Turn on thread page Beta

Anime society - Licensed anime watch

ReputationRep:
    When an anime is licensed for release in the US or UK fansubbers are supposed to stop produced subbed episodes and stop hosting previous subbed episodes of the animes series.

Do you still go looking for fansubs even though you know the anime is licensed?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I don't. I'm a good girl

ReputationRep:
    When I began watching anime my morals were very firm. If a series was licensed, I'd stop. However, said morals have since disintergrated, though it doesn't really require me to 'go looking for fansubs', as I've adjusted to using a torrent site that seems to share my ethics.

I don't however, start watching a series after it has been licensed, especially if it has been for a long time, and I justify my continued watching of various series in the fact that I am very likely to buy them at some point when they are released on DVD.

I currently legitimately own all of Full Metal Panic, Hellsing, R.O.D. OST and various films as well as the main part of Fruits Basket, Nadeshiko, Pretear and the first DVD of Peace Maker Kurogane. When it is released (although I might wait for a boxset edition) I also fully intend to purchase Scrapped Princess and Full Metal Alchemist (oh the expense!) so the American licensing companies are doing well out of me.

Hmmm...and looking at Play I'm seeing a number of other things to be tempted by. *must control urges*

I might start posting a list of available series to buy over here on DVD. Though it may be pointless!

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the series, I dont think anyone would have a problem downloading One Peice fansubs considering how bad the dubbed tv version is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    When I began watching anime my morals were very firm. If a series was licensed, I'd stop. However, said morals have since disintergrated, though it doesn't really require me to 'go looking for fansubs', as I've adjusted to using a torrent site that seems to share my ethics.

I don't however, start watching a series after it has been licensed, especially if it has been for a long time, and I justify my continued watching of various series in the fact that I am very likely to buy them at some point when they are released on DVD.

I currently legitimately own all of Full Metal Panic, Hellsing, R.O.D. OST and various films as well as the main part of Fruits Basket, Nadeshiko, Pretear and the first DVD of Peace Maker Kurogane. When it is released (although I might wait for a boxset edition) I also fully intend to purchase Scrapped Princess and Full Metal Alchemist (oh the expense!) so the American licensing companies are doing well out of me.

Hmmm...and looking at Play I'm seeing a number of other things to be tempted by. *must control urges*

I might start posting a list of available series to buy over here on DVD. Though it may be pointless!
    Not at all, it will be very useful and I might add it to my front page post, since not everyone can download anime and they may be able to buy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juueru_chou)
    Not at all, it will be very useful and I might add it to my front page post, since not everyone can download anime and they may be able to buy it.
    Actually, I've just been perusing the 'Special Offers' section on Play and have found they've added a number of titles to the section. Some of the series' are actually very recent and it's well worth a look for anyone who has a bit of dosh/wants to buy some anime.

But on a negative- arg! There's numerous things I now want to get (while reduced) and I've only just spent a load of money buying a bunch of new manga! *lament of the bank account*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Actually, I've just been perusing the 'Special Offers' section on Play and have found they've added a number of titles to the section. Some of the series' are actually very recent and it's well worth a look for anyone who has a bit of dosh/wants to buy some anime.

But on a negative- arg! There's numerous things I now want to get (while reduced) and I've only just spent a load of money buying a bunch of new manga! *lament of the bank account*
    When I am actually bringing in money I fully intend to get all available volumes of Naruto, PoT, once peice, bleach, mai hime not to mention a whole lot of anime.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    When I am actually bringing in money I fully intend to get all available volumes of Naruto, PoT, once peice, bleach, mai hime not to mention a whole lot of anime.
    But until then you can make up your own episodes of Naruto!

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you dont fall for bootlegged copies. I bought Gundam Seed from ebay for £45 and the subbing is HORRIBLE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paranoid_teen)
    Make sure you dont fall for bootlegged copies. I bought Gundam Seed from ebay for £45 and the subbing is HORRIBLE.
    When I come to buy anime I don't intend getting it of ebay, I'll go with proper retailers. One favourite with sellers on ebay is to get hong kong anime DVDs that have terrible english subs (one of the arcs of PoT I watched was ripped from hong kong DVDs and the subbing was almost unbearable).

ReputationRep:
    When I come to buy anime I don't intend getting it of ebay, I'll go with proper retailers. One favourite with sellers on ebay is to get hong kong anime DVDs that have terrible english subs (one of the arcs of PoT I watched was ripped from hong kong DVDs and the subbing was almost unbearable).
    Yep, I'd never buy DVDs or music of Ebay. The chances are you'll be buying something dodgy.

For anime - use Play. At full price, the DVDs are £14.99, opposed to the £19.99 you will be paying if you get them from HMV. I believe Amazon prices are mid way, but Play is almost always cheaper for anime and have much better service (-always free delivery and always dispatch fast, as opposed to Amazon who have crappy customer service and if they say 'Dispatch within 24 hours' you'll be lucky to get it in 2 weeks *grumbles* -also you have to spend £19 odd to get free P&P). It turns out also, that various online supermarkets, including ASDA and Tesco, have also started to sell anime, again will pricess on a similar level to Amazon (£16.99 ish), but I don't know how good/fast they are for ordering off.

