Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So glad I was here before the coffe proedure.. :p:

I adore being politically incorrect, the damn things just got silly now.

ReputationRep:
    So SO SOOOOO sorry to say that though! most a groaner than a laugher!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    :rofl: what you mean spreading?? sounds like something from the labour party conference
    hehe, You must rep 6 people before you can rep the same person again.

ReputationRep:
    its ok...i repped him for the sheep one....
    just waiting for the negative rep from that steven hawkins comment though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    hehe, You must rep 6 people before you can rep the same person again.
    ahh right, 11 points off my second gem woohoo

ReputationRep:
    A collection of injustices

:rofl: Just been reading these and some of these things are absolutely ridiculous. The amount of hypocrisy going on.. anyway:

Criminals are being spared prison sentences because jails are overcrowded and there isn't enough money to build new ones. But a £2 million scheme has begun for painting jail cells pink to make the inmates feel happier. Cell walls have already been redecorated in a variety of other pastel shades at five prisons. Flowers and ornaments have been placed in cells and on landings in order to make prisoners feel 'calmer'. (November 2003)

What?! Make them feel calmer? What for, and how are pink walls gonna do it? They deserve to be worked up and frustrated why make them feel happy?

"Wounded Para Ricky Trueman came home last month from Iraq to his family in Doncaster to a hero's reception. The house was festooned with yellow ribbons, balloons and 'welcome home' banners.But a local council official didn't like the welcome party and promptly ordered the decorations to be taken down on the grounds they were a 'safety hazard'. Ricky, who suffered shrapnel wounds in a land-mine blast near Basra said; "After what I've been through it leaves a bad taste." (June 2003)"

Right yeah because helium balloons are dangerous, what is with this pretext that you can't say or do anything because it's a "safety hazard". I heard this one guy had to take this Union Jack down, which must've had the potential hazard of a paper bag, because it was a 'safety hazard' (obviously a lie, it was taken down for its breach of the unwritten laws of PC)

Greater Manchester police have run-up a bill sending Christmas cards to all known villains in the area pleading with them not to offend any more. (January 2003)

Why don't you send them to all the non offenders thanking them for not comitting any crimes?

BLACK teenager Daniel Jethoo was racially abused by white youths in a pub in Herfordshire. He went home and returned with a sword. By then his abusers had gone, and so he picked on another White, Bradley Knight, who had had nothing to do with the previous incident, and plunged the sword right through him. Knight died of his wounds. At court last month Jethoo was acquitted of murder but was convicted of manslaughter and wounding with intent. Giving him a six-year sentence, Judge Findlay Baker expressed sympathy with him over the `racist' abuse and ruled that this was a mitigating factor! (Sept. 2002)

That's just one of the examples where political correctness gets beyond the silly disputes over sheep colour and gets serious.

In conclusion, it's quite obvious, something needs to be done, I'm afraid a few tweaks isn't enough we really do need a bit of a reform...

ReputationRep:
    ALL THOSE WHO WANT JUSTICE, COME FORWARD AND BE COUNTED.

The well being of this country needs you.

ASK YOURSELF:
    - Are you sick of leaving the house, concerned that your ipod might get stolen, or that you might get "happy slapped" by a gang of idiots from 'da hood'?
    - Do you think schools are too easy on bad pupils?
    - Are you annoyed when you read about dirty women parading around nightclubs stirring fights between men with a brain the size of a garden pee?
    - Do you think the police should have more power when dealing with chavs?
    - Do you think Tony Blair is too soft on criminals?
    - Tired of rapists strolling out of prison after a couple of years? and Would you like to see some real justice in our legal system?

If you answered "yes" to any of the above questions, then you should join the Justice Society.
    More people fear crime than ever before, and I, like so many others, want to see faith restored into our legal system once and for all.

No liberal crime-apathetic loonies in this thread thanks.

................................ ................................ ................................ ........

MEMBERS:
    - beekeeper (Chief Justice)
    - Kalibantre (Lady Justice)
    - hearthethunder
    - Vixen
    - TK
    - Flukey
    - MrsJones
    - cattericksmiler
    - seaspray
    - milady
    - Technik
    - phillipsm
    - Brown Eyed Girl
    - Antonius Varus
    - bikerx23
    - Jessicarabbit (P.C. Rabbit)

................................ ................................ ................................ ........
    MEMBER OF THE MONTH:
    -
    ................................ ................................ ................................ .......
    Honest and serious question here for you, Beekeper. Forget about the practicalities for a moment: If there was a rehabilitation system that existed that was guaranteed to make offenders better people, would you prefer it to a more punishment based system? Or would you decide not to rehabilitate them, even though you had the chance, because you would rather see offenders punished?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inequality)
    Honest and serious question here for you, Beekeper. Forget about the practicalities for a moment: If there was a rehabilitation system that existed that was guaranteed to make offenders better people, would you prefer it to a more punishment based system? Or would you decide not to rehabilitate them, even though you had the chance, because you would rather see offenders punished?
    I can't just give you a "yes" or "no" answer here, you'd have to ask a few questions:
    Would it deter others from committing such crimes, if they knew they would not be punished?
    Would it be fair on the victim, knowing that effectively justice has not been weighed out, and only they have come out worse off?
    Could the nature of the rehab allow for it to be done in prison, so that they are being both rehabilitated and punished?

