Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I went to a private school, then decided to go to a state secondary school as i actually preferred it, but i think it depends on how you want to learn. I found you had to be more independant at state school, but i liked it as you weren't 'spoon fed'. Also, going to a mixed school is good, and i definately would choose it again as i've got good friends who are both boys and girls. Don't worry about making friends as i'm sure lots of people will be in your position and won't know many people, but you already said you know a few people. Hope this helps,
    Katie

ReputationRep:
    We do have a separate 6th form block, well I might as well tell you the name of the school lol, it's Hinchingbrooke School. The 6th form is in Hinchingbrooke House so apart from departments and lessons, everything else for the 6th form is in the House. The sandwich was invented there ^_^
    Yeah, I'm getting really annoyed at being "spoon fed" by all the teachers, and we're given no independence. Each 6th form pupil gets to go out at one lunchtime a week, and this is a "major priviledge" despite the fact that a nearby state school lets you out every lunchtime from yr10 upwards. I am really pleased now that I've got all your pov's, because it's given me more confidence about going. All you guys seem really nice people too, and you *gasp* go to state schools
    Heehee well thanks very much for your help and reassurance
    I'm quite new to TSR but I think I'm going to be on here 'till I go to uni!

ReputationRep:
    Well I went to a religious school for 11-18yr olds but left when I was 16 as I didn't like my school and felt the way they operated was too strict and that I would much prefer a sixth form college.
    Some of the disadvantages at sixth form are that they predict you medium grades e.g. ccc(c) however that can be good as it's less pressure.
    Most of the people are alright at my sixth form, yeh you'll get some people who are a bit rough (to put it nicely) but compared to the non-sixth form college most of the people are fine (not saying those at non-sixth form colleges are scallies etc).

Another thing you're likely to find is that the sixth form college will have a much higher drop-out rate, I think about 1/2 of my friends from school and friends I made dropped out but I think that's more of a reflection of the type of person I am and the people I get on well with. Compared to at school where I only heard of one person dropping out.

But I'd say advantages way outweigh those disadvantages, my personal subject tutors (which we call on first name basis ) tell me what I'm really capable of and are much better/ encouraging than my personal tutor (I think I just have a s**t personal tutor). You're not in for much time either.

If you're worried about class sizes in my first year I had about 25 in i.t., 20 in geography and 25 in sociology, this year I have 8 in i.t., 14 in geography and 14 in sociology so class sizes in no problem in the a2 and the initial as class sizes probably dropped by around 2 people during the first year.

Hope that was helpful, hope didn't ramble on too much lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well i went to a private primary school but then because the principal wanted to retire she sold the school and i went to a state school for yr6, i then went to a grammar school for secondary, so i've kinda experienced all of them really, the move from private to grammar will shock you most especially probably the size of the place to begin with. teachers undoubtebly will probably be more stressed and less willing to have time to sit and chat with you and so on but as long as you get on well with them you should be fine. and like everyone else says if you can stay motivated throughout you'll be fine. i sure the schools great as you said it was. And maybe if you try and catch up with some of your old mates during the summer, the move will be a whole lot easier too.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    well i went to a state primary and then went onto an all girls private bording school, once i finished my GCSE's i decided to go onto college-bad mistake, only lasted 2 days so i went back to my private school where i completed my A-levels and i must say i have had the best times of my life and i do not regret going to a private school.

Good luck
    Kerry
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Much the same story as Kerry, up above, except probably more relevent to teaching standards/styles.

I've been to a good grammar since I was 11, and after my GCSE's, decided to go to what is considered to be a good 6th form college. Other people from my town and school went, so I thought it would be fine. I lasted 2 days. It was very big and noisy and moved very fast, and to be honest, the teachers weren't very inspiring and a lot of the students weren't of the standard I was used to at my grammar. The number of students in each class seemed huge, and less disciplined.

BUT... some people from my school adored it and still go there now. I, however, think that I've benefited from being back in the environment that I know, and teachers who I have a lot of faith in. Downside is that its not actually very exciting.

A grammar is of course different to a Private, but the same principle is there... risk giving up a very good education for something new, or not? If I were you, I'd go for it (my experience was good for me, as I now appreciate my grammar school a lot more, and don't resent having to stay here) if only to realise that its not for you, and make sure that there's a chance of going back to your old school if things don't work out.

