Turn on thread page Beta

Please help! No-ne seems to know this area of physics!! watch

ReputationRep:
    Looking for a bit of feedback for the following question:
    Compare the rate and flow of heat per unit area through a solid brick wall and that of a cavity wall, filled with insulating foam. Assume steady state conditions,parallel flow and that the outside and inside temperatures are 21 cent and 1 cent respectivley.Solid brick wall=200mm thick. Cavity wall=brickd 2x100mm thick, with 50mm cavity.talk about surface resistance too.:rolleyes: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sazzarooo)
    Looking for a bit of feedback for the following question:
    Compare the rate and flow of heat per unit area through a solid brick wall and that of a cavity wall, filled with insulating foam. Assume steady state conditions,parallel flow and that the outside and inside temperatures are 21 cent and 1 cent respectivley.Solid brick wall=200mm thick. Cavity wall=brickd 2x100mm thick, with 50mm cavity.talk about surface resistance too.:rolleyes: :confused:
    is this like thermal stuff?

cos i know about steady state i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyj72)
    is this like thermal stuff?

cos i know about steady state i think
    yes-:confused:

ReputationRep:
    its about energy going from a hot environment to a cold environment where the hot environment has a constant input of energy, steady state, but ive never had to do any calculationsfor that sort of stuff. what exam board are you on?

ReputationRep:
    Is this a synoptic question, if it is i think i've done it.My teacher bought a book with loads of them in. If it is the same question everything is analogous to electrical equations, mainlyV=IR. The difference in temperature is like the potential difference, I think you are given a thermal resistance co-effcient for every material used, which is analogous to resistivity. Multiply this by the length of each material used, this gives resistance per unit area, then you can work out "I/A", where I represents heat flow.

ReputationRep:
    is this edexcel???

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou ever so much for your feedback. I had almost given up with anyone coming up with anything. James-your feedback is spot on and although it is knew to me I am beginning to get a grasp of it. Cheers.
    With only a week to go and my portfolio still incomplete-I am offski now to get on with the finishing touches.
    Thanks again! :tsr: :cool:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.