Turn on thread page Beta

Beauty, ugliness, shame -- indepth and torn apart--an explanation beyond what's there watch

ReputationRep:
    Why do people feel guilt for thinking something is ugly? Why do people feel guilt for thinking something is beautiful? Perhaps it is because we know deep down that at any given moment something could be torn from us; and the beauty we make relevant so much is seen as a weakness or perhaps a bad quality.

Why would somebody beautiful feel guilty for being beautiful in front of nonbeautiful people? Do they feel undeserving of the attention, recognition, or simply do they see the humanity in ugliness and remind themselves of their blessings?

Why would somebody ugly feel ashamed? Perhaps it is because they make a thing of beauty, much like other people, but feel like failures in having not achieved it. Is beauty something that needs to be worked for? Is ugliness simply inherent?

Perhaps it is beauty that is inherent; and ugliness comes from the emotions people attach to things they desire; setting them up high, and unachievable.

Beautiful people may be reminded of a time in their life when they set high standards, and feel guilty for seeing ugly people that suffer for their mere image. They try to explain the ugliness as a way to offer hope to their lasting-beauty, and by doing so they open up gatways to ugliness. This person is ugly because of a choice they made--wait, I could make this wrong choice!

Ugly people then feel ashamed for wanting to be something they are not; perhaps it fills them with the idea of vulnerability and lack of self-worth for they have failed in this aspect of their self.

Admitting to yourself your decidedly bad natures, and changing them is the first step of beauty. Ugliness is simply something we would not want to have; if by using ugliness to recognize your own flaws, perhaps you could negotiate a change?

People who see ugliness and beauty as the luck of the draw often find their selves in confusion and loss of hope...but perhaps they lie deeper; at the heart of intent. Beauty was once believed through centuries to be a reflection of the soul--Truth, Beauty, and Goodness.

People who recognize the ugliness relate to their self a site of ugliness in their self. Instead of lingering around on a hope for physical change; perhaps accept the truth, feel no shame or guilt in being the way you are--most likely you feel this way because of society--and instead use it as a chance to improve yourself.

Consider what you find to be ugly and bad qualities in people--do you also have these qualities? If you do, the first step is truthfully admitting them as a part of yourself, as hiding them can cause much stress and lead to health problems. Accept it, and do what you can to change it. Goodness is also in the eye of the beholder; so pursuing your own ideals of goodness, truth, etc. will ultimately lead to beauty.

Society has a way of holding people to their shameful qualities; making them ashamed of changing...shame comes out of your own resistance. If you feel ashamed of changing and deserving, is this also because you see it a hard thing for other people to achieve? The more you put standards on things--ie. other people and their own ability to grow--you are also unconsciously putting standards on yourself. You see, also unconsciously you know we are all equal and of the same "deserving". When you see ugly, you find ugliness in yourself. When you see beauty you also find beauty. When you see bad, you find the bad.

Everything we learn in life comes from other people; or so it would seem. So continuously applying childish ideas will ultimately keep you suffering from them. I once knew a person who thought all beautiful people, strong, wealthy, happy, etc. were bad. The thing that I didn't understand is, why? Most people I know like this aren't...they're just simply more realistic and less "personal". Movies, T.V., books, etc. have a way of distorting the truth, as well. The reason the Western culture finds rareness in beauty, has much obesity, poverty, problems, etc. is also because we live in this superficial world of fantasy, using entertainment as a means of finding glory.

We all know what it takes to be a good person--we use our own standards...what's hard, however, is people trying to live up to their own standards. Changing your standards is possible; living up to them is also possible; but change must take place. I know ugly people who think, "If I looked better I would be a better person." Perhaps it is the other way around? It is no coincidence people who have what they want seem to be better, happier, more fulfilled people. It is not a luck of the draw always; it can be, you change yourself, and the things you want will come with it.

Every day you're alive time moves forward, and change occurs. You do not have to wait around for a change to occur, but instead change yourself.

ReputationRep:
    People who constantly see their selves as ugly are seeing beautiful people as a better way to be...while beautiful people see beauty as just something about their self. If you learn to love yourself and let go of all needs, standards, fears (fear of being ugly, or being unliked or not having attention or being cared for), you'll begin to see that the things you want will come as a result of this. You see, you don't become a beautiful person by waking up one day and seeing you are beautiful...you become beautiful by being beautiful. Everything you want is okay...you have preferences, you have knowledge, you know what you want...but you don't stop there and take it, you simply move on to other parts of life.

