Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well here it is...

Quick history, Im an international student and am gonna start LSE this year.

My suggestion would be to use a different tack and not go with the tradtional "this is me, what i do, why I love this subject" drivel. I was originally going to apply to the USA and was experimenting with informative, interesting, and unique personal statements. After much consideration (and chewing my nails over the risk I was taking) I decided to write a play.

yep, thats right.. a play. Granted it was half a page long with a sentence intro and a sentence conclusion but I framed it in a manner where I was going to a pseudo-court and the admissions officers were interviewing me.

I dont remeber it exactly coz I wrote it a while ago... but heres a something what it was like..

Judge: *sigh, here we go again, another kid who reckons hes good enough to come here* (Smiling wryly) So! you reckon youre good enough are you? Listen son, I've been through a million applications today and *with a sarcastic twinge* I am reallly interested in why you would make a good candidate for our uni.

Sub: *speaking in a strong voice after his years of public speaking exp. and captaining his house* Well sir! I've always had an avid interest in economics, after all it somehow integrates itself into almost every facet of our lives... etc

Judge: *her eyes open in increasing interest* granted, we can see youve done well at school. But were after more! what have you done outside the class is just as important as what youve done inside

Sub: *encouraged* well ive been.... done.... captained.... etc etc etc

You get the idea.... the fact is, mine wasnt very funny (you can make it so if you want) and its really easy to lose too many words on waffle. But doing it carefully you can construct a PS that is impressive and shows your creative flair! Soooo many PS's are dead boring, and though I'm not an admissions officer anything different is sure to stand out!!

It's up to you in the end, this way worked for me and a couple weeks later I got an unconditional offer for economics from LSE and all the others i applied to! Best of luck to you all in your PS statements! -- Sub

ps.. haha get it.. ps and PS *sigh, sry* :p: what do you guys reckon? how many ppl actually take risks with their statements?

ReputationRep:
    Uh.. riiiiiight.......

It might work if your admissions tutor has a sense of humour and its wa you write not the way you write it that counts the most. Maybe I could write my PS in a series of haikus?

ReputationRep:
    You are joking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    You are joking?
    .... nuh... lol, no need to put it down. This is simply what I did, if you dont like it thats fair enough! When I wrote this I didnt know how to do it. I went to school in australia so we didnt have anyone to help us with this stuff (plus I didnt know about this site then). I had some exp with writing PS for american unis so I just assumed that I could transfer that knowledge for UK unis. Look, in the end I took what I believe to be an unorthodox tack, and it seemed to work for me so I though I'd post it My final statement was exteremly formal in its writing, but it still held that format, whether it was decisive in me getting in or not I have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    From what I have seen though, in the US you can get away with more imgainiative essays. With titles as mundane and dull as "describe the most influential moment of your life" if you want to stand out, just doing the unexpected, but doing it well could be a great advantage. I've seen quite a few US admissions essays and people have written essays themed around "if I was a dog" or "my life as a box of chocolates" and have succeded.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough.... but dosent you writing style count for much? it would certainly make sense if it does. Generally most people applying have a whole list of stuff that they've done over the course of their schooling.... but it takes an element of skill to change it form a list into something thats actually interesting to read. Hence my original point about an unorthodox tack. Sure, the americans have really really unorthodox ones (like that dog one) but a little bit of creativity can only help in my mind. The whole idea is to get the PS to stick in the mind of the admissions officer....

ReputationRep:
    If you're actually who you claim you are, your PS has been used as an example by admissions tutors of a particularly successful one (according to my friend who works at an FE college, and has to go to lots of these talks)

ReputationRep:
    firstly, yeah, I am who I claim I am.... odd place to go glory hunting. but really, are you serious? wow. pardon my ignorance, but whats an FE college? and is there anyway I can find out if it is actually mine or just someone elses whose happened to be similar? gotta say, thats quite wicked! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sub)
    firstly, yeah, I am who I claim I am.... odd place to go glory hunting. but really, are you serious? wow. pardon my ignorance, but whats an FE college? and is there anyway I can find out if it is actually mine or just someone elses whose happened to be similar? gotta say, thats quite wicked! Thanks!
    FE stand for further education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sub)
    It might well be someone else - I just made the association because of the template you used, plus your location.

ReputationRep:
    dunno, you may be right... i know hardly any people applying to the UK from western australia at least. dosent matter anyways, it served its purpose in getting me in

ReputationRep:
    Sound quite good but I wouldn't risk it in case you had an old school admissions tutor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz_lauren)
    Sound quite good but I wouldn't risk it in case you had an old school admissions tutor
    Is that a general feeling among applicants? do people generally NOT take risks with their PS?

ReputationRep:
    oooo creative ....they would've liked that here in the US...i think. all admissions officers are insane, so you never know :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Nice PS syou got there. :p: Congrats on the offer. I don't think that would happen to me though, as my grades are not good.

ReputationRep:
    I certainly think there is something to be said for taking a risk here and there. I think perhaps I would have been a little more subtle about it. You can be imaginative and original without going to such extreme lenghts, but that's my take.
    I think what is really imporatant is not taking a risk, but good writing. That means not just: "My friends would describe me as a bubbly personality". But I think you can get your point across in a slightly more professional way than you did by just writing a good introduction. Originality does not have to be flagrant. It strikes me as a little clumsy. But hey, it worked for you.

ReputationRep:
    Any chance of reading this statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Any chance of reading this statement?
    ahahahaha, dont get your hopes up... mabey later... :p:

ReputationRep:
    Awwww Pleeeease let me read it PM me it if you don't want to put it up. I'm just interested in reading something that different! I'd love to have the guts, never mind the creativity to do something like that
    (Incidentally, my application was sent last October so you don't need to worry about plagiarism )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sub)
    ahahahaha, dont get your hopes up... mabey later... :p:
    Me too I want to see it!

Seriously, I applaud your courage, I doubt I'd ever feel creative enough to do something like that on something so important! Especially considering I could present myself much better in the normal way. It IS a big risk, and in your case it paid off. If I was an admissions tutor, I don't know what I'd infer about your academic record but it would certainly bring a smile to my face after a long busy day of reading through so many generic statements. Having said that, you CAN make a personal statement good without doing something so festive with it. But congrats anyway!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.