Turn on thread page Beta

i don't hate people who smoke...i just don't approve

ReputationRep:
    I object to have to go out of a country pub to smoke. Pubs are alcoholy, smokey places. They should have a non-smoking section and propper ventilation.

ReputationRep:
    I sympathise with AT. It is a pain in the arse when people start smoking on buses. (And yes it is usually the chavs...or any younger, underage youth) After having to pay a silly amount to travel on a service that is already dirty, unreliable and the drivers not knowing the route I don't like to have to put up with feeling the need to choke.
    Unfortunatly there are some people who have smoked too much and just emit the smell of it anyway without the need to spark up. And this smell is always strong enough to taste it. It's just frustrating to get on a bus and then have someone sit next to you who would be better as a chimney. Especially not good when you get travel sickness.

What can you do about it though...try asking a someone (read as chav) to stop smoking and it's highly unlikely they will. And the bus driver can't do anything...I have seen plenty smoking on the bus anyway. Oh and you can hardly tell someone to get off the bus because they reek of smoke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philip2004)
    i went to morrisons and the cafe has a smoking area and now my clothes stink and i only had a bath last night so how many of you like smoking or smoke in general
    i hate smoking almost as much as sentences with no grammar whatsoever which are very hard to read but yes smoking smells pretty bad and pisses me off

ReputationRep:
    Smoking? What for? Why would anyone want to smoke their body mass away?
    :eek:

And smoke what exactly? Smoking teabags isn't bad.

ReputationRep:
    I dont smoke, i never have, not even one.
    - I hate people who smoke openly thoughout the day.
    - I'd never go out with anyone who smoked regularly.
    - And i dont have any friends who smoke regularly.

That said, i know quite a few people who smoke (tabaco, and otherwise) occationly, when at a pub or club, and i dont really mind them doing that, especially if im drunk.

Daniel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luize)
    Unfortunatly there are some people who have smoked too much and just emit the smell of it anyway without the need to spark up. And this smell is always strong enough to taste it. It's just frustrating to get on a bus and then have someone sit next to you who would be better as a chimney. Especially not good when you get travel sickness.
    Oh yes, I've experienced this sometimes on trains and it's really awful. The fact that it's already so damn hard to find a empty seat on the train during peak hours and I had to be so unlucky as to find someone reeking of the cigarette smell plonk down happily on the seat beside me oblivious to my immense suffering, it's suicidal to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    Just let people smoke if they want to - it's there decision.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking is a disgusting habit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigmy Goat)
    heh thats what my Dad said when he was trying some crack.
    "Its my body and i'll smoke what I like, I only want to try it this one time"

ReputationRep:
    not if it damages you

ReputationRep:
    But that's the whole argument here, people who smoke in enclosed areas are making the decision for other people who don't want to put up with their smoking/effects. So to some extent it's not just their decision.

To me, it's also a case of being inconsiderate and not respecting other people, particularly people you don't know.

My mum smokes outside, and I can still smell it and it still enters the house (particularly the kitchen which is worse). Ick :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Commander V)
    not if it damages you
    Exactly, passive smoking can be just as bad in some cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown Eyed Girl)
    my dad smoked like 40 a day... my doctor said he was as helathy as a new born chid... didn't believe him about his jobs cause he wasn't stressed and didn't believe him that he did smoke and drink lol.
    Only if he would be able to see his lungs :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    smoking = nasty.

MOrrisons = who i work for

My parents smoke around me and everywhere I go in the house. I swear its not good for me!

I reak of smoke but I still dont, I think tis nasty

BIBI, im off to poker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    The only people that think pubs will close is smokers.
    I don't smoke, and i know they will close. I'm the one who sweeps up the fag ends and passes out ash trays to the people that pay my wages and the mainentence on my bar. the people that spend 50 a night in a pub and keep it going are smokers.

if the bars stay open round you great. but Liverpool's night lie which is pretty damn good would cease.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bricktops)
    passive smoking kills 30 people a day
    And you got that fact from ....

ReputationRep:
    basically the way i see it is. Smoking is ideally suited to pubs and clubs, and as a (now occassional - although it'll probably/hopefully stop over the summer) smoker I don't have a problem with it, however it isn't very nice in resturants and i imagine if i didn't smoke i would hate it so overall i would want a ban in public places i think.

The thing non-smokers don't get about smoking is that its actually relaxing and enjoyable thats why people continue to smoke dispite the health warnings.
    But it does kill you, which sucks quite alot.

Oh and one other thing, if you're thinking of quitting, quit before uni. theres no way you can possibly manage it after you've moved away from home, unless you are very strong willed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by looby3)
    Smoking is a disgusting habit!
    Agreed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren18)
    There is nothing 'rather stupid' in what I said. Please don't make judgements like that; especially when you miss the point of my argument. I KNOW people wouldn't give the money to charity - that was not my point! I'm not 'stupid' enough to think that people would just merrily stop smoking and give £3000 to charity a year; in the same way that I wouldn't give up chocolate and donate £250 per year to Africa; but that is besides the point.

The point is that smokers who claim they are unable to give up smoking because it's 'soooo hard, you don't realise how hard' should stop for a minute and consider that they do have a CHOICE over whether to - a) harm their own health; b) harm the health of others; and c) waste the NHS' money; unlike the thousands of people who die with NO choice - from hunger, poverty and the like.

I am not such an idealist that I think people would (or should) give up smoking in order to prevent poverty and hunger; I am just stating that when you put the issue in this kind of context, it shows just how ridiculous smoking is, on every level.

what about how much the taxes on smoking pay towards the NHS and other things.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.