I read on here about someone ugly who was embarrassed to leave the house. You don't become beautiful sitting around worrying about what people think about how you look, or how you think you look, you become beautiful by first trusting what you know is beautiful, by learning to accept even ugliness as human and deserving, and then the things you want will come through even more with the more "love", or acceptance you give.

If a rich man saw being poor as horrible, wouldn't he go to extremes to maintain being rich? If a beautiful person saw being ugly as horrible, wouldn't they go to extremes to remain beautiful? The universe and nature exist...because you exist, you can only but trust that you are allowed to have just as much, or as little as the next person. When you begin limiting your view (I would never want to be this!), you will begin worrying about yourself, losing energy and precious times of "being in the moment" and moving on life one second to the next being completely happy.

We are not born more or less than someone else...you become this based on your attitude and how you let this affect your health, motivation, and clarity of thinking. Thinking should be used to help you, not give you a reason to lose happiness. You make choices based on what you want to do--not based on what you're "allowed" to do because of some past or present idea. Everyone is allowed to be beautiful if they want to be, but let it. Beginners luck is usually true because you aren't caring about what happens next. When you look at what you want to become, you limit your potential as being something great as well.

I want to look like this person: well, you aren't this person, and if this person did not exist, you are able to take the place of this person more easily aren't you? Why is this? It's easier to be the "best" when there's nothing to have to live up to (you create your own best, and people instinctively see this and those who are looking for a shortcut will look at you and say, "I wish I could be that"). Ignorance is bliss because it does not limit your potential, creativity, etc. People who doubt their own potential by saying that their originality and potential must be compared to someone else (ie. you can't be beautiful without first seeing beauty--which is crazy!), or by thinking that it won't be accepted or recognized are simply triyng to rob on someone else's style.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder: there is no standard for beauty. Beauty lies in a huge spectrum. Two beautiful people may look completely different, but equally desirable. The Bible's teachings are a little black-and-white, and throw back ideas of huge punishment and wrath of a God that is out to get you. Well, a lot of these things make sense, but there is no huge punishment or wrath...it just simply states that your intent for doing some of these things may be less than "worthy", or out of your own respect for yourself and other people.

If you steal from somebody it is because you lack love in what you have--and feel your potential is gained through taking rather than actually receiving. People who look to steal beauty are losing sight of the equal worth in everything--and the beauty in everything. You can always be loved, but in the society we live in today, people are in such fear of people recognizing their lack of self-love that they become embarrassed.

If you're embarrassed of being ugly, perhaps you are afraid that people will see this lack of life for your own beauty (which is reflected through physical unattractiveness; excess fat, too skinny, acne, etc.) and will recognize that you are worth less--because this is your belief about yourself. Ugly people are worth less; oh wait, I could be ugly...I'm not really worth anything unless I'm beautiful!!! Complete love for yourself means recognizing equality in everyone and differences; and if you have a hard time seeing this, you can use your past a means to overcome your negative beliefs in order to return to your own state of peace.

People who are afraid of being poor because it means they are worth less have a bad belief about this--and out of fear of their own belief. Hate is learned...a lot of the time hate is simply jealousy; someone who hates beautiful people and show this hatred are trying to convince other people to hate them as well--because they have what they want. Wanting creates this jealousy--because when you want what someone has, you lack faith in your own potential and individuality. You don't want anyone to know this...but you are jealous, and cover it up with hate. If anyone knew you were jealous, they would see your weakness--lack of love and the belief that you are worth less. You are worth as much as you're willing to believe you're worth. All emotions come from you learning distorted beliefs about your own worth.

Jealousy, anger, hate, fear, shame, guilt, excitement, etc. See, wanting something is okay...but believing you are what you consciously want hides your own potential. You are who you are regardless of what you tell people...or what people tell you. The "demon", or "devil", is simply the ego. The part of you which began when you were a baby and everything came right to you--believing other people have what you want. When they stopped doing this and you had to do things for yourself, in came frustration and the ego...the question, "Am I no longer worthy?"

It's okay to have things come to you...but society is so ****ed up, it's hard to overcome the ego. When you lose what you've always had, it's most likely because you believed you were what you had, and this determined your self worth. If I am rich, and I am no longer rich, what am I anymore? You are...you are not rich, you are not poor, you simply are. All that you want is at your fingertips, but the idea worth (the ego) puts on the illusion you are better than someone or something with it...and this causes guilt, or shame, or whatever.

People who doubt their own self worth and others' self worth are hurting not only their self, but hurting someone else--someone who may be fall into your own little misconceptions about worth as well. The physical world is not about power, or self--it's simply expression. It's hard for people to accept this because it would mean killing the EGO which gives them feelings, emotions, and proof of and fulfillment of the sensation as a means to "feeling real".

ReputationRep:
    Ctrl+C
    Ctrl+V

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    People who constantly see their selves as ugly are seeing beautiful people as a better way to be...while beautiful people see beauty as just something about their self. If you learn to love yourself and let go of all needs, standards, fears (fear of being ugly, or being unliked or not having attention or being cared for), you'll begin to see that the things you want will come as a result of this. You see, you don't become a beautiful person by waking up one day and seeing you are beautiful...you become beautiful by being beautiful. Everything you want is okay...you have preferences, you have knowledge, you know what you want...but you don't stop there and take it, you simply move on to other parts of life.

I read on here about someone ugly who was embarrassed to leave the house. You don't become beautiful sitting around worrying about what people think about how you look, or how you think you look, you become beautiful by first trusting what you know is beautiful, by learning to accept even ugliness as human and deserving, and then the things you want will come through even more with the more "love", or acceptance you give.

If a rich man saw being poor as horrible, wouldn't he go to extremes to maintain being rich? If a beautiful person saw being ugly as horrible, wouldn't they go to extremes to remain beautiful? The universe and nature exist...because you exist, you can only but trust that you are allowed to have just as much, or as little as the next person. When you begin limiting your view (I would never want to be this!), you will begin worrying about yourself, losing energy and precious times of "being in the moment" and moving on life one second to the next being completely happy.

We are not born more or less than someone else...you become this based on your attitude and how you let this affect your health, motivation, and clarity of thinking. Thinking should be used to help you, not give you a reason to lose happiness. You make choices based on what you want to do--not based on what you're "allowed" to do because of some past or present idea. Everyone is allowed to be beautiful if they want to be, but let it. Beginners luck is usually true because you aren't caring about what happens next. When you look at what you want to become, you limit your potential as being something great as well.

I want to look like this person: well, you aren't this person, and if this person did not exist, you are able to take the place of this person more easily aren't you? Why is this? It's easier to be the "best" when there's nothing to have to live up to (you create your own best, and people instinctively see this and those who are looking for a shortcut will look at you and say, "I wish I could be that"). Ignorance is bliss because it does not limit your potential, creativity, etc. People who doubt their own potential by saying that their originality and potential must be compared to someone else (ie. you can't be beautiful without first seeing beauty--which is crazy!), or by thinking that it won't be accepted or recognized are simply triyng to rob on someone else's style.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder: there is no standard for beauty. Beauty lies in a huge spectrum. Two beautiful people may look completely different, but equally desirable. The Bible's teachings are a little black-and-white, and throw back ideas of huge punishment and wrath of a God that is out to get you. Well, a lot of these things make sense, but there is no huge punishment or wrath...it just simply states that your intent for doing some of these things may be less than "worthy", or out of your own respect for yourself and other people.

If you steal from somebody it is because you lack love in what you have--and feel your potential is gained through taking rather than actually receiving. People who look to steal beauty are losing sight of the equal worth in everything--and the beauty in everything. You can always be loved, but in the society we live in today, people are in such fear of people recognizing their lack of self-love that they become embarrassed.

If you're embarrassed of being ugly, perhaps you are afraid that people will see this lack of life for your own beauty (which is reflected through physical unattractiveness; excess fat, too skinny, acne, etc.) and will recognize that you are worth less--because this is your belief about yourself. Ugly people are worth less; oh wait, I could be ugly...I'm not really worth anything unless I'm beautiful!!! Complete love for yourself means recognizing equality in everyone and differences; and if you have a hard time seeing this, you can use your past a means to overcome your negative beliefs in order to return to your own state of peace.

People who are afraid of being poor because it means they are worth less have a bad belief about this--and out of fear of their own belief. Hate is learned...a lot of the time hate is simply jealousy; someone who hates beautiful people and show this hatred are trying to convince other people to hate them as well--because they have what they want. Wanting creates this jealousy--because when you want what someone has, you lack faith in your own potential and individuality. You don't want anyone to know this...but you are jealous, and cover it up with hate. If anyone knew you were jealous, they would see your weakness--lack of love and the belief that you are worth less. You are worth as much as you're willing to believe you're worth. All emotions come from you learning distorted beliefs about your own worth.

Jealousy, anger, hate, fear, shame, guilt, excitement, etc. See, wanting something is okay...but believing you are what you consciously want hides your own potential. You are who you are regardless of what you tell people...or what people tell you. The "demon", or "devil", is simply the ego. The part of you which began when you were a baby and everything came right to you--believing other people have what you want. When they stopped doing this and you had to do things for yourself, in came frustration and the ego...the question, "Am I no longer worthy?"

It's okay to have things come to you...but society is so ****ed up, it's hard to overcome the ego. When you lose what you've always had, it's most likely because you believed you were what you had, and this determined your self worth. If I am rich, and I am no longer rich, what am I anymore? You are...you are not rich, you are not poor, you simply are. All that you want is at your fingertips, but the idea worth (the ego) puts on the illusion you are better than someone or something with it...and this causes guilt, or shame, or whatever.

People who doubt their own self worth and others' self worth are hurting not only their self, but hurting someone else--someone who may be fall into your own little misconceptions about worth as well. The physical world is not about power, or self--it's simply expression. It's hard for people to accept this because it would mean killing the EGO which gives them feelings, emotions, and proof of and fulfillment of the sensation as a means to "feeling real".
    Thanks for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    Thanks for that.
    I wonder if anyone has bothered to read all of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    I wonder if anyone has bothered to read all of it?
    Doubt it, although I managed to read the first two paragraphs.

ReputationRep:
    Doubt it, although I managed to read the first two paragraphs.
    I read the first sentence before realising that it is probably just some random warblings copied off of a christian website somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    I read the first sentence before realising that it is probably just some random warblings copied off of a christian website somewhere.
    Yes, how very pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, how very pointless.
    There's probably a point in there somewhere, but I don't really want to try and find it.

ReputationRep:
    I typed it up, first of all. Even if I didn't, I don't why it would matter? Besides, this is philosophy of fulfilling your life...not to mention, I am not a christian, nor do I believe in any religion, so i fail to see how this would qualify as religious?

ReputationRep:
    I read it all, he went to the effort of typing it all out, so he obviously believes in it. I got one word for you caz - interesting.

Its a unique philosophy

ReputationRep:
    if u do not like what i have to say u can always ignore this

dont understand why ur posting here trying to fill something about urself by throwing around the fact that u didnt even read it. dont make sense. get out this thread is not for u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    if u do not like what i have to say u can always ignore this

dont understand why ur posting here trying to fill something about urself by throwing around the fact that u didnt even read it. dont make sense. get out this thread is not for u
    Someone woke up on the wrong side of the floor this morning...!

ReputationRep:
    Someone woke up on the wrong side of the floor this morning...!
    First you whine about where this came from, doubting I wrote it. Second, you admit you didn't even read it. Third you claim it to be Christian ramblings while admitting you didn't even read it...and fourth, you continue posting and whining about it without even reading it or knowing what it's about!

That's called trolling; like I said, get out if you can't read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    First you whine about where this came from, doubting I wrote it. Second, you admit you didn't even read it. Third you claim it to be Christian ramblings while admitting you didn't even read it...and fourth, you continue posting and whining about it without even reading it or knowing what it's about!

That's called trolling; like I said, get out if you can't read.
    No... posting copious amounts of pointless and monotonous crap like that is called trolling. Like I said, ctrl+c - ctrl+v.

ReputationRep:
    No... posting copious amounts of pointless and monotonous crap like that is called trolling. Like I said, ctrl+c - ctrl+v.
    if u can find that from somewhere, then u can tell me i copied it and im trolling. otherwise ur ignorance and paranoia would seem trolling--narcissistic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    otherwise ur ignorance and paranoia would seem trolling--narcissistic
    Repeat that part so that it is legible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    I typed it up, first of all. Even if I didn't, I don't why it would matter? Besides, this is philosophy of fulfilling your life...not to mention, I am not a christian, nor do I believe in any religion, so i fail to see how this would qualify as religious?
    i read it caz it obviously took a lot of effort and these ppl are just using sarcasim and humour as an excuse for not reading it. if ya know wot i mean

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    well i thought that was lovely what you wrote about caz

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2003
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.