Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I find it hard to envision many particular situations (other than really extreme situations accounting for a tiny minority) where one would be homosexual because of nurture?

How does one nurture a child to be gay? Do people think homosexual's parents positively encouraged this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    i recall quoting the same data as proof of involvement of nature and nurture processes.

though i would question this. Is the nurture aspect actually nurturing 'gayness' or just nurturing greater openness about said gayness.
    'tis a good question, one that is hard to answer with statistics unless they're very cunning. I'll think about it.

ReputationRep:
    Using a branch as an anal dildo is perfectly natural - no added preservatives there. But using a glass one isn't...

How can anal sex be any less 'natural' than pregnancy. it involves putting natural bits and bobs in natural bits and bobs.
    Seriously, some of the arguments we have on TSR... they're just scary... scarier than Trisha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sleep)
    Yes, I find it hard to envision many particular situations (other than really extreme situations accounting for a tiny minority) where one would be homosexual because of nurture?

How does one nurture a child to be gay? Do people think homosexual's parents positively encouraged this?
    One way is through hormone differences in the womb - there is evidence that boys with many older brothers are more likely to be gay. Suggesting there is something that changes about the wombs response to a male pregnancy, perhaps testosterone specifically, that changes the foetus in some way.
    Other ways might be much more subtle, about relationships with each parent etc.

ReputationRep:
    Using a branch as an anal dildo is perfectly natural - no added preservatives there. But using a glass one isn't...

How can anal sex be any less 'natural' than pregnancy. it involves putting natural bits and bobs in natural bits and bobs.
    *is speechless* nooooooooooooo. there are soooo many things wrong with it. "pain" is one that springs to mind.

i don't care how natural either of them are. i'm not doing them.

heheh, pregnancy's not natural for blokes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden Maverick)
    That's your 4th post on oral sex :p:, a mild obsession?
    Not really. Just get fed up with people persecuting anal sex and labelling it as only a homosexual act. Yet my arch enemy at school was homophobic because of anal sex and tried the same act with his exgirlfriend whom I knew. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    *is speechless* nooooooooooooo. there are soooo many things wrong with it. "pain" is one that springs to mind.
    The use of lube and the spooning position helps for people experimenting for their first time. Shows how people know little about things. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i dont get why men want to have anal sex with girls. does it feel better than normal sex? is it cos it's "naughty"?

ReputationRep:
    i dont get why men want to have anal sex with girls. does it feel better than normal sex? is it cos it's "naughty"?
    It's tighter *ahem*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    Less risk involving pregnancies.

ReputationRep:
    When did this turn into a sex-positions thread ?

ReputationRep:
    eww. i wouldn't want to do it. one-way!!!

the pill also helps involving pregnancies. pelvic floor exercises help with tightness.

ReputationRep:
    The word 'designed' implies intent which implies a god or some other creator and your argument is therefore based in uncertainty rather than fact.
    there is a billion to one chance that life evolved.. and every single step of the process is totally about probability.. yet here we are...

honestly i believe in a creator... although it leads us to question, who made the creator?

Thus the term 'we are designed' is one of the possible facts... And I believe that somehow, homosexuality is a matter of decision... I am gay because i want to be gay. I am lesbo because i want to be lesbo. Thats what most non-straight people say to me.

ReputationRep:
    But still some scientific research points out some differences in bodily functions between straight and homosexuals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasht)
    there is a billion to one chance that life evolved.. and every single step of the process is totally about probability.. yet here we are...

honestly i believe in a creator... although it leads us to question, who made the creator?

Thus the term 'we are designed' is one of the possible facts... And I believe that somehow, homosexuality is a matter of decision... I am gay because i want to be gay. I am lesbo because i want to be lesbo. Thats what most non-straight people say to me.
    Wtf?!

The only decision involved in homosexuality is accepting that you're gay. The initial thoughts and attractions are incontrollable.

It is a sexuality, just like being straight.

ReputationRep:
    Heterosexuality is primarily nature...to say otherwise would be foolish. Otherwise survival on all levels for human life would be utterly pointless. Why have any kind of stress reaction, if you are going to be counterproductive and not maintain the ''survival of the species'? It is then reinforced by nuture.

ReputationRep:
    there have been two mass extinctions on this planet which pretty much wiped out life, yet it has come back. plus intelligence has evolved in different ways (dolphins are nothing like humans but similar intelligence for example). life always wants to exist, hence i don't believe in a creator but evolution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    there have been two mass extinctions on this planet which pretty much wiped out life, yet it has come back. plus intelligence has evolved in different ways (dolphins are nothing like humans but similar intelligence for example). life always wants to exist, hence i don't believe in a creator but evolution.
    Ok, I really didn't get what your saying by any of that...I don't quite see what this has to do with heterosexuality being nature or nuture (or both).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    there have been two mass extinctions on this planet which pretty much wiped out life
    The big lizards (including dinosaurs) and the other is? j/w

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    The big lizards (including dinosaurs) and the other is? j/w
    that was the kt boundary (cretacious-tertiary). there's also the one at the end of the permian. wiped out trilobite and rugose/tabulate corals among others. but apart from the kt there has been five other mass destructions, although not such a bottle neck as that. obviously pre-cambrian (545ma) is a bit of a mystery with regular bombardments.

edit: i'm just blathering on about evolution because 1. someone mentioned it. and 2. i like it.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 16, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.