Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is natural, we need it to exsit, unlike homosexuality.
    The point is that there are many 'unnatural' things that help us to live, like verbal communication and computers. Being 'natural' does not make anything right or wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speleo)
    The point is that there are many 'unnatural' things that help us to live, like verbal communication and computers. Being 'natural' does not make anything right or wrong.
    verbal communication's quite useful for survival when you're saying "hey look out, there's a car coming towards you". or take it back to the 'natural' times..."hey, look out, there's a big f*ck off bear coming to eat you"

anyway, our natural evolution has made us more intelligent. why aren't computers natural? they don't grow...but they've been made by us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden Maverick)
    How about this for a fact, if you look down you will either notice you have a penis or a vagina. The penis is designed to enter the vagina, suggesting if we were designed at all, we were designed to be heterosexual.
    Which is why oral sex is just so wrong. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    I hate to say this and I'm sorry to any gay people I offend (if I do), but homosexuality is against nature in the way that two people of the same gender cannot reproduce. Heterosexuality is needed for reproduction and hence the evolution of the species.
    If it is against nature then why do they exist? Homosexuality would be bred out if it threatened a population. Two women in theory can reproduce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speleo)
    It does not make it easier to live, its NEEDED to live, like eating. If we all stopped doing it, the human race would be no more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    does that mean you say no when it's offered? :p:

ReputationRep:
    How about this for a fact, if you look down you will either notice you have a penis or a vagina. The penis is designed to enter the vagina, suggesting if we were designed at all, we were designed to be heterosexual.
    Please state your argument in a way that does not suggest intent, i.e. change the word 'designed'.

ok then pedant, we have "evolved"...etc

without heterosexuality there'd be no reproduction for us to evolve.
    Bisexuality would be fine too, why don't we do that?
    Raping random women would also spread your genes faster, why don't we do that?
    My answer would be - social factors, and therefore a mix of nature and nurture comes into play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    I hate to say this and I'm sorry to any gay people I offend (if I do), but homosexuality is against nature in the way that two people of the same gender cannot reproduce. Heterosexuality is needed for reproduction and hence the evolution of the species.
    So abortion is also against nature then?

ReputationRep:
    verbal communication's quite useful for survival when you're saying "hey look out, there's a car coming towards you". or take it back to the 'natural' times..."hey, look out, there's a big f*ck off bear coming to eat you"

anyway, our natural evolution has made us more intelligent. why aren't computers natural? they don't grow...but they've been made by us.
    So anything that is the product of humans is natural? Then I guess that includes any sexual orientation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motherless Child)
    I think the media has a lot to do with it.

Young boys with TV's in their rooms can be watching stuff like Eurotrash, and either find the women attract, the men attractive - or both.

If they're not aware of both, then they would just go for what is normal.

I don't think it is nature, because I don't think being gay is natural, or else women could get women pregnent, and men could get men pregnant. In my opinion, the world was made for men to be with women, and thats it.

Also, 'role models' on television, such as maybe Graham Norton (shudders) could have an influence on young boys/men. Graham Norton is a funny guy, people like him, he's GAY. That must be the answer for them....

Motherless Child
    You guys are getting the wrong end of the stick here. sexuality is determined patly by completely natural things such as hormones and brain anatomy. Women can (or at least could potentially) get pregnant without men. The world was made by whom for men to be with women?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    does that mean you say no when it's offered? :p:
    I'm not the one who advocates against homosexuality on the basis of it being unnatural and/or lacking procreation because there are many other things that these people do not apply the same logic in other situations.

ReputationRep:
    It does not make it easier to live, its NEEDED to live, like eating. If we all stopped doing it, the human race would be no more.
    What about bisexuality? If everyone was bisexual we wouldn't die out, but I guess that's not 'natural' :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiron)
    If it is against nature then why do they exist? Homosexuality would be bred out if it threatened a population. Two women in theory can reproduce.
    two men in theory could also reproduce but it doesn't happen naturally. i can't answer your question.

i couldn't give a toss about someone's sexuality. whether your gay, straight, bi, or other, as long as you're a decent person, you're my friend.

ReputationRep:
    If your argument is that homosexuals cant reproduce therefore it is against nature, then do impotent men and barren women "go against nature"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    i'm not gay, but a lot of brilliant people have been - like philosophers of the past, artists of the Renaissance (Michelangelo, DaVinci possibly, etc.), famous writers of the twentieth century (Tenessee Williams, etc) and loads of others. Basically, their traits benefit humankind, even though they, themselves, cannot reproduce through homosexual means.

ReputationRep:
    So abortion is also against nature then?
    natural abortion = miscarriage = natural. other abortion isn't natural, but that's not to say i wouldn't have one. (although obviously i can't say now, because i've never been pregnant, but i wouldn't rule it out)

ReputationRep:
    Argh guys! I'm not saying being gay is bad. I'm saying that according to evolution and nature, it's not what is the best idea, seeing as they can't reproduce. if everyone was gay then there would be no more human race. two of my best friends are gay and the only difference it makes is that i get to listen to them blabber on about fit guys instead of fit girls.

ReputationRep:
    Who said anything about right and wrong? Not me. Anything as pleasurable as oral sex can't be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    natural abortion = miscarriage = natural.
    I was referring to those performed by doctors. People often cherry pick over reasoning with naturalness regarding one scenario and not another, including this one.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon homosexuality is natures way of keeping control of the human race. Sure, nurture could play a part, but on the whole I think it's nature. For the argument about social influences (TV, role models, etc.) I'm sure mice don't pay all that much attention to our social tendencies/whatever, so how do you explain homosexual behaviour in other animals (such as mice)? I'd be interested to hear an argument that supports both homosexual behaviour in humans AND other animals, because we're not alone in it.

And no, I have no sources or evidence, because it's my opinion (apart from the other animals bit, but I'm afraid there are enough sources of information on the internet for you to find one, I'm not doing all the work for you :p: ).

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 16, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.