- 4 of owens poems
    - 3 sassoon
    - 2 women writers
    - 2 novels
    - a poem each from other major male war poets - about 7
    - social stuff from age.

pls tell me if i need more otherwise im screwed. cheers

ReputationRep:
    It's fine, do you have anything on plays and novels?

ReputationRep:
    the novels we looked at were 'regeneration' and 'birdsong' and im looking at Testament of youth'. we watched journeys end and i can kind of remember it, plus im a big fan of blackadder so i can always quote that if needed i guess. i was just checking really, as i ve seen so many people come on here with extensive lists. thanks for the reassurance!

ReputationRep:
    Then yeah, as long as you have a balance across prose, poetry and drama, and have around five quotes that give you different angles - you'll be fine. I'd say that the list you have is pretty big compared to the amount some of my friends did - who got As.

ReputationRep:
    o cool, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You've learnt 2 novels?! Lol.

I've not done anywhere near that amount, I'm trusting to luck and hopefully blagging my way through it :P

I've learnt about 3 poems word by word, and useful quotes from others, plus I've got lists of quotes from plays and novels. That's about it lol.

ReputationRep:
    Since you've put so much emphasis on Sassoon and Owen, you've probably only looked at how war is represented by Georgian poets, who are essentially reactionary.

You might want to consider some of Aldington's short Imagist poems, to show that you're aware of developments within the poetic tradition (Penguin publish an anthology called 'Imagist Poetry', ed. Peter Jones, that contains them). Also, if you want to discuss war in relation to culture and Modernism, Section V of Pound's 'Hugh Selwyn Mauberly' (in any edition of his Selected Poems) is a good place to start.

Viriginia Woolf's novel 'Jacob's Room' is a superb book about the First World War (and I suppose gets brownie points from AQA because it's by a woman), though the war itself is never described. Also, David Jones, 'In Parenthesis' and Ford Madox Ford's 'Parade's End'.

Of course, if you get some rubbish extracts in the exam then you'll not have a springboard from which to launch a discussion of any of these. But, I'd certainly encourage you to consider Modernism as well as the more 'traditional' (and in my opinion less interesting) texts that most people read. Something about "Development of literary tradition" appears in the Mark Scheme, I think.

The Imagist poems + bit from Pound are very short, just need thinking about; if you're pressed for time you needn't read the novels I suggested.

ReputationRep:
    Appendix: obviously you've done plenty of preparation already, so needn't worry. You'll certainly stand out if you write about the above, though.

ReputationRep:
    More than I did and I got an A. I think you need to just be selective about what parts of those texts might be most essential to discuss in your responses. Make sure you can cover questions on comradeship... etc. Also make sure you are able to do all you need to with unseen texts.

ReputationRep:
    o great, thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenni_Kitten)
    You've learnt 2 novels?! Lol.

I've not done anywhere near that amount, I'm trusting to luck and hopefully blagging my way through it :P

I've learnt about 3 poems word by word, and useful quotes from others, plus I've got lists of quotes from plays and novels. That's about it lol.
    when i said learnt 2 novels, i meant briefly skim through in class.lol

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.