Turn on thread page Beta

How much revision have you been doing? watch

ReputationRep:
    I want honest answers, because reading through these forums it seems as if everyone has been revising for hours every day, for weeks on end. I'm not gonna lie to you, I know I should have done more, I only started revision last sunday, but I need to be reassured. yeh, my gcses would no doubt have been better if id done more revision, but am i actually doing that much less than everyone else? i find that just doing an hour or two the day before the exam, although it might not sound much, actually helps a lot..
    most people at my school have done more work than me for these exams, but i duno if thats just cos my school has that kind of work ethic.. well, hit me straight up, is everyone really that conscientious, or are there plenty of people like me, taking a more laid back approach... how much revision have you really been doing?

ReputationRep:
    I did write a reply, then realised I wasn't doing enough revision. So Im off for fun FUN chemistry!

ReputationRep:
    well i have been doin most nights before, but i do more than a couple hours in that day cos u need to cover the whole syllabus....for chem for eg....goin thru all the cgp revision took me bout 5-6 hours

ReputationRep:
    From May 20th (end of school) I usually did about 5 hours a day, but with breaks, so it was spread out. But I have been revising since Easter.

ReputationRep:
    I stick to revisin purely on day before and day of exam, i find i remember it best this way and im am more motivated than revising 2 months beforehand

ReputationRep:
    Ive been revising for a few hours per subject but not all at the same time (i can only revise in short burst of about 40mins because i have zero ceoncentration).
    I find it depends on the subject, for my Graphics exam i just read the revision guide and it took me about 2 hours but for geography i spent about 4 or 5 hours in one go, but I think that was because all i have done is a grand total of three pages work this year because our teacher is so crap.
    So all in all about 3 or 4 hours per subject i guess.

ReputationRep:
    Wow thats made me feel so much better about what im doing. Im doing about 3 hours a day at the moment. THe best thing i find is if you revise a topic just before you go to sleep then you remember it perfectly. So thats what im doing with the harder things.

ReputationRep:
    I start revising for a subject about 5 days before the exam. And the amount of revision I do varies depending on how much I need. Sciences I give more time to. History, French and Englishes I didn't really do that much. Took a big risk going into that History exam but it was all good in the end. I did plan to be doing loads of revision since Easter but it hasn't happened tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyboy123)
    Wow thats made me feel so much better about what im doing. Im doing about 3 hours a day at the moment. THe best thing i find is if you revise a topic just before you go to sleep then you remember it perfectly. So thats what im doing with the harder things.
    Well if that works for you then thats cool but I dont think that would work for most people. Surely before you go sleep you're tired and so can't focus on the work as much, same thing as first in the morning. Your brain is winding down at night, it dont work so good. But like I said, if it works for you then no-one can slate it ....

ReputationRep:
    I am not doing much at all, but as I mentioned in another topic, I have worked hard enough these past two years to know most of it so I'm ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Candy_Shop)
    I did plan to be doing loads of revision since Easter but it hasn't happened tbh.
    Same for me.....I planned to start months ago but never "got round to it" - oh I how regret it now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    Same for me.....I planned to start months ago but never "got round to it" - oh I how regret it now...
    lol, there's no worse feeling than looking at your exam paper and thinking "oh jesus, I skipped that page in the guide" or "I forgot to revise that bit :P"

ReputationRep:
    I don't do much. I find it's better to be relaxed about the exams because things that you learnt 2 years ago suddenly pop back into your head. Revision just scares me looking at all the stuff I was supposed to learn, and I really wonder whether the people who do hours of revision everyday since Easter and do endless past papers do that much better than everyone else. I might regret not doing as much when I collect my results, but oh well. GCSES aren't that important are they? They seem a terrifying prospect when you're in year 7, but when you actually get round to doing them, they aren't as stressful as a lot make out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kenada)
    lol, there's no worse feeling than looking at your exam paper and thinking "oh jesus, I skipped that page in the guide" or "I forgot to revise that bit :P"
    LOL Don't even go there.....that happened to me in the Biology exam....the last page was on bird adaptations....I thought oh sh*t I skipped this page because I was sure it wouldn't come up as it came up in last years exam :rolleyes: How wrong I was :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Honestly i have been revising for about two months now, hope it all pays off in the end.

ReputationRep:
    I've been revising on and off for around 2 months, I was only doing really small revision until early/mid May though, before I started gradually doing more as the exams got closer.

ReputationRep:
    hardly any, i'm so ******* lazy. i find it really really hard to motivate myself to work. some subjects i do more than others though.

double science - probably done the most about five hours in total
    music - none
    latin - like an hour the day before
    english language - none
    english lit - none
    maths - none
    history - i read the textbook 30 mins before my paper 1!
    geography - about 3 hours in total

in spite of all this i'm hoping to get 9A*s. aarrgh...is that way too much to ask? i know i don't even deserve to pass...

ReputationRep:
    lol i find the best way is to go in one the days when your exam in the avo, revise in the morning, then just relax and stay calm during lucnh, then do the exam, lol, but if i've got any exam in the morning, i havent had one that really bad yet, but i've got maths on wed morning, so i'll revise night before and on the train.

ReputationRep:
    very little actually. About on hour's worth of revision the night before the exam, silly me.

ReputationRep:
    hahahaha not much. i get easily distracted and i always phone people up and arrange to go out...oops...lol

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.