If somebody batters a pensioner in the street, do you think the grandchildren of the pensioner would be happy that the offender has simply been rehabilitated, and not been punished?

ReputationRep:
    I can't just give you a "yes" or "no" answer here, you'd have to ask a few questions:
    Would it deter others from committing such crimes, if they knew they would not be punished?
    Would it be fair on the victim, knowing that effectively justice has not been weighed out, and only they have come out worse off?
    Could the nature of the rehab allow for it to be done in prison, so that they are being both rehabilitated and punished?

If somebody batters a pensioner in the street, do you think the grandchildren of the pensioner would be happy that the offender has simply been rehabilitated, and not been punished?
    Even if rehabilitation was COMPLETELY guaranteed, I'd still prefere to see the criminal punished first, and serve their full term.

ReputationRep:

I wouldn't murder on the principle that it's wrong, not because I don't like the idea of prison. I suppose prison could act as a deterrent for some crimes, but I believe that in order to stop crimes being committed, understanding is more effective than deterring. People need to be educated, and hopefully will not consider crime in the first place. I know I'm looking at this from an idealistic viewpoint. Also bear in mind that a lot of crimes are comitted because people think they can get away with it. In that sense, prison doesn't act as a deterrent.

The second question is a difficult one. I don't think that revenge is a good attitude to have, but I have not really been victim to any nasty crimes - I'm sure my attitude would be different if I had. Although I can sympathise with victims who want 'justice' as you put it, I don't agree with the 'eye for an eye' principle.

Hopefully the rehabilitation process would act as a punishment. Offenders would have their freedom taken away, and would be forced to understand why what they did was wrong. But I think that purposefully enflicting emotional or physical pain on a prisoner would just make them worse than they already are.

Those are my views. I didn't come on this thread to criticise - just to question your opinions, and listen to your responses.

ReputationRep:
    If your seeing this from an idealistic perspective...surely it would be best to test someone and see what sort of crimes they were capable of commiting, and using your wonderful system rehabilitate someone - i.e. to stop the problem before its started.
    but, doing that...what would happen to our free will and individuality?

ReputationRep:
    And here we get on to a "minority Report" situation..

just because you're capable and willing doesnt mean yuo will. I've thought about stealing, hurting and kiling. I'm sure I could infact do it. but I don't.

So I'd be punished for crimes not yet commited.

Rehabilitation is a good idea, when coupled with punishement.

ReputationRep:
    *pops open a bottle of jesus juice*

Woooo lets celebrate the fact that we don't have the American legal system!!!

ReputationRep:
    Jesus juice??

this isnt the same as th other special juice i get told to drink is it??

Can't believe not one of those charges was guilty. i mean wtf?! just for kicks there should have been one. but the blokes stupidly ****ing poor now..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalibantre)
    Jesus juice??

Can't believe not one of those charges was guilty. i mean wtf?! just for kicks there should have been one. but the blokes stupidly ****ing poor now..
    Disgusting, there was children giving evidence in court, telling them how he gave them jesus juice and abused them!!!

The American Legal system is going to be soooo criticised for this!

ReputationRep:
    Jesus juice??

That's the American Court system for you... they can't convict him he's a celebrity. I mean he even admitted some of the charges, he's clearly mentally deranged, and yet the court says "No Michael, YOU DIDNT supply alcohol to a minor like you JUST said, you're not guilty ok?"... if that kid was abused imagine how he feels now.

Injustice was served.

ReputationRep:
    And here we get on to a "minority Report" situation..

just because you're capable and willing doesnt mean yuo will. I've thought about stealing, hurting and kiling. I'm sure I could infact do it. but I don't.

So I'd be punished for crimes not yet commited.

Rehabilitation is a good idea, when coupled with punishement.
    Oh...so thats what that films about...thank god i wont have to watch it now - sounds awful!
    It is a true disgrace that he got off...i just cant wait for the next one to come around (i have a feeling when he tries it on with what isnt basically a family of scrounging gippo's they will get him...)
    still...if he wants someone to ply with alcohol...my mates could always do with a piss-up and a laugh at his deteriorating facial features.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure if he did molest these kids, and if he did he meant to. I think he's in serious need of pschiactric care. There's something obviouly not right. again maybe Jail isnt the right answer but something does need to be done.

And the guy should be punished for soemthing, He admitted the alcohol to a minor charges didnt he?? I mean how can you not convict someoe of what they confes!!

ReputationRep:
    oops what did i do here?

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm test

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.