Turn on thread page Beta

Questions from a French student - Please Help! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I may be coming to Imperial College next year as an Erasmus student (final year - Biological Sciences).
    I received a letter from the student accommodation office yesterday, and it says i have an unconditionnal offer (offer status : firm ; clearing : no). What does it exactly mean? (and what's the difference between conditional/unconditional/insurance offer?) PLEASE HELP ME!! (and if possible before tonight... i'm leaving for Norway tomorrow morning)

Thanks

Anne-Mathilde

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Very generally, a conditional offer means that your place depends on you getting certain grades. An unconditional offer means that you have a place at the university regardless of what what grades you achieve.

I'm not sure about and insurance 'offer' but through the UK UCAS system of university admission, when you have have made up your mind about where you want to go, you decide on one university as your 'firm' place (the place you really want to go to) and another as your 'insurance' (the place you will go to if you don't get high enough grades for your firm).

I think your letter means that you have got an unconditional offer of a place (ie there are no grade specifications), and the clearing bit simply refers to the system whereby all of the 'spare' places are allocated in August / September (which you haven't gone through, so don't worry about it).

Hope this helps!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    To summarise what Paeony said, they're just saying that you're guaranteed a place at the university. It is presumably just the same as the letters they send to all the students who have applied through UCAS so they've used the UCAS 'jargon' to say it. Assuming it's only them that you've applied to, you needn't worry about conditional offers or insurance options.
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! It helped.
    So I will be attending IC next year... cool

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.