Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello everyone,

im currently taking my gcse's and as long as everything goes fine (5 a-c's) ill be taking the 2 year national diploma in media studies..
    i took it because i really liked the preview type thing they did, the teachers a real funny person and it just seems like a fun course (i had just looked at the equivelant course but for ICT, borrring)

well i was wondering if anyone had some first-hand experience with this course or knows anything about it?
    i've heard people say its just a easy course for people who want a grade, but i think that was the single A level one..

anyway hope i've made sense, any info on the course grealty appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about the course but do you want to go to University? If so have a look at entry requirements, for a lot of courses you will be fine, but you will find it very hard to get into any of the top 20 universities if you don't have additional AS or A2s.

I did AVCE ICT and AS Business Studies, I got an offer for all 6 courses So ignore people when they say it makes it hard to get into university it dosn't it just restricts your choices.

A levels would be better long term but if it dosn't rock your boat there is no point doing somthing that will make you unhappy for the next two years.

PS I started a BTEC National Diploma in Electronics and it wasn't easy They are much harder than GCSEs so don't worry about it being too easy.

ReputationRep:
    a levels are better hmm.. well i wouldnt mind doing them, but i was just looking foward to focusing on one subject.

i found a university course i liked though, to get in it says you need:220-240 points (A Levels – GCE or VCE); C in English Access Course – Pass International Baccalaureate – )

how do i work these points out?

ReputationRep:
    BTEC National Diplomas are equivalent to 3 A-levels and are graded by Distinction, Merit or Pass. These are the points you'd get for each grade:

DDD= 360
    DDM= 320
    DMM= 280
    MMM= 240
    MMP= 200
    MPP= 160
    PPP= 120

So to get onto that course, you'd need MMM.

If you want to focus on just one subject and can find university courses you like the sound of that accept BTECs instead of A-levels, go for it. A-levels aren't for everyone, and you might as well enjoy whatever you end up doibng for the next 2 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xnought)
    a levels are better hmm.. well i wouldnt mind doing them, but i was just looking foward to focusing on one subject.

i found a university course i liked though, to get in it says you need:220-240 points (A Levels – GCE or VCE); C in English Access Course – Pass International Baccalaureate – )

how do i work these points out?
    It sounds like you need a Merit like Kellywood said, if thats the course you want to do then go ahead do the BTEC, just make sure you have a backup plan i.e another university that apcepts BTECs as you might not got in.

A levels are only better for the right person and they are only really better becuase they offer more flexability.

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.