Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to go to university what are you other choices?

ReputationRep:
    Loads of things! You can get a job, an internship, training, etc what are you interested in? There are other qualifications you could take as well, but if further education isn't right for you then you don't have to go. I have a friend who is getting trained in a marketing company on an excellent starting salary and a weekend in Portugal every month. I'm so jealous of her, she's really given her career a kickstart. It's the marketing company that look after topshop. xx

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in retail. Is it possible to start a job in this sector without a degree? But also with promotion aspects?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    unless you want to be self-employed, not having a degree may hamper your chances of promotion. Degrees are becoming commonplace now, so if you havent got one, you'll be behind the rest of the applicants when it comes to getting an interview. The interview is what will get you that job and not necessarily qualifications......... but to get into the interview room... you'll need to look good on paper. Therefore a degree will be better for job prospects, even if the job you want has nothing to do with the degree you've got.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think that's true at all. But i don't know much about retail. xx

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm
    Well I thought that there were some schemes, like internships etc that only required a-levels?
    I could be wrong lol
    It's just I have seen from first hand that univeristy is not always the best option for people and I feel it isn't for me.

ReputationRep:
    If university isn't right for you i don't think you should go. I think what you need to do is research what's out there for you. xx

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks, lol I really don't have a clue where to start though! All a bit confusing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie400)
    ok thanks, lol I really don't have a clue where to start though! All a bit confusing!
    well, its confusing as you have gained your a-levels (most people i know that dont want to go uni have done a modern appenticeship scheme)

I know some companies would accept you to join them and train to progress internally, and some companies would accept you for many positions such as lab- assistant if you have a-levels within the sciences, or human resources if you have a-levels in business, etc.

I suppose you could do a modern apprenticeship if you would like to be something like a nursery nurse, carpenter, etc. I know that those qualifications are work-based, and u'll earn whilst learning.

Or you could be one of the lucky ones and do a NVQ intermediate in travel and tourism, and gain a job as a manager at sainsbury's main branch in holborn like my cousin :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    lol well I was hoping to train in either retail or human resources. I have pretty good a-levels but I am compleatly confused about where to access information to these schemes and my careers advisor is a joke!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie400)
    lol well I was hoping to train in either retail or human resources. I have pretty good a-levels but I am compleatly confused about where to access information to these schemes and my careers advisor is a joke!!
    the prospects/connections web-site maybe helpful
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You might like to look at some of the big high street stores. I don't know if they accept people with just A-levels but I know that they do run trainee manager schemes and stuff like that if that's the kind of thing that you fancy. Might be worth a look.
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainjan_4now)
    the prospects/connections web-site maybe helpful
    Just to say.....its connexions with an 'x'. God knows why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by these_apples)
    Just to say.....its connexions with an 'x'. God knows why.
    it's because the goverment believes that it can reach out to the younger generation through colloquial langauge. They wanna be "hip". Gosh :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainjan_4now)
    it's because the goverment believes that it can reach out to the younger generation through colloquial langauge. They wanna be "hip". Gosh :rolleyes:
    Colloquial eh? Seems to just be bad spelling to me. Or even worse text speak :eek: .

ReputationRep:
    Some people! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I will have a look at those websites

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.