Turn on thread page Beta

part time work in 1st year? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    Challenging but achievable - there can be quite a thin line I guess.
    That doesn't apply to A-Levels though, they are far from challenging.
    Hopefully university will be different though and actually require thought rather than the ability to remember and recall facts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    That doesn't apply to A-Levels though, they are far from challenging.
    Hopefully university will be different though and actually require thought rather than the ability to remember and recall facts.
    Definately, A levels are really doing my head in!

I see your taking an AEA in Maths - I know it is aimed at those with just basic Maths but personally would you say it's realistic to get a merit/dist. without knowledge from FM?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    Definately, A levels are really doing my head in!
    I agree. I don't know what's worse though, revision or the stupid frog tune adverts that are on TV while i'm revising. Perhaps i'll stick to BBC in future.

I see your taking an AEA in Maths - I know it is aimed at those with just basic Maths but personally would you say it's realistic to get a merit/dist. without knowledge from FM?
    If you know your stuff and have worked through some AEA/Step past papers then it's definitely possible.
    If you're doing the AEA, look on the following website for plenty of resources: http://www.mathsexams2.tk/
    You might want to click on 'oxbridge preperation' and download 'core problems in mathematics'...
    I think the extra confidence you get from FM does help though.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I don't know what's worse though, revision or the stupid frog tune adverts that are on TV while i'm revising. Perhaps i'll stick to BBC in future.
    Haha, I'm immune to the frog now... but they have released about 10 imitations.

If you know your stuff and have worked through some AEA/Step past papers then it's definitely possible.
    If you're doing the AEA, look on the following website for plenty of resources: http://www.mathsexams2.tk/
    You might want to click on 'oxbridge preperation' and download 'core problems in mathematics'...
    I think the extra confidence you get from FM does help though.
    Hmmm, thinking I might make a late entry for the AEA as it may help swing me a place at uni when I inevitably miss the grades.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, thinking I might make a late entry for the AEA as it may help swing me a place at uni when I inevitably miss the grades.
    Go for it if your institution will enter you. The maths AEA is on the 1st July, probably leaving you a few days to prepare after your other examinations. You need around 50% for a merit and 70% for a distinction.
    I'm sure you'll make the grades you need though, forget about an exam after it's been done and just move on to the next one
    Saying that though, i'm a little unsure about my making my firm offer but a little nervousness is perfectly normal.

Regarding part time work: My mother occasionally hints at me getting a job in term time but i'm not going to, i'll live off supermarket bargains if necessary, as I want to focus on getting a 1st or 2:1. I've had to work at a supermarket this year but i'm looking forward to resigning in september and then hopefully only work in non term time (hopefully at somewhere better than a supermarket).

ReputationRep:
    Go for it if your institution will enter you. The maths AEA is on the 1st July, probably leaving you a few days to prepare after your other examinations. You need around 50% for a merit and 70% for a distinction.
    I'm sure you'll make the grades you need though, forget about an exam after it's been done and just move on to the next one
    Saying that though, i'm a little unsure about my making my firm offer but a little nervousness is perfectly normal.

Regarding part time work: My mother occasionally hints at me getting a job in term time but i'm not going to, i'll live off supermarket bargains if necessary, as I want to focus on getting a 1st or 2:1. I've had to work at a supermarket this year but i'm looking forward to resigning in september and then hopefully only work in non term time (hopefully at somewhere better than a supermarket).
    My college don't do it, so I would have to enter somewhere else which is possible... but I might just prefer to forget about exams after June 24th - my last one. Thing is I'm pretty certain I won't meet my firms offer although they might let me in anyway as I take 4 subjects and Maths isn't overly popular.

Same goes for me with part-time work although I would consider a few hours a week or a night a week at a bar during term in the first year. Although I'm definately going to try and get work during the hols, preferably interning at IB's and Consultancy firms which looks great on the CV and gives out a nice juicey pay cheque.

