Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im doing 3 A levels and A AS in 1 year, i struggled with chemistry at a crap college and got a U for AS [salters chemistry]. I'm thinking of doing it in 1 year next year part time as that u for AS looks bad for me. How hard is chemistry comparing to maths and physics? I don't find maths and physics difficult but it's just time consuming whereas chemistry i always thought was a bit tricky. I really wanted to do medicine, so with A level chemistry and biology i have "open a few doors up" for me.

Issit as hard as people make up? Comparing to maths/physics.

ReputationRep:
    No its not as long as you r really commited, coz see unlike other sciences such as maths where it's all logic n physics which is in the same league as maths
    its not hard at all, it depends on student's attitude towards studies, again...
    you see sum ppl dn study n just moan abt their grades when they r capable of doing better but they dont, i did the same mistake this year n thank goodness i realised it sooner than later coz i still got one more year @ high skool
    make sure you start your revision early focusing on ur weaker points first n then going back onto revising your strong points..

ReputationRep:
    It all really depends on how well you can get into the subject. Some people get into it easier and some don't. Some of the exams board have different approaches to the way you learn. Where with salters it's teaching u the basics then showing how they are relevant to real life and how they are used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    Hi, im doing 3 A levels and A AS in 1 year, i struggled with chemistry at a crap college and got a U for AS [salters chemistry]. I'm thinking of doing it in 1 year next year part time as that u for AS looks bad for me. How hard is chemistry comparing to maths and physics? I don't find maths and physics difficult but it's just time consuming whereas chemistry i always thought was a bit tricky. I really wanted to do medicine, so with A level chemistry and biology i have "open a few doors up" for me.

I don't think you can really compare chemistry with maths and physics. But I think its possible for you to do it in one year, are you doing it privately? You've got to think about the practical/coursework- need someone to mark it.

ReputationRep:
    well i basically taught myself AS over a month, one of those weeks properly cramming just before my exam. It can look like a different language but definitely possible once you understand the fundamentals. And as you've studied it a whole year already, you've got some head-start.
    A friend who does maths and chemistry did say the chem exams were harder though.

ReputationRep:
    It's one of those things where if you know the basic concepts then it will make sense - it's very logical. But if you try to float through it then you will (as you previously discovered) crash and burn. If you have somebody who is a good teacher then yeh i'd give it a go!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say with a good teacher the theory would be very possible. Especially with Salters' chemistry, which I do, the exams always seem fairly simplistic, with lots of very low mark questions, so there's more chance to pick up marks. Certainly a lot nicer than my AQA Physics B, though the grade boundaries for that are very low.

However, I do think you'd have to try to find an exam board with minimum coursework required i.e. practical exams if they do them. That's just because the coursework practicals can take a lot of time and effort to do well in them, and I think it'd be too much to do 2 coursework practicals and the open book paper which you have to do for Salters'.

ReputationRep:
    it depends on how u r with churning...that is physics and maths need a bit of understanding to make them click but chem is just memory....learn.....relearn...le arn again...until it stays....if u can just memorise then u'l b fine

(Original post by nas7232)

Physics is the hardest subject. Maths is second. Chemistry is third. Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    go for it + you can always get support here if you're stuck, so why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagician)
    Physics is the hardest subject. Maths is second. Chemistry is third. Go for it.
    I find both maths and chemistry harder than physics, although, to be fair i don't actually study maths.

ReputationRep:
    Each person has their own talent of something. Let try, and if you find it hard, just quit. But maybe you'll find it easy. My friend studied 6 Chemistry modules in one year, and he got an A. So why don't you try . Hope you find it interesting

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.