Turn on thread page Beta

A level subjects: History or Psychology? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I'm applying to various sixth forms this weekend but I'm not entirely certain as to which subjects I'd like to take. I'm set on taking French and English Literature, but I'm torn between biology, psychology and history (I need to choose two of the three). I'm pretty sure I'd like to do biology, so i'm really just trying to decide between psychology and history.

I'm thinking about possibly studying law at university. Failing that, I was previously considering psychology, but now I'm uncertain. I figure that if I did decide to do psychology then the biology would be sufficient to get me into some universities- even though it may not be the best ones. I'm more likely to study some form of english-y type subject at university (be it law, english literature, history...whatever) than I am a science-y one (i.e.- psychology is the only science I would consider) and therefore I feel that I'd maybe be better off concentrating on english-y type A levels (i.e.- the history instead of psychology). I figure that if I did change my mind and want to do psychology then my options are still open.

What d'ya all think? Any advice please? Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    personally id choose history, but it depends on how much u love the subjects. Do you like studying social context or do you like studying individuals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    personally id choose history, but it depends on how much u love the subjects. Do you like studying social context or do you like studying individuals?
    That's my problem. I think I'd enjoy them both- they both really interest me. As do English literature, french and biology. In fact, I had a hard time narrowing subjects down from 7 to just 5. I wish I had 4 definite favourites, or that I was really awful in one or two. It would make my decision a lot easier!!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Howdy

Well, I studied History at A-level and am now doing it a university. It depends on what you prefer, and what you would be happier doing. If you are applying to a more 'academic' university, go for History as it apparently carries more weight. I know a few people who study Law, and they are finding that History at A-level was a good choice to make, as Law requires analytic reading and writing etc etc

Jams

ReputationRep:
    For what it is worth, history sounds more impressive than psychology. Psychology has got a reputation for being 'micky mouse.'

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, yes- history does sound more academic, actually. I didn't consider that. Also, I know I like, and am competent in history, seeing as I've studied it before. It's probably safer than taking a chance on a new subject.

ReputationRep:
    Good choice. History it is then

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the promptness and advice everyone! I really appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    Btw, if you did change your mind and choose to do psychology, most unis would prefer you studied biology than psychology at A-Level anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acid_Rain)
    Btw, if you did change your mind and choose to do psychology, most unis would prefer you studied biology than psychology at A-Level anyway.
    Oh, really? Cool. Thanks for that!

ReputationRep:
    Actually, my recommendation would be to stick to arts and social sciences - much better

ReputationRep:
    I did History A-level and Psychology AS. Forget about Psychology. Do history!!!

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you start with 5 then drop the one that you like least after a few weeks?? My mate did that.

ReputationRep:
    do history its far more intresting and is so much more revelant to everyday life. also it is a broader choice and will allow u more choice of courses at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    Why don't you start with 5 then drop the one that you like least after a few weeks?? My mate did that.
    Good idea. I'll apply to do the history though, and then at the interview I'll discuss the possibility of perhaps doing psychology too and dropping one of them after a short time.

ReputationRep:
    Will you have 'taster' days in which you get to do some lessons which you are interested in? If you do then I'm guessing that you will then probably find which subject is more appealing to you. I'm not quite sure if you can choose 5 subjects as some colleges can't make the timetables work but you can try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Will you have 'taster' days in which you get to do some lessons which you are interested in? If you do then I'm guessing that you will then probably find which subject is more appealing to you. I'm not quite sure if you can choose 5 subjects as some colleges can't make the timetables work but you can try.

Yes, I've put my name down for a taster day- but it's in February and the applications have to be in by the end of December. I dunno who figured that one out...!

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you find out what the syllabus for history will cover before making your choice. For GCSE we did international relations, WW2, Hitler, etc and i loved history so i chose it for AS level. Now we're doing tudor government and finance and french history and i hate it so much and i can't wait to drop it. Psychology on the other hand i am finding really interesting. What i'm basically saying is just because you like history now you might not like it next year. Just a thought.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.