Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This debate is predicated on the false assumption that 'homosexuality' requires an explanation - that it's aberrant, deviant, unnatural or even just unusual.

Why don't we ask why some men prefer fat birds or big tits, or some women prefer tall men or bald heads? Same thing - either a perfectly natural sexual or romantic preference - or a strange unnatural pathology requiring explanation.

Does anybody thinks I prefer redheads because of the way I was parented or some anomaly of brain structure or a chemical imbalance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    This debate is predicated on the false assumption that 'homosexuality' requires an explanation - that it's aberrant, deviant, unnatural or even just unusual.

Why don't we ask why some men prefer fat birds or big tits, or some women prefer tall men or bald heads? Same thing - either a perfectly natural sexual or romantic preference - or a strange unnatural pathology requiring explanation.

Does anybody thinks I prefer redheads because of the way I was parented or some anomaly of brain structure or a chemical imbalance?
    Well it's very probably due to your upbringing in some way, although not neccesaril due to your parents.

I don't really see your point - homosexuality is different to heterosexuality so unless you are claiming it is completely random, which I would disagree with, then there is space to explain why some people are homosexual. It doesn't have to be different in a negative way to be able to explain it.

ReputationRep:
    heres some thing interesting, theres a huge debate over whether it is the environment or innate response that dictate our outcomes. a study was done on children little boys were dressed up and treated as girls and vice versa. thses was carried on through out there lives. and the results was that at first yes the environment did in a way change them from boys to girls vice versa. but the long term effects were that their innate responses told them it was wrong and all of them turned to the sex given up them at birth. so i think that although the enviroment plays a huge role it isn't the onlt factor involed. also have you heard about the so called discovery of the 'gay' gene. what do you think about that.

ReputationRep:
    So my completely speculative extrapolation of the results suggests a mixture of environmental and genetic, with other taking the majority.
    As I've said this is really just qualitative, but nonetheless interesting.
    But identical twin brothers are more likely to have lived through the same experiences and have the same traits. If you take the NARTH theory that it relates to relationship problems with the father usually (in gay males) then both twins are likely to display the same traits which makes the father-son relationship strained. Both are likely to be treated in a similar way by their fathers. So this study shows no proof at all for a gay gene.

what do you think about that.
    People keep saying this, but I have seen no proof. Where is this gay gene study?

so i think that although the enviroment plays a huge role it isn't the onlt factor involed
    But that only proves that making a child dress up in the clothes of the opposite sex doesn't make him gay. How many people who end up gay actually do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    But identical twin brothers are more likely to have lived through the same experiences and have the same traits. If you take the NARTH theory that it relates to relationship problems with the father usually (in gay males) then both twins are likely to display the same traits which makes the father-son relationship strained. Both are likely to be treated in a similar way by their fathers. So this study shows no proof at all for a gay gene.
    Thats why I compared the twin results to brother and adopted brother results. The non-identical brothers will similarly have the same life experiences, but less genetic similarity, so comparing these and showing that twins have a higher correlation of being gay or not shows there is probably a genetic aspect to it.

That is the kind of experiment that indicates there is a genetic aspect to homosexuality.

ReputationRep:
    Many scientists now believe that homosexuality is caused by both genetic and environment factors. The reason, if genetic, that it has not 'died out', as earlier stated, is because the gene is believe to be passed by the maternal chromosomes.
    This all has something to do with genetics, or so Dawkins and Steve Jones believe (Selfish Genes, The Decent of Man) and may be linked to decreasing sperm count (on average) in men, with each successive generation goes on! (or so I heard)

ReputationRep:
    The non-identical brothers will similarly have the same life experiences, but less genetic similarity, so comparing these and showing that twins have a higher correlation of being gay or not shows there is probably a genetic aspect to it.
    But the fact they have less in common genetically means that they may have totally different traits. One may like reading and painting, the other may like football and rugby.This is where the difference between the two dad-son relationships will come in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    But the fact they have less in common genetically means that they may have totally different traits. One may like reading and painting, the other may like football and rugby.This is where the difference between the two dad-son relationships will come in.
    Different traits as you call them seem to me to be genetic traits in some respects, in which case you are supporting my point.

The ultimate is to compare identical twins that have been separated, although those types of study are pretty difficult as this doesn't happen to many people.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 16, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.