Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi pls cud someone tell me how to explain both of these types of waves. A definition of standing waves wud be nice too as i dnt really kno how to define it.

ReputationRep:
    standing wave is a wave with no net transfer of energy in the direction of the wave, and a travelling, or progressive wave, is one with a net transfer of energy in the direction of the wave, I think.

ReputationRep:
    progressive waves transfer energy from one place to another, e.g light/sound waves.
    Stationary waves do not transfer energy, they store energy.

standing waves can be produced by the itnerference of 2 progressive waves which are moving in opposite directions. they can also be formed by reflectinga progressive wave and allowing the reflected wave to interfer with the oncoming wave.

You need to know the standing wave patterns [nodes and anti nodes]. This may turn up in phy6 in great detail or phy4.

I.E
    distance between 2 adjacent nodes = lambda/2

You need to also know about phase relationship,

i.e all points in a given half wavelength are in phase with each-other. however, all points in a given wavelength are completly out of phase with all the points in the next half wavelength. - standing waves/stationary waves

copy n paste that mate, i'm sure it is 100% correct and you will 70% need it for phy4/phy6.

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys :tsr: . ive also found a thread in here that explains it too. i was paniking cos i thought the thread just vanished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyj72)
    thanks guys :tsr: . ive also found a thread in here that explains it too. i was paniking cos i thought the thread just vanished.
    And if you need anymore-check out 'A physics assignemtment-waves' posted 2 wks ago in the physics section of the forum if you havent already seen it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sazzarooo)
    And if you need anymore-check out 'A physics assignemtment-waves' posted 2 wks ago in the physics section of the forum if you havent already seen it.
    no, i havent seen it. ill check it out. thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyj72)
    no, i havent seen it. ill check it out. thanx

No problemo. Good luck!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.