Turn on thread page Beta

Contraception Question watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Pedantic)
    i though condoms were 99.7% effective(3:1000 chance of pregnancy) and the pill was 99% efferctive (1:100 chance of pregnancy)

I've only had sex a few times(all with the same person) she's on the pill and we tried to use a condom once, but didn't like how it felt. we both found it de-sensitizing. as for mess, neither of us have qualms about cleaning each other up :p:
    Not quite. This is my favourite personal bugbear, but I'm not going to start writing in big red letters yet.

The official stats for condoms are around 97-98% with perfect use, whereas for the Pill it's around 99.5% with some brands, slightly less for the POP.

HOWEVER, this percentage is not a probability of YOU getting pregnant. It means that for 100 women using condoms as their sole method of contraception, and using them properly (i.e. putting them on at the right time, using them every single time), for a whole year, 2 or 3 will get pregnant. For every 100 women using the Pill properly for a year (taking it every day when they're meant to) 0.5 will get pregnant (or 1 in 200 if you want to use whole numbers )

Basically, no method is perfect; most hormonal methods are more effective than condoms when used properly but none protect against STIs.

ReputationRep:
    The statistics are strange. They don't seem to take into account how often people will be having sex and how this might affect reliability rates.

ReputationRep:
    I just use the pill. I hadn't had sex with anyone before my boyfriend and he got checked at the STD clinic before we had sex. We tried to use condoms a few times but it just ruined the mood. Although i would definitley have insisted on using them if he hadn't got himself tested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    The statistics are strange. They don't seem to take into account how often people will be having sex and how this might affect reliability rates.
    This is true. But it's the best way to collect data on this sort of thing, as far as I can see. It's not really possible to have a probability of "likelihood you will get pregnant EACH time you have sex using this method"

ReputationRep:
    Just the pill.. not a fan of condoms! [although yes, I'd use them if I wasn't in a long-term exclusive relationship, blah blah]

(Original post by Helenia)
    Not quite. This is my favourite personal bugbear, but I'm not going to start writing in big red letters yet.

The official stats for condoms are around 97-98% with perfect use, whereas for the Pill it's around 99.5% with some brands, slightly less for the POP.

HOWEVER, this percentage is not a probability of YOU getting pregnant. It means that for 100 women using condoms as their sole method of contraception, and using them properly (i.e. putting them on at the right time, using them every single time), for a whole year, 2 or 3 will get pregnant. For every 100 women using the Pill properly for a year (taking it every day when they're meant to) 0.5 will get pregnant (or 1 in 200 if you want to use whole numbers )

Basically, no method is perfect; most hormonal methods are more effective than condoms when used properly but none protect against STIs.
    condoms are about 93-95% effective when you factor in naughty habits, like rocking a bit before you roll...
    'wetting the wittle' as we call it back home...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    Just the Pill. I know it's recommended to use condoms as well but we find them kinda impractical.
    it's only recommended to use condoms as well if you need to protect against STIs. otherwise the pill is designed to be used as the sole method of contraception.

ReputationRep:
    been on the pill for ages, so only the pill.

to me theres no point on being on the pill if using condoms too and their so expensive! < im completly skint!
    if they were free id use them too. (and me and my boyfriend have been to the family planning clinic a couple of times at the start of the relationship FOR CONDOMS and at only 12 of them allowed a month, only lasts a short time!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    condoms are about 93-95% effective when you factor in naughty habits, like rocking a bit before you roll...
    'wetting the wittle' as we call it back home...
    Yeah, it's very hard to get "perfect use" statistics for these things, as people are inherently a bit lazy/forgetful/carried away on occasion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    it's only recommended to use condoms as well if you need to protect against STIs. otherwise the pill is designed to be used as the sole method of contraception.
    Ooh right. My nurse clearly got the wrong idea about my sexual activities then :p:

ReputationRep:
    Just condoms. The pill made me suicidal so I'm not going back on it until I'm definitely sure that I'm definitely sleeping with my boyfriend and it's definitely a long term thing

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify I wouldn't sleep with someone if it WASN'T a long term thing...
    I just mean.. I'm going to uni... he's going to Thailand... things could happen this summer. But let's wait til I'm at uni and see how things work before i **** with my hormones again!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 13, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.