Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    please please can anyone help me out

The question "impact of TNC operations on a national scale".....Ive just tried doing it and I cant! I have TNC case studies, but not for one do i really have about their IMPACT except that obviously they lead to jobs in the area.
    Do you think i should make it up that when for example Ford went to Malaysia it led to negative consequences such as pollution, problems with local companies attracting workers etc...

its just i know all about negative and positive impacts for TNCs in general, but not ones arising from specific examples of TNCs.

BASICALLY, shall I just guess what kind of impacts the distribution of TNCs have had, cos my case studies dont really comment on their impact as such?!

ReputationRep:
    Impacts can be from footloose TNCs which can pull out of countries very quickly. If a country has become dependant on this company for employment, it can have dire consequences for the local economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittball)
    Impacts can be from footloose TNCs which can pull out of countries very quickly. If a country has become dependant on this company for employment, it can have dire consequences for the local economy.
    and an example for that could be Nike maybe cos it subcontracts its production? I remember hearing that Nike have moved a lot of production to Vietnam from NICs... so i could then say like you said, that it leads to mass unemployment?

ReputationRep:
    Thats exactly right

Another point: Nike have outsourced (good word ) their production to LEDCs using cheap labour there, which causes moral implications as well.

ReputationRep:
    It's not all sweatshops and doom and gloom. I read an article stating Nike take people from companies in Vietnam for example and teach them how to make their products more appealing.
    Anyway back to that question. It does state impacts on a national scale and the thing that comes to mind for me is that many TNCs have more wealth and therefore power than entire countries (controversal i know ) But this means they have huge political influence on entire countries and therefore can get what they want. Theres a bit of information for u to look in2 sorry i can't b more specific, in all honesty i cant remember much more /runs to textbook :/

ReputationRep:
    so basically its OK to write about impacts of TNCs such as unemployment etc, even if im not really sure it happened? its just the question asks for named TNCs, so i dont think i can just talk about potential good and bad points.
    i reckon im not gonna do an economy question anyway give me population/migration any day lol

ReputationRep:
    My TNC notes are something like this:

Vietnam (Nike)
    Nike is an International subcontractor, which means that they contracto to places like s.Korea and Taiwan, who then contract to Philippines and Vietnam (due to cheaper labour, costs etc.)
    Despite having the 'sweatshop' tag on it.. Nike has helped people in places like Vietnam. We watched a video showing some of the worker's views and they said they were better off thanks to Nike.
    Nike don't emply anyone under 18 in vietnam (not sure about other countries) due to the 1988 child labour act. So therefore kids ar more likely to go into edcuation.
    The average wage is $54 a month, which is more than double the local minimum wage. There are opportunities for people to move up into management jobs etc and there is a multiplier effect in the area.

Talking more generally:
    Advantages to country with TNC
    Employment with a guarenteed wage
    Multiplier effect
    Boosts economy
    Health and safety standards improve
    GNP increase
    Taxes rise, therefore more into services etc.
    Investment spent on infrastructure
    Development of resources
    Prestige for the country, may develop into and NIC rather than and LEDC.
    Skills gained for workers.

However, there are a lot of negative factors:
    Disadvantages to country.
    Exploitation of workers and resources
    Negative multiplier effect if the company withdraws
    Local companies are pushed out
    Leakage - profits go overseas
    Insufficient health and safety
    reliance on TNC (often more powerful than the government)
    development gap widens as profits in west grow at faster rate than gnp increase
    environmental damage
    rural depopulation
    relatively few people employed (dependant on compay etc)

ReputationRep:
    to summarise all that - its all about this idea of dependence of the local population on TNC's when they move in:

a very gd case study i did in school is the rust belt in USA (General motors): also, another good one could be telecom, and their relocation form the UK to the far east, and in particular india - both having impacts in places where they are moving from (negative usually), and positive usually in areas wehre they are going to

but, must be stressed that the taking advantage of the poor and needy by expoloiting cheap labour is perceived by many to be a bad thing!

Pk

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.