Turn on thread page Beta

How far would YOU go?? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    i couldn't care less.

that way we could do what we wanted when we wanted, and spend our money on ourselves and not children.
    I agree wiv u! Kids r more of a pain than not! From the tym they're born until 4eva u hav a life/lives to b resonsible 4! Plus i suppose kids can do without they're parents - esp. if your relationship don't work out - it puts the child under stress for no reason of theirs. If the pros n cons are weighed out properly, it would be easier to share a life with ur partner and not with kids around!

ReputationRep:
    This does assume that everybody wants to have kids in the first place.
    Personally I wouldn't care. Kids have never been a priority for me. And I have always wanted to adopt if I was to have kids anyway.

And even if it was a case of someone wanting to carry on their gene line then why not use a sperm doner/surrogate mother.
    Just because someone is infertile their possible life as a parent is not over. There are many possibilities.

ReputationRep:
    It would not bother me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feefifofum)
    I'd have to know why they didn't want kids. This might actualy put me off thinking about it, I'm quirte a motherly kind of person, I can't understand why someone would choose to never have children.
    Well, I know that there are people who don't want children. I'm not one of them, but there quite a few I think.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't we all a bit young to even be able to consider this? Or is it me..

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't change anything in the slightest. It wouldn't stop us bringing up children, we'd just have to go through the process of adoption rather than pregnancy. Infertility won't prevent you and your partner having a family unless you make it so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eurasianfeline)
    still no difference for me.
    I don't think it would make a difference for me either, but I'm not too sure. I'm not in that position luckily. I do think that I want children and if my partner did not want any, I can see how that might at some point cause a bit of trouble, know what I mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonnyB)
    Aren't we all a bit young to even be able to consider this? Or is it me..
    Well, if I start thinking about kids when I'm like 30 or something, that is a bit late really, it's more healthy to have them earlier, less risks and all. For men it's not so bad, you can have them later, but I don't wanna be a preganant 40 year old really. The sooner I can have them the better (that means some time after uni of course :p: ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eurasianfeline)
    ever thought about adoption? :rolleyes:
    Not enough people are adopting in the UK as it is. It's always nice to have your own children though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    I'm just not maternal. I would prefer not to have kids if I could help it.
    Don't then hunny - some of my mums friends have had children and they're totally not maternal whatsoever and ultimately you only end up being depressed as hell. One of my mums friends desperately didn't want a baby, but she found out she was pregnant and came round to the idea...gets pregnant again the year after but had bloody triplets. Now shes stuck with 4 kids and is a walking zombie with pleasure in her life whatsoever. You should never have children just because your partner wants them. But, you're still young so you may well develop maternal instincts in time.

In response to the original question - I can't believe that some people have selected the "drop them! i must have kids!" option. If you loved someone you wouldn't feel that way. If you loved someone you couldn't bear to break their heart by ruthlessly dumping them. Theres always adoption.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is I do one day want kids of my own, so having an infertile partner would obviously mean I couldn't have kids with them, so yeh it would make a big difference to me.

ReputationRep:
    ...There are always other options, adoption, surrogacy...If you really loved your partner it would not matter in the slightest...Love is for life not just for Christmas....Good times and bad =0)

Personally it would be great to have your own child but if that is not possible in term so f adoption and so on, think of how happy you would make that child giving them a home and a loving family...it would be beneficial for both parties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodhisattva)
    Well how shallow is that? What happened to old-fashioned love and commitment?
    What happened to good old fashioned natural selection? I wouldn't end the relationship, though it'd be tough knowing your line is going to be terminated too.

ReputationRep:
    I would have to think about it. I'm not saying I'd drop them, as it is not as simple as that...but I'd have to have a serious think about what is important to me and where I want my life to go. Yes, I would love my partner, but if I decided I desperately wanted to have children of my own (want to adopt aswell, later on) then I would have to consider whether I would be able to continue a relationship with someone who couldn't give me that. Although I would probably be of the initial opinion that it wouldn't matter, as I'd love my partner no matter what, I would probably come to the conclusion that if I were to stay with him, then I would end up resenting him at some point down the line.

It's a tough one...something I don't think you can really be 100% sure of unless you are unlucky enough to actually faced with the situation.

ReputationRep:
    it wouldn't bother me. for a start I'm not even sure I want kids but even if I decided I would like them it wouldn't make a difference. there are always other options if you both decide you really can't live with out have children.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really maternal but not especially bothered about passing on my genes/ keeping myself alive in future generations. I'd change my career path and work with kids instead.
    There have been times i've thought i wouldn't want to inflict life on anyone, and as <3 said- no need for contraception :rolleyes:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 12, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.