Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Western Society is built on things that cause cancer,

ReputationRep:
    ah right ok. you learn something new every day

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm in favour of the ban in public places, you can hardly sit down anywhere in town without having to distance yourself from smoking areas, and then you walk past someone and start coughing... I mean someone may aswell try and inject you with carcinogens every time you walk past a smoker becuase that's what's happening...

ReputationRep:
    I work in a completely non-snoking restaurant and despite all the signs we still get people coming in sitting down lighting up and then asking where the ashtrays are!

I dont mind it outside if its not being forced on you. the one thing i really cant stasnd is seeing someone either pregnant or pushing a baby pram and puffing away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kard)
    Western Society is built on things that cause cancer,
    you mean like granite?

ReputationRep:
    I find the smell of cigarette smoke nauseating in the extreme, and I'm absolutely disgusted by certain unknown people who smoke in lifts and leave the repulsive smell behind, causing so much inconvenience for people who do not wish to breathe in the toxic smoke. I'm extremely glad that in Singapore, we are taught from young that smoking kills and therefore all my friends are sensible enough not to pick up such a vulgar and - to put it plainly - completely foolish habit.

ReputationRep:
    Smokers r irresponsible to their own health and their families`!!

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I agree with most people about smoking. Its not big and its not clever. I wonder how many people who say they plan to stop, will actually do. Remember, its an addiction and you are addicted to it and that's probably stopping you from quitting now.

Chemical dependence ain't my thing.

ReputationRep:
    Also, what about the rights of people that don't smoke? The millions of people who aren't hooked on ****. We shouldn't HAVE to breathe in your smoke. I propose smokers to wear helmets which can be hooked up into ventilation systems of most public places so that the majority of people who value their health shouldn't have to endure your smoke...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    That is a rather stupid thing to say. I think that you'd find one of the largest incentives to stop smoking is the extra disposable income. My mum spends around £3000 a year on cigarettes.

Do you donate £3000 a year to charity because you don't smoke?
    There is nothing 'rather stupid' in what I said. Please don't make judgements like that; especially when you miss the point of my argument. I KNOW people wouldn't give the money to charity - that was not my point! I'm not 'stupid' enough to think that people would just merrily stop smoking and give £3000 to charity a year; in the same way that I wouldn't give up chocolate and donate £250 per year to Africa; but that is besides the point.

The point is that smokers who claim they are unable to give up smoking because it's 'soooo hard, you don't realise how hard' should stop for a minute and consider that they do have a CHOICE over whether to - a) harm their own health; b) harm the health of others; and c) waste the NHS' money; unlike the thousands of people who die with NO choice - from hunger, poverty and the like.

I am not such an idealist that I think people would (or should) give up smoking in order to prevent poverty and hunger; I am just stating that when you put the issue in this kind of context, it shows just how ridiculous smoking is, on every level.

ReputationRep:
    If you ban it in pubs, pubs will lose. You won't have nigh clubs to go out in. The majority of people that keep pubs open, the regulars, drink and smoke. if you tell them they can't smoke they jut wont go there.. It#s pretty blantant.

and as for having the will power, get a grip its ****ing addictive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izzy_hattie)
    *lights up in thread*
    May I say that is the most TOTALLY politically incorrect thing I have seen since I joined this board, and that it's an absolute PLEASURE to meet you!!

Seriously though, I've been smoking for years - and I don't have saggy skin with a yellow tinge blah blah - but I've ALWAYS been considerate to non-smokers, as have the MAJORITY of my generation. Why the sudden increase in NON-consideration amongst smokers to n/s? Is it a trait of the MODERN generation? Because it sure as hell isn't a trait of MINE.

ReputationRep:
    May I say that is the most TOTALLY politically incorrect thing I have seen since I joined this board, and that it's an absolute PLEASURE to meet you!!
    You obviously haven't seen the Authoritarian thread then.

ReputationRep:
    im going to miss smoking after these exams personally think it's great. Obviously not the effects, but i've promised myself to quit after these exams after 3 years, plus it's costing me £2,30 a day or £839.50 a year which quite frankly is outrageous.

ReputationRep:
    Pubs are the worst thing, but luckily there are loads of pubs near me so if its too smokey I simply walk out. As a modern consumer I shouldn't have to put up with it.

Smoking on buses is a different matter and I have yet to decide what to do about it. Complaining to the bus company won't do anything so I do complain to the transport executive i.e GMPTE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Pubs are the worst thing, but luckily there are loads of pubs near me so if its too smokey I simply walk out. As a modern consumer I shouldn't have to put up with it.

Smoking on buses is a different matter and I have yet to decide what to do about it. Complaining to the bus company won't do anything so I do complain to the transport executive i.e GMPTE?
    you mean daft charvers smoking on the top deck of a double decker at the back? why don't you just sit downstairs or open the window?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalibantre)
    If you ban it in pubs, pubs will lose. You won't have nigh clubs to go out in. The majority of people that keep pubs open, the regulars, drink and smoke. if you tell them they can't smoke they jut wont go there.. It#s pretty blantant.

and as for having the will power, get a grip its ****ing addictive!
    Certainly near me the pubs will stay open, most people don't smoke near me anyway, it also has the highest amount of graduates possibly in anywhere in the UK.

In Dublin for example the pubs are still very busy. The only people that think pubs will close is smokers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by durhamlad1)
    you mean daft charvers smoking on the top deck of a double decker at the back? why don't you just sit downstairs or open the window?
    Opening the window dosn't do anything, and half the time its single decker buses, I never sit upstairs becuase of the smoking problem, but why should I have to sit downtairs where there are no seats just becuase some chav thats smoking.

Its totoaly ilegal and wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe we should create a Giving Up Smoking Society?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, England's pretty good on smoking really... I'm out here in China where it seems like pretty much all of the male population smoke... it gets ridiculous the amount of times cigarrettes are offered to you. Doing wonders for my lungs :P! I do think it should be banned in enclosed public spaces though, there's just nowhere for it to escape to and means that everyone else is breathing it in. If it was banned in all enclosed public spaces then it wouldn't cause a drop in pub and club attendance, since there would be no alternative. People would just have to smoke at home - maybe before or after they go drinking :P

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.