Announcements

ReputationRep:
    wot r they?? :confused:

any one got a website wich explains?? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)

They're easy, but long, boring and tedious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)

I don't exactly know but my friend is doing them, so they are to do with statistics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    I think Saf wants an explanation of what they actually are.

ReputationRep:
    short explanation of how to do them...........please!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    I think Saf wants an explanation of what they actually are.
    yep!

ReputationRep:
    4|2 = 42

2 | 1, 3, 6, 8
    3 | 2, 6
    4 | 0, 5, 9

This is an example of one. It helps to sort out data, which could ber useful when finding out quartiles, standard deviation etc. You have a set on unsorted data, and you put the tens in the 1st column, and the units in the 2nd (both in numerical order). You can do 2 separate stem and leaf diagrams, the 1st with the units put down as you see them in the given data, and the 2nd with the units in numerical order. At teh top you put a key, indicating the line which separates the 2 columns, and what it means. (See example)
    Hope this helps. (edited to hopefully make more sense)

ReputationRep:
    i can imagine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    4(2 = 42

2 ( 1, 3, 6, 8
    3 ( 2, 6
    4 ( 0, 5, 9

This is an example of one. It helps to sort out data, which could ber useful when finding out quartiles, standard deviation etc. You have a set on unsorted data, and you put the tens in the 1st column, and the units in the 2nd (both in numerical order). You can do 2 separate stem and leaf diagrams, the 1st with the units put down as you see them in the given data, and the 2nd with the units in numerical order. At teh top you put a key, indicating the line which separates the 2 columns, and what it means. (See example)
    Hope this helps.
    thanx..... but i dont understand wer the 3 came frm and wot.................. ( ........means!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    thanx..... but i dont understand wer the 3 came frm and wot.................. ( ........means!
    i dont understand a bit of it never mind just the 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    well it really should be "|" not "(" but besides that, going back to the example:
    4(2 = 42 <---that just means that 4|2 is 42 so generalising a|b means ab

2 ( 1, 3, 6, 8 <----this therefore shows numbers 21, 23, 26, 28
    3 ( 2, 6 <------and so on
    4 ( 0, 5, 9 <-----and so on.

So in this case "|" just separates tens from units.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by king of swords)
    well it really should be "|" not "(" but besides that, going back to the example:
    4(2 = 42 <---that just means that 4|2 is 42 so generalising a|b means ab

2 ( 1, 3, 6, 8 <----this therefore shows numbers 21, 23, 26, 28
    3 ( 2, 6 <------and so on
    4 ( 0, 5, 9 <-----and so on.

So in this case "|" just separates tens from units.
    Sorry guys, should have explained. My keyboard isn't working properly (am gonna have a new one fixed in), so as much as I tried, I couldn't get the line, and therefore used the bracket. Maybe it would help if I placed an unordered (and made up) set of data 1st:

36, 49, 21, 28, 49, 23, 32, 46, 40.

Oh, by the way, when you've finished the stem and leaf diagram, check how many numbers you have in the given set of data, and in your diagram, as it's easy to miss out one or two.

Also, in the key, 4|20 would represent 420, with the | separating the 100s and the 10s.
    (am able to use the | now, by copying and pasting it from the previous post.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)

Hey
    They are really easy and simple but difficult to explain. Ask your maths teacher. They are so unbelievably simplae to do and you can do them really quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Sorry guys, should have explained. My keyboard isn't working properly (am gonna have a new one fixed in), so as much as I tried, I couldn't get the line, and therefore used the bracket. Maybe it would help if I placed an unordered (and made up) set of data 1st:

36, 49, 21, 28, 49, 23, 32, 46, 40.

Oh, by the way, when you've finished the stem and leaf diagram, check how many numbers you have in the given set of data, and in your diagram, as it's easy to miss out one or two.

Also, in the key, 4|20 would represent 420, with the | separating the 100s and the 10s.
    (am able to use the | now, by copying and pasting it from the previous post.)
    ???????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????? ???????????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    ???????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????? ???????????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
    Get yourself a book on statistics...it should teach you stem and leaf there with detailed examples, eric.

ReputationRep:
    Get yourself a book on statistics...it should teach you stem and leaf there with detailed examples, eric.
    what are you insane??

i dont wanna learn that!!!!

do you wanna join the way?

ReputationRep:
    He's doing his GCSEs, so he doesn't need to know all thi stuff. It is a pretty easy topic though, and I'M sure that even GCSE students would be able to understand about it if theY read about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    He's doing his GCSEs, so he doesn't need to know all thi stuff. It is a pretty easy topic though, and I'M sure that even GCSE students would be able to understand about it if theY read about it.
    wanting to understand and not wanting to is very different

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.