The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
IZZY!
i go state comprehensive with only 33% of ppl getting 5 A*-Cs. Pretty ****, I agree.lol. But still I am convinced that grades and performance depend on person's ability and his hard work.

Exactly, its just coincidence that not very smart people all go to the same school.
Markus505
My friends from an all girls school in reading have an A*-C grades pass of 100% :eek:
Is that Kendrick?
Hach
I was just wondering does everyone on this web go to private/grammar schools, because i've been surprised by the amount of people who are predicted to get A's and A* !
I think from an old poll about 60-70% + people are from state schools. A private school does not necessarily mean high academic standards. They vary. I would guess that (some) people who come here are concerned about their work/studying so they'd be more likely to get good grades.
Reply 23
I go2 a public school ... where "chavs" are rofl :P
Love it there, even tho its a **** hole and most of the teachers suck, and ones that are good constantly moan and leave lol

The school is also one of the poorest in the county :P
However, we have an excellent english department, one of the best in the counties. (well one good teacher rest suck) and also an excellent biology teacher who joined us in September; shame she didn't teach us for the full two years, she had to pick up the mess from the old teacher :P
Reply 24
No Future
Is that Kendrick?

lol yes, and the abbey is similar. who do you know from kenderick?
I go to Kendrick!
Reply 26
I was at a private school, until my dad ran off with his secretary and i had to go to a state school. But i do like my school at the moment, especially now all the chavs have left . I dont consider myself really clever, pretty average to be honest. Not as smart as Zhivago anyway

:p: I doubt that very much! Did your Dad really run off with the secretary? And yeah, I'm sure sixth form at my school will be better too because of a distinct decline in chav population, or, "scallies" as we call them here.
Reply 27
zhivago
:p: I doubt that very much! Did your Dad really run off with the secretary? And yeah, I'm sure sixth form at my school will be better too because of a distinct decline in chav population, or, "scallies" as we call them here.

lol seriously, he did, my mum even hired a private detective and they caught them in bed together :biggrin:..ahhh god knows my im tellnig my families shenanigans but its comedy now.
lol
nice story
markus ur amount of posts a day is ace
Reply 29
InTeRRoGaToR
lol
nice story
markus ur amount of posts a day is ace

I know i know, its really something huh, what is it ummm 30 a day?
Reply 30
lol seriously, he did, my mum even hired a private detective and they caught them in bed together ..ahhh god knows my im tellnig my families shenanigans but its comedy now.

You make me laugh. :p: I mean, the situation I'm sure wasn't funny at the time, although I'm sure you could make a decent episode of Corrie out of something like that, but the way you phrase things! You're a witty guy. :wink: Anyway, I hope you weren't too distraught, hey, at least you'll always have a nice conversation starter, or killer, depending on how you look at it. Anyway, I assume you still see both of 'em, so tis ok right? How much are private detectives anyway? Aren't they hundreds of pounds or summit? My family seems boring now. :frown:
Reply 31
zhivago
You make me laugh. :p: I mean, the situation I'm sure wasn't funny at the time, although I'm sure you could make a decent episode of Corrie out of something like that, but the way you phrase things! You're a witty guy. :wink: Anyway, I hope you weren't too distraught, hey, at least you'll always have a nice conversation starter, or killer, depending on how you look at it. Anyway, I assume you still see both of 'em, so tis ok right? How much are private detectives anyway? Aren't they hundreds of pounds or summit? My family seems boring now. :frown:

:smile:hundreds? no, thousands yes! We paid a guy £5000 to sit in a car, eating donuts and probably doing other stuff to relieve his boredom for 4 days so thankfully my dad didnt make it too hard for them to catch him out. And yeah i still see my dad, i send him on a guilt trip when i see him so he buys me stuff etc. I'd rather have a boring family to be honest, i mean my mums a teachers at my school :mad: which is not good. Cant wait until i move out
Joe_4001
im predicted A*'s and A's and i go to normal state schools. I am STRONGLY against private school and the whole privatisation system.

I agree! How is it fair to give students an advantage based on parental income? Admittedly, a large proportion of people do get into private schools thru their own intellectual ability, but even so it seems unfair that anyone should be given an advantage.....personally i think that respect should go out to those who achieve well in state schools, without the natural privileges arising from private education. Also, i fail to see what, apart from the educational advantage, would compell parents to send their kid to a private school anyway......
Reply 33
But it is the educational advantage, that's the point. I'm from a state school, but I don't spend sleepless nights thinking about private school kids, and the fact that they get taught by better teachers! I'll send my children to a private school, if I can afford it, because I want them to get a better education and do the best in life, not because I'm snobby, and feel I'm superior. Granted a few privately educated (or publicly depending on how you look at it) kids are snobbish, but a majority aren't. It's not that they're actually snobby at all, it's more the fact that state school kids stereotype them as snobby. I think people should just chill out a bit over the whole state/private divide. And anyway, there are a lot of good state schools competing at the same levels as private, just not a majority.

Latest