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on working during my first year, I don't think a couple of shifts a week will have that big an impact on my studying, and will help keep the social life going as I'll have money to go out. I'll also probably work during the summers, but not sure if I'll want to be working in 2nd and final year, because from all I've heard it begins to get pretty intense then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel_Cake)
    "Only passing" is nothing like "only passing" at A-level, where a trained monkey could get an E. I did quite well at A-level and I was still struggling to pass some of my modules this year - there's one I'm pretty sure I can't have got 40% on. On my course (French and German), I went from studying one book for my literature module at school to studying 18 here at uni (all in German). That makes a bit of a difference!

And the advantage of an exam factory is that at least you know what the examiners want and you'll have a pretty good idea what sort of grade to expect in your final exams! That doesn't happen here.

I'm not trying to discourage you, don't get me wrong, uni is great! Just please don't go along expecting it to be "breezy" as you said earlier. It's not!
    Oh well, at least my foolish ideas of the 1st year being easier than A level were crushed now rather than later *goes see's mummy for hug*.
    I like a challenge but was expecting a "little" break during the first year :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    time managment is your mantra.

getting a job is easy if you plan your time. I didnt get a job this year but in hindsight i wish i did to get some cashflow and during the first year the level of work isn't the most taxing, of course this depends on the course and university. i was doing history and IR which was about 11 hours total a week. not a lot.

its up to you totally, uni often makes you quite flexible having lectures in the morning, free in the afternoons and so forth. this may make you useful to an employer. Also i've found that unlike A levels (for me) you aren't as bound as much to weekends as your time for going out to clubs/pubs. I spend more time going out during the week now. so working weekends wouldnt be the biggest hassle in the world.

Dont forget holidays when you are back home as well. you get a stupid amount of time off, its possible to get work then and not work at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel_Cake)
    "Only passing" is nothing like "only passing" at A-level, where a trained monkey could get an E. I did quite well at A-level and I was still struggling to pass some of my modules this year - there's one I'm pretty sure I can't have got 40% on. On my course (French and German), I went from studying one book for my literature module at school to studying 18 here at uni (all in German). That makes a bit of a difference!

And the advantage of an exam factory is that at least you know what the examiners want and you'll have a pretty good idea what sort of grade to expect in your final exams! That doesn't happen here.

I'm not trying to discourage you, don't get me wrong, uni is great! Just please don't go along expecting it to be "breezy" as you said earlier. It's not!
    Depends on your course I guess. I do politics, and have done quite a bit of philosophy as well, and I find that getting 40% in them IS easy. You only need to know the very basics to pass, I've done a lot less work than A-Levels over the year and managed a low 2:1, even those I know who've done almost nothing have got a 2:2 for the year.

Obviously this isn't the case for something like law or medicine, but for most arts/social science type things, you really don't need to work very hard to get 40.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer to work over easter and summer rather than during term-time. The money pays for me to travel someplace each year. This year I am going trekking in Alaska!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    I prefer to work over easter and summer rather than during term-time. The money pays for me to travel someplace each year. This year I am going trekking in Alaska!
    That's so cool! If I get my year in Canada next year that's on my list of places to go :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, who are you doing that with? I want to do Trek America next summer, but the one I want to do is obviously the most expensive :rolleyes: (2.5k :eek: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Ooh, who are you doing that with? I want to do Trek America next summer, but the one I want to do is obviously the most expensive :rolleyes: (2.5k :eek: )
    Trek America actually!!! So looking forward to it - i'm going in August. I assume you want to go on one of the 64 day trips if it is that much?! The ones I am looking at are around £1000-£1500.

ReputationRep:
    Trek America actually!!! So looking forward to it - i'm going in August. I assume you want to go on one of the 64 day trips if it is that much?! The ones I am looking at are around £1000-£1500.
    Yeah, the 64 day trailblazer. It looks soooooo cool . You'll have to let me know how you get on with yours when you get back. Hope you enjoy it

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.