This discussion is closed.
Ian/Cath Ford
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I have to teach a module on rural geography next year and was thinking that it would be really cool
to use some movie clips to get them thinking and whatever. What I need to know is:

* I know I can play movies on a pooter, but can I edit them to just get clips that I want rather
than have to muck around?
* how big a pooter would I need to do this sensibly?
* where can I get movies from to play on said pooter?

* (for Ginnie mainly) anyone think of any cool movie clips that would be good to show up the whol
rural idyl concept? In particular, new stuff - bearing in mind that I never go to the movies
anymore. I was planning on Bladerunner as a starting point.

Ta

Ian
--
Ian, Cath & Eoin Ford The view from Beccles

Support clubs against Carlton & Granada: Boycott ITV world cup coverage.

You know what to do: delete the dots but leave the .s to reply to us.
Chris Share
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 19:49:02 GMTs, Ian/Cath Ford ([email protected]) said...
[q1]>I have to teach a module on rural geography next year and was thinking that it would be really cool[/q1]
[q1]>to use some movie clips to get them thinking and whatever. What I need to know is:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>* I know I can play movies on a pooter, but can I edit them to just get clips that I want rather[/q1]
[q1]> than have to muck around?[/q1]
[q1]>* how big a pooter would I need to do this sensibly?[/q1]

Depends.... anything 500MHz or so up can play them, but the faster the better really, especially for
editing them. And a big hard disc is a necessity.... you'll need absolute minimum 10 gig to play
with, preferably quite a lot more. And a decent monitor or tv-out will be needed if you want the
whole class to see.

[q1]>* where can I get movies from to play on said pooter?[/q1]

Legally or not? Of course the way you do it is get the dvd of it, and then copy it as a divx
using one of the many programs referred to on www.doom9.org - divx 5 and gordian knot is the best
combination there. There's a full guide on there, but feel free to email me with questions. And then
you can cut them up with virtual dub - you'll just need to play the movie and find the start and end
times of the bit you want, then you can but out only that bit in Video -> Select Range.

[q1]>* (for Ginnie mainly) anyone think of any cool movie clips that would be good to show up the whol[/q1]
[q1]> rural idyl concept? In particular, new stuff - bearing in mind that I never go to the movies[/q1]
[q1]> anymore. I was planning on Bladerunner as a starting point.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Ta[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Ian[/q1]

Sorry, can't help with this bit...

chris
Smish
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q2]> >I have to teach a module on rural geography next year and was thinking that it would be really[/q2]
[q2]> >cool to use some movie clips to get them thinking and whatever. What I need to know is:[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >* I know I can play movies on a pooter, but can I edit them to just get clips that I want rather[/q2]
[q2]> > than have to muck around?[/q2]
[q2]> >* how big a pooter would I need to do this sensibly?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Depends.... anything 500MHz or so up can play them, but the faster the better really, especially[/q1]
[q1]> for editing them. And a big hard disc is a necessity.... you'll need absolute minimum 10 gig to[/q1]
[q1]> play with, preferably quite a lot more. And a decent monitor or tv-out will be needed if you want[/q1]
[q1]> the whole class to see.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >* where can I get movies from to play on said pooter?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Legally or not? Of course the way you do it is get the dvd of it, and then copy it as a divx[/q1]
[q1]> using one of the many programs referred to on www.doom9.org - divx 5 and gordian knot is the best[/q1]
[q1]> combination there. There's a full guide on there, but feel free to email me with questions. And[/q1]
[q1]> then you can cut them up with virtual dub - you'll just need to play the movie and find the start[/q1]
[q1]> and end times of the bit you want, then you can but out only that bit in Video -> Select Range.[/q1]

It's not really nesscary to divx it, converting to mpeg will probably be fine, if you have enough
storage space.

I fear we may have lost Ian already though, I dunno how much computerry stuff he knows and would be
willing to learn for this.

adam
Chris Share
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 22:56:22 +0100s, smish([email protected]) said...
[q2]>> Of course the way you do it is get the dvd of it, and then copy it as a divx using one of the[/q2]
[q2]>> many programs referred to on www.doom9.org - divx 5 and gordian knot is the best combination[/q2]
[q2]>> there. There's a full guide on there, but feel free to email me with questions. And then you can[/q2]
[q2]>> cut them up with virtual dub - you'll just need to play the movie and find the start and end[/q2]
[q2]>> times of the bit you want, then you can but out only that bit in Video -> Select Range.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>It's not really nesscary to divx it, converting to mpeg will probably be fine, if you have enough[/q1]
[q1]>storage space.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I fear we may have lost Ian already though, I dunno how much computerry stuff he knows and would be[/q1]
[q1]>willing to learn for this.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>adam[/q1]

Are you mad? Do you know how much space mpeg takes up? I'm not even sure you can have it at a
reasonable resolution.... mpeg2's a possible, but it's much harder to edit than divx, without
programs that cost thousands. Which also applies to mpeg1... trust me, divx is the easiest.

