Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well, C4 is less than a week away now and im not quite up to scratch on everything.

In particular, im having trouble with vectors / planes, and parametric equations can be quite difficult too.

Feel free to post questions for other people to answer or if you need help you can post here too

ReputationRep:
    how you feling about the comprehension paper? Hopefully it shouldn't be too bad!

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure about that one. It should be pretty easy but when we were looking at them in class i found it hard to take in all the information - probably because everyone was chatting and i couldnt concentrate though

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah.....is it true that we will not be tested on small angle approximations from the trig chapter? thats what my teacher told me.

ReputationRep:
    I havent heard about that so i would learn it just in case. There isnt all that much to it.

When θ is small and measured in radians

Sinθ ≈ θ
    Cosθ ≈ 1 - θ2/2
    Tanθ ≈ θ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    I havent heard about that so i would learn it just in case. There isnt all that much to it.

When θ is small

Sinθ ≈ θ
    Cosθ ≈ 1 - θ2/2
    Tanθ ≈ θ

Have you been doing the practice papers? nothing in them with regards to this. Yeah, i reckon its best to learn it just in case.
    How did you find C3 if you don't mind me asking? i thought it was harder than the practice papers.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah ive been doing the practice papers and havent found a question on them but you never know. I though C3 went pretty well actually but exam results will tell :p:

ReputationRep:
    could someone show me how to do q9)ii) of practice paper C4 - C, about vector AM. I dont know where the 9/13 came in the mark scheme? Any help would be much appreciated.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering what the difference is between MEI and normal OCR. All the MEI stuff seems a lot harder, or is this just me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabz)
    Just wondering what the difference is between MEI and normal OCR. All the MEI stuff seems a lot harder, or is this just me?
    No, not really, Mei is just a new version of OCR, and it is alot easier, I mean that! I do Mei Math.

For more information http://www.mei.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bachelor)
    could someone show me how to do q9)ii) of practice paper C4 - C, about vector AM. I dont know where the 9/13 came in the mark scheme? Any help would be much appreciated.
    thanks
    heh i think thats a mistake because i cant understand it either. Surely you just let λ = 2/3? Which gives a totaly different answer.

Im scanning it in now - will attach when its done. Hopefully someone can help

Edit: Here it is
    http://img300.echo.cx/img300/3153/sc...00509333up.jpg
    You might want to save it and rotate it :p:

ReputationRep:
    yeah thats what i thought as well, 2/3. Bloody exam board, cant even get together decent mark schemes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the same question on C4-C...

If AN was 9/13 of AM, then NM would be 4/13 of AM, but that's not a ratio of 2:1. :confused:

While I'm here, does anyone know the answer to q. 3 on C4-C?

Curve y²=x - 1 is rotated round x-axis between 1 and 3

Surely it's V = ∫πy²dx between 1 and 3
    Which is the same as ∫x-1dx between 1 and 3

But in the mark scheme they have V = ∫πx^4dx between 0 and 2?

Sorry i would scan it in but I don't know how!

ReputationRep:
    Did they definitely give the curve in this form y²=x - 1?

Does it say how much they rotated it by because otherwise that's a bit dodgy..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prittstick)
    I'm on the same question on C4-C...

If AN was 9/13 of AM, then NM would be 4/13 of AM, but that's not a ratio of 2:1. :confused:

While I'm here, does anyone know the answer to q. 3 on C4-C?

Curve y²=x - 1 is rotated round x-axis between 1 and 3

Surely it's V = ∫πy²dx between 1 and 3
    Which is the same as ∫x-1dx between 1 and 3

But in the mark scheme they have V = ∫πx^4dx between 0 and 2?

Sorry i would scan it in but I don't know how!
    The answers to that question is wrong too. I had to ask my teacher about that because it didnt make any sense what so ever and he said it has got to be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spenceman_)
    Did they definitely give the curve in this form y²=x - 1?

Does it say how much they rotated it by because otherwise that's a bit dodgy..
    Yeah, the question exactly is:

"The curve y²=x-1 for 1 <* x < 3 is rotated 360° about the x-axis. Find the volume of the solid formed"

*< in this case is actually "less than or equals to" but I don't know how to make that sign!

Edited to say -
    Oh that is good cortez! Well good in the sense that it isn't me who doesn't know what I'm doing...damn MEI and their silly mistakes :rolleyes:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 15, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.