Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just been revising phy5 and realised i have no definition of it.

I know that equipotentials are 90 degrees to field lines and get further away [i think by an inverse square law].

Im guessing that equi= equivalent/equal , potential = potential difference

so an equipotential is areas of the field lines where the potential difference is the same. Is this true?

ReputationRep:
    An equipotential line is drawn from points which all have the same potential, eg. with gravitational fields, the points which all have the same gravitational potential form the equipotential line

ReputationRep:
    do equipotentials exist on electric fields? I thought equipotentials existed on all 3 types of fields:

gravitation
    electric
    magnetic

ReputationRep:
    yeah you can, and Ive just realised the defnition should be "line drawn from points with equal gravitational field strength" IU think, so for an electric field it will be points with the same values of electric firld strength, and with magnetic, same with magnetic field strength.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    do equipotentials exist on electric fields? I thought equipotentials existed on all 3 types of fields:

gravitation
    electric
    magnetic
    yep they do.

An equipotential line is a line of equal enery per unit charge ofr an electric field and and equal enery per unit mass for a gravitational field.

it is perpendicular to the field lines in a uniform electric field eg between two parallel plate or a capacitor. you can use all the formulae for electical field strength with capacitors because they are analogous(similar).

hope it helps.

You can ask me any question on phy5, im quite good at that even tho i still need to do some rev, lol

ReputationRep:
    'I know that equipotentials are 90 degrees to field lines and get further away [i think by an inverse square law.'

Could you explain what that means...

Because i thought a uniform electric field had eqipotentials at equal intervals

ReputationRep:
    I think he is talking about a radial field

ReputationRep:
    I haven't really started fully on that (Physics 5), are u guys all taking Physics 4 too? will appreciate it if any one could graph a good way to revise for that, physics 4.

(Original post by Revenged)
    'I know that equipotentials are 90 degrees to field lines and get further away [i think by an inverse square law.'

yeah, a uniform electric field has equipotentials at equal intervals (E = -dV/dx) (for two parallel plates for example), but (like for a sphere), it is not uniform and varies by an inverse square law (E proportional to 1/r²)

ReputationRep:
    E = kQ/r^2 (k is a constant)

So when distance from the conducting sphere doubles the electric potential falls by a factor of 4?

So if you where drawing equipotential lines would the distance between the lines double each time you where going away from the sphere...

So when distance from the conducting sphere doubles the electric potential falls by a factor of 4?

So if you where drawing equipotential lines would the distance between the lines double each time you where going away from the sphere...
    yes, but it is unlikely they would ask us to draw it for a sphere.

ReputationRep:
    if it's a radial feild, the inverse square law is applicable(farther the weaker), but does this apply to those in a parrellel plate?

(Original post by mikeA1)
    if it's a radial feild, the inverse square law is applicable(farther the weaker), but does this apply to those in a parrellel plate?
    for parallel plates, it does not apply (unless if there was a 'kink' in one of the plates, in which case the equipotentials would be closer at the point). But for parallel plates, it follows: E = -dV/dx.

ReputationRep:

yep, for a radial field => like a point charge or mass they graviationl field follows an inverse square law. this means that the equipotential lines will spread out with increasing distance from the point mass or charge.

for a unifor electriv field the equipotential lines have equal intervals because the field is constant within that region.

ReputationRep:

formula wrong..

its EP = kQ/r

ReputationRep:
    it's not applicable for a uniform field, it's just at 90 degrees. Above i was talking about a radial field.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ARCHK0VEN)
    formula wrong..

its EP = kQ/r
    Nope it's an inverse square law

V = kQ/r

(Original post by ARCHK0VEN)
    formula wrong..

its EP = kQ/r
    no, he is talking about electric field strength and not electric potential :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    it's not applicable for a uniform field, it's just at 90 degrees. Above i was talking about a radial field.
    yep, for a radial field => like a point charge or mass they graviationl field follows an inverse square law. this means that the equipotential lines will spread out with increasing distance from the point mass or charge.

ReputationRep:
    isit clear now?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.