickly had to get over the squeamishness factor. Trying to remove it was complicated until I figured that it was best to try to grip the grooves above the stem and not the stem itself. Once I got the hang of that, it was easier for sure. I also bled a teeny bit:eek: but it was pretty insignificant. I tried again today and it was definitely easier. I think it just takes practice

ReputationRep:
    I just decided to bump this. I just started using my DivaCup (the North American brand name for MoonCup). I love it! Except I have now confirmed that my period is insanely heavy...I fill up the cup easily

It's still better than any other method I've tried, think I'm hooked for life

ReputationRep:
    thats excellent, shady lane! i've converted most of my female friends to them now!

ReputationRep:
    There was an article about them in the body and soul on Saturday, in hte Times... just found it online here

ReputationRep:
    oh, and Im still in love with mine :p: not succeded on many of my mates, but Im working on it...

ReputationRep:
    I went into Boots a few days ago and the woman assistant had no idea what i was talking about... so i am going to order one very soon Thanks TSR for mentioning it :tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    We are glad to spread the word *bows*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphrodite)
    There was an article about them in the body and soul on Saturday, in hte Times... just found it online here
    cool

DAMN, we need to spread the word! Tell every girl you know!

ReputationRep:
    Yay, other people appreciate the mooncup! The only other time i've met other enthusiasts is at Glastonbury, where they always have a stall. I feel all eco friendly and find them nice and clean... Unlike having big cotton wads inside your pants that get dirty and manky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    cool

DAMN, we need to spread the word! Tell every girl you know!
    I found my stickers again :p: gonna see if they will send me some more - no girls cubicle in the school will be safe mwahahahaha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    leisure, - yes.

yeahyeahyeah - change it more often, sterilise it more often? Is it the blood you're smelling or the actual plastic?

i have no idea what it smells like. its just isnt nice!
    how do i sterilise it? i think my mom would go mad if i used her pots and pans to sertilise it in boiling water lol. can i get bottled sterilising fluid or something?

ReputationRep:
    I use Miltons. Of course the amount you use is a bit of guess work since my mug is a bit smaller than the several litres they give measurements for!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeahyeahyeahs)
    i have no idea what it smells like. its just isnt nice!
    how do i sterilise it? i think my mom would go mad if i used her pots and pans to sertilise it in boiling water lol. can i get bottled sterilising fluid or something?
    I use baby sterilising tablets, the sort of ones you get for cleaning babies bottles, a pack of 56, so itll last a good while :p: just pop it into a tub with hot water, say when youre having a shower, then make sure you rinse it out after 1/2 hour!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphrodite)
    I use baby sterilising tablets, the sort of ones you get for cleaning babies bottles, a pack of 56, so itll last a good while :p: just pop it into a tub with hot water, say when youre having a shower, then make sure you rinse it out after 1/2 hour!
    oh! good one trish!

i hate boiling it up in shared kitchens. my friends and i (who all use mooncups) were discussing what we'd tell people if they asked what it was.

" its a minature oxygen mask ... for my hamster" :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I like that idea, trish ^^. I must sterilise mine before I need it, actually. (I'll probably forget, though - I've been doing that for the past year,approx).

The only thing is that I have a brother and am living at home, so I'd rather not have to deal w/questions, if I'm honest.

Aphrodite, can you just get baby bottle sterilising tablets from Boots/other chemists?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2013
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.