For manga - as a rule, Amazon tends to be cheaper (although they keep increasing the prices) and has a very good selection. If you buy manga at a book shop, eg Ottakers, it's likely to cost you £6.99, where as Amazon charge between £4.50-£5.50 for most titles. Play doesn't really have a very good range yet, and some are expensive, but it's worth checking as occassionally they are the same and cheaper, and as said above, their service is much much faster. I've also discovered recently that Tesco online are also selling manga, though their prices seem to range from £5 ish to full retail price.

----

Licensed anime series and or movies (of which various DVDs are) currently reduced on Play-

AD Police
    Ah My Goddess!
    Akira
    Alien of Darkness
    Amon Saga
    Angelic Layer
    The Animatrix

Beyblade
    Bio Hunter
    Blackjack
    Blood: The Last Vampire
    Blue Gender
    Boogiepop Phantom
    Bubblegum Crash
    Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040

Cowboy Bebop

Dai Guard
    Dead Leaves
    Detonator Orgun
    Dragonball Z

Excel Saga

Final Fantasy
    Fruits Basket
    Full Metal Panic

Generator Gawl
    Ghost in a Shell
    Ghost Sweeper Mikami
    Grave Of The Fireflies
    Gunsmith Cats

Idol of Darkness

Kiddy Grade

Landlock
    Love Hina

Macross Plus
    Madox
    Martian Successor Nadesico
    Mazinkaiser
    Memories
    Metropolis
    Mission of Darkness

Neon Genesis Evangelion
    New Cutey Honey
    New Dominion Tank Police
    New Gall Force
    Ninja Scroll
    Noir

Oh My Goddess!

Perfect Blue
    Pokemon
    Pretear
    Princess Mononoke
    Psychic Wars
    Psycho Diver Soul Siren

Queen Emeraldas

Rahxephon
    Ray Earth
    Read of Die
    Riding Bean

Serial Experiments Lain
    Sin
    Slayers
    Spawn
    Spirited Away
    Sword For Truth

Tenchi Muyo
    Transformers
    Twilight Of The Dark Master

Urotsukidoji

Vampire Hunter D
    Vampire Princess Miyu
    Vampire Wars

X

You're Under Arrest

Zaion
    Zone Of The Enders

ReputationRep:
    i never download anime. its so easier and quicker to buy them. lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flaminchocolate)
    Well, I can get a 26 episode anime series in about 10 hours (assuming it is about 5GB) which cost me nothing and is likely to cost around £100 if I bought it from the shops (not that every anime series that I watch is available over here)

ReputationRep:
    Woah, what connection is that at juueru chou? (I have a 576 KB connection, but when it comes to download stuff on bit torrent its usually pretty slow) So far the only anime I have ever downloaded is the first episode of Comic Party Revolution, I believe that isnt licensed but Im not sure. I think I'd only download unlisenced anime, licenced ones such as Excel Saga and Cowboy Bebop I'd rather buy on DVD than just downloading on the computer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tidasquall)
    Woah, what connection is that at juueru chou? (I have a 576 KB connection, but when it comes to download stuff on bit torrent its usually pretty slow) So far the only anime I have ever downloaded is the first episode of Comic Party Revolution, I believe that isnt licensed but Im not sure. I think I'd only download unlisenced anime, licenced ones such as Excel Saga and Cowboy Bebop I'd rather buy on DVD than just downloading on the computer.
    I have a 2Mb connection and I have found that bittorrent is always quite fast for me, especially with the more popular torrents.

ReputationRep:
    I have a 2Mb connection and I have found that bittorrent is always quite fast for me, especially with the more popular torrents.
    Same here. The thing to watch out for when using bittorrent is to make sure your firewall isn't blocking ports. Before I unblocked the ports that bit torrent uses i was only getting speeds of like, 20/30 kbp/s 50 max. now its a lot better.

My thinking is that Whilst many anime is licensed in america, very few get a uk license until they have actually been shown in US and about to be brought over. So my thinking is that, seeing as I'm in the UK its OK! lol.

people seem to forget that downloading anime in the first place is ... err... well it aint exactly legit is it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UpliftMof0)
    Same here. The thing to watch out for when using bittorrent is to make sure your firewall isn't blocking ports. Before I unblocked the ports that bit torrent uses i was only getting speeds of like, 20/30 kbp/s 50 max. now its a lot better.

My thinking is that Whilst many anime is licensed in america, very few get a uk license until they have actually been shown in US and about to be brought over. So my thinking is that, seeing as I'm in the UK its OK! lol.

people seem to forget that downloading anime in the first place is ... err... well it aint exactly legit is it.
    True, it might not be legit, but most fansubbers do follow a certain code and because of that the anime makers turn a blind eye.

ReputationRep:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also if u buy them u get the nice box - trailer for other shows and sumtyms a super funky audio commetary which are always cool! Also if u have people round and u go here's my anime collection and point to ur PC they wud be like oh rite but if u have them all in physical boxes u can go - heres my anime collections and they can go wow - geek u got loads lol

But true i wud download but my collection is too slow.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I can get a 26 episode anime series in about 10 hours (assuming it is about 5GB) which cost me nothing and is likely to cost around £100 if I bought it from the shops (not that every anime series that I watch is available over here)
    the thing is i dont have 10 hours and my computer is familys computer so i cant just leave it on my account untill download completes. so i'd rather spend money. lol.

ReputationRep:
    :P so anyone having any all nite anime sesses in the near future. Any1 at uni who already does? Just curious bout wot u watch. I'm gonna spend a wholke evening watching evangelion in the summmer

(I will not let this thread die lol)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.