Turn on thread page Beta

The Watergate Scandal...help! watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I've got my General Studies GCSE Exam tomorrow, and I'm not 100% sure about the watergate scandal...

Can somebody explain it to me in simple terms?
    Why did President Nixon resign?
    Apparently the burglars were somehow connected to someone close to the president/white-house.....who, how? etc...confused!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acting_Fr3ak)
    Okay, I've got my General Studies GCSE Exam tomorrow, and I'm not 100% sure about the watergate scandal...

Can somebody explain it to me in simple terms?
    Why did President Nixon resign?
    Apparently the burglars were somehow connected to someone close to the president/white-house.....who, how? etc...confused!
    In simple terms: the republicans spied on the democrats who were having a conference at the Watergate Hotel (their HQ) concerning the next election and Nixon's spies wanted to know what they were discussing so they broke in and tried to steal stuff like documents, no one knows what they were looking for exactly. When the FBI tried to investigate Nixon (or his party) tried to get the CIA to stop the FBI. then some one from the FIB with a lot of gut and a conscience came forward and told the press - end of it was that this was of course a huge scandal that resulted in convictions and jail time for several high-ranking members of the administration and led to Nixon's impeachment and eventual resignation.
    Until now it was not known who this man was, to everyone he was just known as Deep Throat, but now we know it's the FBI agent Mark Felt.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100655_pf.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adarah)
    In simple terms: the republicans spied on the democrats who were having a conference at the Watergate Hotel (their HQ) concerning the next election and Nixon's spies wanted to know what they were discussing so they broke in and tried to steal stuff like documents, no one knows what they were looking for exactly. When the FBI tried to investigate Nixon (or his party) tried to get the CIA to stop the FBI. then some one from the FIB with a lot of gut and a conscience came forward and told the press - end of it was that this was of course a huge scandal that resulted in convictions and jail time for several high-ranking members of the administration and led to Nixon's impeachment and eventual resignation.
    Until now it was not known who this man was, to everyone he was just known as Deep Throat, but now we know it's the FBI agent Mark Felt.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100655_pf.html
    Nixon was never actually impeached, he resigned before that could happen

ReputationRep:
    There's a good article on Wiki; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watergate

And 'Deep Throat' finally came forward...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    Nixon was never actually impeached, he resigned before that could happen
    ah... ok, thanks

ReputationRep:
    wikipedia is very straightforward on watergate.

The BBC have a good section on watergate too
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4597503.stm

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 13, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.