Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I've got my General Studies GCSE Exam tomorrow, and I'm not 100% sure about the watergate scandal...

Can somebody explain it to me in simple terms?
    Why did President Nixon resign?
    Apparently the burglars were somehow connected to someone close to the president/white-house.....who, how? etc...confused!

ReputationRep:
    Nixon resigned to avoid impeachment (when the president can no longer continue as president by which the congress rules).

the 5 men were connected to an organisation called CREEP (committe to re-elect the president). they broke into the democratic headquaters.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watergate

Loads of information there.

And Deep Throat just came public! (Well, a few weeks ago now...).

ReputationRep:
    Basically:
    + June 1972 - 5 burglars, employed by CREEP, are caught inside the Democratic Offices in the Watergate Building
    + Nov 72 - Nixon is re-elected
    + March 73 - Nixon's investigation begins - lead by Archibald Cox
    + May 73 - Senate investigation begins - causes 3 senior resignations
    + Oct 73 - Nixon forced the Attorney General to sack Archibald Cox - Leon Jaworski appointed as new investigator
    + Apr 74 - Jaworksi receives 1200 pages of transcript of recordings from the White House - appeals to Sup. Court for all the tapes
    + July 74 - House of Rep. vote to impeach Nixon
    + Aug 74 - Nixon resigns - Gerald Ford replaces him - Nixon is pardoned

Basically, Nixon was involved in bugging the Democratic Offices, lied about it, and was therefore forced to resign before being put on trial

Good quotes;
    Nixon - "I am not a crook", "There will be no whitewash at the White House", No White House involvement in "bizarre incident".

Good Luck!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.