Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

How much is 500mb?!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I just a new contract and it allows me 500mb of internet on my phone, but how much is that?!

Thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    well loading a page is very little, but one song could be up to 3-4mb if ur downloading it. Obviously I don't know the details of the contract but I assume is the about downloaded. (when you go onto any page you download it automatically, so theres no avoiding that)

ReputationRep:
    500000000bytes?
    orrrr
    500000kb
    orrrrr
    0.5gb

You will never use it.

It's plenty is what it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Me)
    I just a new contract and it allows me 500mb of internet on my phone, but how much is that?!

Thanks xx
    Most websites are 50kb so thats 10,000 web pages a month. Have fun trying to reach that :p:. Though music can be 3-4mb and an average film is 700mb but I doubt you're going to be downloading films on your phone through cellula data :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It is more than enough for a mobile phone as long as your not constantly downloading.

i recently got a 500mb limit on my phone.
    the weekend i got my new phone i used 70mb browsing (full) facebook and pictures.

the limit only counts 3G data that they provide, surely - not wifi?

ReputationRep:
    you answered it yourself... its 500 mb

ReputationRep:
    500MB should be plenty for general web browsing, and maybe downloading a few songs/videos. Most users will find that they won't reach the allowance. I think the only way you could exceed this is if you were using data-intensive applications a lot, for example internet radio, constantly streaming audio or video (Spotify/YouTube), or peer-to-peer file transfers (which most networks don't allow anyway).

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    i recently got a 500mb limit on my phone.
    the weekend i got my new phone i used 70mb browsing (full) facebook and pictures.

Of course, how can they charge for a service they don't provide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    That is correct. The allowance you are given is for use over the cellular network, whether that be 3G, GPRS or EDGE. When you're using Wi-Fi, data is transferred over your home network or whatever Wi-Fi hotspot you're connected to, and not the network.

ReputationRep:
    a letter is 8bit's (before taking into concideration font, size, colour..etc) . so 128 letters per kb. 131072 per mb. 65536000 for 500mb. so roughly about a days worth of internet browsing with no images.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeL230)
    500000000bytes?
    orrrr
    500000kb
    orrrrr
    0.5gb

You will never use it.
    Or 4000000000 Bits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca118)
    Or 4000000000 Bits.
    This guy knows what he's talking about :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imhiya)
    a letter is 8bit's (before taking into concideration font, size, colour..etc) . so 128 letters per kb. 131072 per mb. 65536000 for 500mb. so roughly about a days worth of internet browsing with no images.
    A day, of browsing? 500mb? No chance mate

(Original post by imhiya)
    So you reckon you can read 65 million characters on a mobile in one day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeL230)
    This guy knows what he's talking about :yep:
    I did it in my last physics lesson! :proud:

ReputationRep:
    well 1 byte is the smallest. 1000byte = 1kb. 1000kb =1mb. 1000mb = 1gb. 1000gb =1tb. In terms of browsing, I think its sufficient provided your not torrenting or just streaming videos as that will rinse it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    So you reckon you can read 65 million characters on a mobile in one day?
    Maybe he is reading The Art Of War multiple times in a day...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hendy)
    500MB should be plenty for general web browsing, and maybe downloading a few songs/videos. Most users will find that they won't reach the allowance. I think the only way you could exceed this is if you were using data-intensive applications a lot, for example internet radio, constantly streaming audio or video (Spotify/YouTube), or peer-to-peer file transfers (which most networks don't allow anyway).

Hope this helps.
    This.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.