Oh yeah, Ian: I forgot to mention one very obvious thing - of course you need a dvd drive. At least
to rip the dvd in the first place.

chris
dvdhackmaster
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I know a powerful, high efficient and is easy to use tool to convert a DVD movie to a Divx file,
that is "Dvd to Divx" ,only takes up 1/10 original DVD space . You can download the trial version
free from http://www.dvd-to-divx.com

hris Share <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:<MPG.179d5f9ab836f2c8989ca6 @130.133.1.4>...
[q1]> On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 22:56:22 +0100s, smish([email protected]) said...[/q1]
[q2]> >> Of course the way you do it is get the dvd of it, and then copy it as a divx using one of the[/q2]
[q2]> >> many programs referred to on www.doom9.org - divx 5 and gordian knot is the best combination[/q2]
[q2]> >> there. There's a full guide on there, but feel free to email me with questions. And then you[/q2]
[q2]> >> can cut them up with virtual dub - you'll just need to play the movie and find the start and[/q2]
[q2]> >> end times of the bit you want, then you can but out only that bit in Video -> Select Range.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >It's not really nesscary to divx it, converting to mpeg will probably be fine, if you have enough[/q2]
[q2]> >storage space.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >I fear we may have lost Ian already though, I dunno how much computerry stuff he knows and would[/q2]
[q2]> >be willing to learn for this.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >adam[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Are you mad? Do you know how much space mpeg takes up? I'm not even sure you can have it at a[/q1]
[q1]> reasonable resolution.... mpeg2's a possible, but it's much harder to edit than divx, without[/q1]
[q1]> programs that cost thousands. Which also applies to mpeg1... trust me, divx is the easiest.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Oh yeah, Ian: I forgot to mention one very obvious thing - of course you need a dvd drive. At[/q1]
[q1]> least to rip the dvd in the first place.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> chris[/q1]
Ginnie Redston
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Ian/Cath Ford" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> I have to teach a module on rural geography next year and was thinking that it would be really[/q1]
[q1]> cool to use some movie clips to get them thinking and whatever. What I need to know is:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> * I know I can play movies on a pooter, but can I edit them to just get clips that I want rather[/q1]
[q1]> than have to muck around?[/q1]
[q1]> * how big a pooter would I need to do this sensibly?[/q1]
[q1]> * where can I get movies from to play on said pooter?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Should be able to, but I'll leave that to our local techies.

[q1]> * (for Ginnie mainly) anyone think of any cool movie clips that would be good to show up the whol[/q1]
[q1]> rural idyl concept? In particular, new stuff - bearing in mind that I never go to the movies[/q1]
[q1]> anymore. I was planning on Bladerunner as a starting point.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Bladerunner? Nownow, don't start that again! (Anyway Mark seems to be off somewhere.)

Rural idyll eh? As an aged film buff I tend to think of Julie Christie costume classics like "The
Go-between" (Set in East Anglia I think) or "Far from the Madding Crowd". But "The Land-Girls"
(http://us.imdb.com/Title?0119494) is fairly recent and may be available cheap. It has the advantage
of starring Anna Friel and Rachel Weisz <for the
blokes> and a pre-A Knight's Tale (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0183790) Paul
Bettany and Steven Mackintosh <for the wimmen>

Must be more.....meanwhile hth.

Ginnie
Chris Share
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On 15 Jul 2002 23:37:47 -0700s, [email protected] ([email protected]) said...
[q1]>I know a powerful, high efficient and is easy to use tool to convert a DVD movie to a Divx file,[/q1]
[q1]>that is "Dvd to Divx" ,only takes up 1/10 original DVD space . You can download the trial version[/q1]
[q1]>free from http://www.dvd-to-divx.com[/q1]

Why? What's so much better about it than all the free tools that work very well?

And even done very carefully, at 1/10 compression it won't look that wonderful.

chris
Smish
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q2]> >> Of course the way you do it is get the dvd of it, and then copy it as a divx using one of the[/q2]
[q2]> >> many programs referred to on www.doom9.org - divx 5 and gordian knot is the best combination[/q2]
[q2]> >> there. There's a full guide on there, but feel free to email me with questions. And then you[/q2]
[q2]> >> can cut them up with virtual dub - you'll just need to play the movie and find the start and[/q2]
[q2]> >> end times of the bit you want, then you can but out only that bit in Video -> Select Range.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >It's not really nesscary to divx it, converting to mpeg will probably be fine, if you have enough[/q2]
[q2]> >storage space.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >I fear we may have lost Ian already though, I dunno how much computerry stuff he knows and would[/q2]
[q2]> >be willing to learn for this.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >adam[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Are you mad? Do you know how much space mpeg takes up? I'm not even sure you can have it at a[/q1]
[q1]> reasonable resolution.... mpeg2's a possible, but it's much harder to edit than divx, without[/q1]
[q1]> programs that cost thousands. Which also applies to mpeg1... trust me, divx is the easiest.[/q1]

10 meg a minute, not too bad, and much easier when editing and stuff.

not sure whether that is mpg1 or 2, it's what most my downloaded tv episiodes are

adam
Chris Share
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 18:50:46 +0100s, smish([email protected]) said...
[q2]>> Are you mad? Do you know how much space mpeg takes up? I'm not even sure you can have it at a[/q2]
[q2]>> reasonable resolution.... mpeg2's a possible, but it's much harder to edit than divx, without[/q2]
[q2]>> programs that cost thousands. Which also applies to mpeg1... trust me, divx is the easiest.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>10 meg a minute, not too bad, and much easier when editing and stuff.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>not sure whether that is mpg1 or 2, it's what most my downloaded tv episiodes are [/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>adam[/q1]

That's mpeg1... but you forget to mention that it's also very low resolution.

And how do you edit that? I spose adding two together is easy, cat film1.mpg + film2.mpg >
filmtot.mpg. but beyond that? And how do you fix mpeg errors? I have several that make screeching
noises when playing them, and virtualdub gives an error when I try to convert them.

And that takes a whole CD for quite a short film... even at 352*288 or whatever it is. Which you can
instead fill with full DVD resolution
divx....

chris
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads