Turn on thread page Beta

Britains Greatest band.... watch

ReputationRep:
    Would make it easier to see as a pole I Believe!

ReputationRep:
    I've already added a poll to my link aswell but it can't help to have two and i believe the word your looking for is poll! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think you are a little too general in the poll catagories. You should've left the Smiths off, because any Smiths fans will vote the Beatles before the Smiths (who to be fair are rather rubbish). Get a bit of Iron Maiden in there for the metal fans (25 years old so keeping with the old bands that you have mentioned.) On that note, I think that metal bands are seriously sterotyped against which is not cool. More attention should be paid in looking down at the likes of Ashanti who wear nothing and influence young kids to have sex early and to reveal all.

ReputationRep:
    aah....god bless ashanti - isn't she a yank tho...
    my categories were taken from averages from another thread, so....
    i really wanted deep purple in there myself (where metal began!) but i can understand your hunger for the maiden!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silhouette)
    More attention should be paid in looking down at the likes of Ashanti who wear nothing and influence young kids to have sex early and to reveal all.
    That's just as much bullsh*t as saying Metal bands influence young kids to worship the devil and kill people/themselves...

you really are an utter c*nt...

ReputationRep:
    You should've left the Smiths off, because any Smiths fans will vote the Beatles before the Smiths (who to be fair are rather rubbish).
    I disagree -- I'd consider myself a Smiths fan, but consider the Beatles to be severely overrated. Just my opinion though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    aah....god bless ashanti - isn't she a yank tho...
    my categories were taken from averages from another thread, so....
    i really wanted deep purple in there myself (where metal began!) but i can understand your hunger for the maiden!
    Man, I just assumed Deep Purple were American. Well you should've added them to the list too . I'm a huge Morse fan (yet I don't know his nationality by the looks of things) and although Ritchie B was a genius, I'm a bigger fan of Morse (awaits hurls of abuse) but I think he's done well to step into such big shoes, and I love his side projects as well (TSM Band and The Dixie Dregs).

Babyshambles, you are sterotyping metal which I do not like as well. In this situation we're talking about metal artists who take life seriously and happily. One of the rason for example I'm such a big fan of Dream Theater, is because of their attitudes to life. It frustrates me to see people linking metal instantly to blood/gore/death. People like that really do frustrate me as metal is not about that. It's about the passion, the emotion and the long shredtastic solos. As I tell so many people, go get music therapy.

ReputationRep:
    Man, I just assumed Deep Purple were American.
    It took ages before any American metal bands appeared. It's a common cliché that in the 70s or 80s, any popular heavy metal band in the US was British.

ReputationRep:
    Babyshambles, you are sterotyping metal which I do not like as well. In this situation we're talking about metal artists who take life seriously and happily. One of the rason for example I'm such a big fan of Dream Theater, is because of their attitudes to life. It frustrates me to see people linking metal instantly to blood/gore/death. People like that really do frustrate me as metal is not about that. It's about the passion, the emotion and the long shredtastic solos. As I tell so many people, go get music therapy.
    If you actually *read* my post, you'll see that i'm not stereotyping Metal, i'm just using as an example, comparing it to the stereotyping that *you're* doing!

You don't like people stereotyping metal, then surely you shouldn't stereotype different music yourself?

unless you're a big hypocrite...

ReputationRep:
    The Beatles... tis the variety

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catty)
    I disagree -- I'd consider myself a Smiths fan, but consider the Beatles to be severely overrated. Just my opinion though.
    Yep same here, I would choose the Smiths over the Beatles anyday, I do like some the Beatles stuff and I have their greatest hits 12" LP, I am not saying the Beatles were crap or anything like that, they were just a bit overrated.

But bads that start a new type of music or fashion usualy do end up being over rated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)
    If you actually *read* my post, you'll see that i'm not stereotyping Metal, i'm just using as an example, comparing it to the stereotyping that *you're* doing!

You don't like people stereotyping metal, then surely you shouldn't stereotype different music yourself?

unless you're a big hypocrite...
    I'm not a big hypocrite, I'm a small one. I do listen to the lighter rock that Britain throughs out and I make evaluative judgements from there on. You're correct in suggesting that I shouldn't stereotype other music forms so to avoid that confrontation I state: "I have listened to much lighter rock, and I feel that it is much easier to group light group bands generally under the title of "The" or "NME" bands.

You Metal comment was however too vague. I think your thinking of the likes of Death/Gore Metal, and music aimed to catagories in that general direction.

Metallica = Heavy Metal, Dimmu Borgir = Death Metal (I think)

Now you give genre catagories to The Smiths and Babyshambles (as I have done above for those two bands) and depending on how you answer that I shall decide upon how I answer my questions in the future to avoid the sterotyping that I do; stereotyping of which I believe I can get away with under the circumstances

(Again, hopefully all that is comprehendable)

ReputationRep:
    I cant believe you put Coldplay on there.

I picked Queen although I'd say Radiohead come fairly damn close. Obviously the Beatles will win but I agree that they are massively overrated.

ReputationRep:

You Metal comment was however too vague. I think your thinking of the likes of Death/Gore Metal, and music aimed to catagories in that general direction.

Metallica = Heavy Metal, Dimmu Borgir = Death Metal (I think)
    Once again, you totally miss the point, I was not stereotyping at all, I know that people saying metal music encourages satanisim/murder is completely absurd. Just as absurd as saying artists like Ashanti encourages under-age sex.

Now do you see my point?

As for your other comments, i'd categorize both Babyshambles and The Smiths under 'music' that's all...throwing around all these sub-sub-genres is pointless...i really couldn't care less what genre something is, the only categories i use are "music i like" and "music i dont like"

simple huh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Yep same here, I would choose the Smiths over the Beatles anyday, I do like some the Beatles stuff and I have their greatest hits 12" LP, I am not saying the Beatles were crap or anything like that, they were just a bit overrated.

But bads that start a new type of music or fashion usualy do end up being over rated.
    agreed. I think I'd have to go for Queen though

ReputationRep:
    ive never herd half of those people music

ReputationRep:
    I apologise for not understanding your intial point. I thought it was you making the metal comment. I appreciate what you say about "sub-genres" as I used to think they were not necessary, but now I do. It is now the sub-genres that divide the general metal from the death metal from the nu-metal.

The reason I asked the Smiths/Babyshambles question was because when I stereotype bands (as you say I do), my reasoning for that is that they are all on a smae level, and stereotyping is easier than saying "... such as .... like ...." all in one sentance.

By you not being able to catagorise those two bands, or in fact by putting them in catagories of their own, you must now appreciate why I do sterotype in that way, as it is very difficult to differentiate between the likes of The Libs, Babyshambles, The Strokes etc. etc. hence my sterotyping.

Hopfully I've explained the reasoning why I think it's ok for my attacks on certain music types etc etc. whilst at the same time apologising for my reading mistake earlier on.

ReputationRep:
    I think this stereotyping thing is different for different people, depensing on their music tastes - for example, I wouldn't put The Libertines and The Strokes and The Smiths in one category at all, but would be inclined to lump Iron Maiden, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath together.....it's just all a matter of opinion. In my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Can i just ask what about the beatles people find overrated?

ReputationRep:
    I just think they're hugely overplayed, don't get me wrong, i think they've got some good stuff, but i couldn't continually listen to them without wanting to gouge my own eyes out with a rusty spoon.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.