ReputationRep:
    I go to a private school, but my brother and sister both go to a state school. I don't live with them anymore but I think that they, in general, are not expected to achieve as highly, even though they could if they were pushed a bit harder. My school is quite relaxed, and because I'm a monitor I can go into town anytime when I don't have lessons, and I almost enjoy wearing smarter clothes as it's good preparation for being in a work environment. I think what grades you get depends on you. If you feel that you will push and challenge yourself at a sixth form, then you might do equally as well, but if you enjoy having a stronger routine then staying at your present school might be a better idea. I thought about leaving for sixth form, but in reality it never would have happened for unrelated reasons. Sixth forms do offer more subjects, whereas private schools only offer subjects that are essential for certain university courses, e.g. they don't offer psychology as it's not essential for a psychology course & so on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leannemann)
    Sixth forms do offer more subjects, whereas private schools only offer subjects that are essential for certain university courses, e.g. they don't offer psychology as it's not essential for a psychology course & so on...
    Yes, like my school doesn't offer law, politics etc, though it does offer psychology and sociology. A college is bound to have more choice, whilst a grammar or private will often be more traditional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Yes, like my school doesn't offer law, politics etc, though it does offer psychology and sociology. A college is bound to have more choice, whilst a grammar or private will often be more traditional.
    my school is a grammar school, but we do politics, and psychology but the rest of our stuff is traditional

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E_J_C_2000)
    Well this is going to turn into a general waffle but here we go:
    I went to a fantastic state primary school which I loved, and then went on to a 320 pupil all-girls private school which means I have to travel two hours a day. I live so far away none of my friends are nearby and I'm fed up with having no social life or love interests! I have two choices for Sixth form, I can stay where I am, or I can move to a nearby state school with a reasonable reputation and quite a good mixed 6th form with over 100 ppl in each year. I have effectively made the decision to go but I am worried that it will be a massive culture shock for me and I won't make any friends etc. I think a mixed sixth form would be a better place for me but I'm a bit apprehensive about what it'll be like. A couple of people from my old primary school are going there too which means I'll know a couple of people but I haven't been in touch with them for 5 years! Has anyone else made the transition from private to state? I would be really grateful for any help/opinions/advice/reassurance.
    Thanks!
    OK I went to a state primary and then an all girls' high school for 5 years. At the time, I loved it (or so I thought) and never wanted to leave (I was probably the only one of my friends who didn't go through a stage of threatening to leave). I think the main reason was that I fitted in well and had a number of friends I really got on with, whereas I'd arrived late at primary school, everyone had already made friends and no-one wanted to know me.

Anyway, we ran out of money to fund my schooling despite being on a 70% bursary and my parents said I had to leave for my AS levels.

Basically I got really distraught and ended up being offered more money (after getting better GCSEs - previously when they thought I was going to fail everything the school had actually started to try to get rid of me) to stay, but (and I *finally* reach what resembles the point ) I found that by that point, having visited the local college and contemplated not having to do the long journey to school every day anymore, not having the intense academic pressure girls' schools put on you, or the *****ing, etcetc, I didn't want to stay anymore.

I've been at the college for a year now and whilst there are very few people there I genuinely like, when I look back on the high school I think I was kind of fooling myself anyway - there just aren't many people who share my interests and stuff! Sorry I'm going off the point AGAIN, the heat does this to me

BASICALLY, having moved from private school to state college, I feel it's the best thing I ever did. The atmosphere here is so much more relaxed, everyone's more outgoing, the pressure is less and when you do do well it's far more recognised, and believe me, you cannot underestimate what travelling every day does to your health - much easier to go to school locally. Go for it - it's nerve-wracking but in a month or two you'll be so thankful you did

ReputationRep:
    im at private for sixth form after being at the school for 3 years before I started A-levels and it was for me personally the best choice. Yes the number of subjects available is less although media, communications and physcology are all offered but my classes are smaller - the max being 3!!!!!!!! It really depends on your personality and what you have been used too.

What did it for me was the fact that I would have had to spend time getting to know new people and new staff instead of being very relaxed where I am.

ReputationRep:
    Private every time, my friend.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.