Turn on thread page Beta

Britains Greatest band.... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catty)
    I think this stereotyping thing is different for different people, depensing on their music tastes - for example, I wouldn't put The Libertines and The Strokes and The Smiths in one category at all, but would be inclined to lump Iron Maiden, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath together.....it's just all a matter of opinion. In my opinion.
    I would class those three metal bands togehter as well and I'm a metal fan (general to heavy metal anyway). That's what I mean about sterotyping. The Libs etc. I would catagorise together and I would like someone to give me a catagory for them, otherwise people shouldn't complain when I stereotype. If someone gives a genre to those bands, then I shall re-think how I **** off music, but as no-one as yet, has put them in different catagories, I see no reason why I cannot sterotype them the way I do normally.

ReputationRep:
    have you listened to their non greatest hits stuff? for example stuff on Rubber Soul/Revolver?

People have every right not to like them, it's all opinion, but to deny that they were the most important band ever, (if not the 'greatest' or 'best' which is all down to personal taste). is silly. More bands than any other take the Beatles as their main influence, From the likes of Black Sabath, to Oasis to The Chemecial Brothers...without the Beatles, alot of your favourite bands probably would've never picked up a guitar.

The only person you could argue ahead of the Beatles with some validity would be Elvis. (Who i personally don't really like, but his influence is undenyable)

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you there. It's like if there was no Beatles, there could be no Tom Morello (I think he said he was inspired by The Beatles) and then I wouldn't play guitar. (I had many other influences but that's an example.)

ReputationRep:
    I have listened to alot of the album stuff, but I just can't relate to it as other appear to be able to. True, they have been very influencial, but if they hadn't formed, there would have been another equally influencial band to appear.

ReputationRep:
    What the ****? Where are Oasis if you've got Coldplay on there? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestdeceptions)
    What the ****? Where are Oasis if you've got Coldplay on there? :confused:
    to be honest, neither of them have any place on that list.

ReputationRep:
    I like at least one or two songs from all the bands in the poll (with the exception of coldplay). If I were only able to choose from the options listed, I would pick Pink Floyd.

I have two favourites, neither of which are on the poll - The Police (although they had an American drummer, so not completely British!!), and Dire Straits

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)
    have you listened to their non greatest hits stuff? for example stuff on Rubber Soul/Revolver?

People have every right not to like them, it's all opinion, but to deny that they were the most important band ever, (if not the 'greatest' or 'best' which is all down to personal taste). is silly. More bands than any other take the Beatles as their main influence, From the likes of Black Sabath, to Oasis to The Chemecial Brothers...without the Beatles, alot of your favourite bands probably would've never picked up a guitar.

The only person you could argue ahead of the Beatles with some validity would be Elvis. (Who i personally don't really like, but his influence is undenyable)
    But then what about Bill Hayley, Cliff Richard etc they were also early pioneers which people tend to forget about, Cliff Richard tends to be dismiised now becuase he's released some awful stuff in the last 20 years, but he was the first British rock and roller . In the late 50's the UK music scene was virtualy all American, Cliff and the Shadows changed that.

As for the Beatles and I don't dendy that they are probably the most important band ever, but as you say the greatest is just another matter. And yes I have listened to some of the Beatles albums as my parents have some of them on 12".

My only arguement is that if the beatles had never existed there probablly would have been another band to take their place, bands like the Rolling Stones might have been regarded better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)
    to be honest, neither of them have any place on that list.
    no, oasis more than coldplay though,

give it 10 years and they'll be up there too.

stone roses were the best british band ever anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    But then what about Bill Hayley, Cliff Richard etc they were also early pioneers which people tend to forget about, Cliff Richard tends to be dismiised now becuase he's released some awful stuff in the last 20 years, but he was the first British rock and roller . In the late 50's the UK music scene was virtualy all American, Cliff and the Shadows changed that.
    While those you mentioned were very important, along with the likes of Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry etc...It was Elvis that pushed this new form of music to the masses. Though it was actually Lonnie Donegan that inspired early versions of the Beatles (The Quarry Men etc) it was Elvis that caused them to change from being a skiffle band to a rock and roll band.

(Original post by AT82)
    My only arguement is that if the beatles had never existed there probablly would have been another band to take their place, bands like the Rolling Stones might have been regarded better.
    You may have a point, and sure, alot of the Beatles success came down to a case of 'right place, right time' but as it turned out, it was only because of the Beatles that British bands such as the Stones, The Who etc got any intrest at all in America.

ReputationRep:
    Queen were pretty good, although I have to go with the Cure on greatest British band, a lot of the bands in the list above are just pretty damn overrated....

ReputationRep:
    it's gotta be the beatles. followed closely by nearly every band on that list. British Bands Rock!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catty)
    I just think they're hugely overplayed, don't get me wrong, i think they've got some good stuff, but i couldn't continually listen to them without wanting to gouge my own eyes out with a rusty spoon.
    You've got such a beautiful way with words Catty

And I think you're right. people go on and on about the Beatles but I wouldnt go out of my way to listen to them. Queen on the other hand I could listen to all day long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clockworkapples)
    You've got such a beautiful way with words Catty

And I think you're right. people go on and on about the Beatles but I wouldnt go out of my way to listen to them. Queen on the other hand I could listen to all day long.
    Wheras I really don't like Queen at all!

opinions, wonderful things aren't they?

ReputationRep:
    Its really sh*t when you just have 10 options...personally i despise coldplay and the smiths...but based the polls on what people had said in other forums...but its good to see such a wide diversity in british music (i'm sure if you do the same thing in america (apart from a couple) everyone would be voting for n*sync and back street boys...
    Also - my choice would be deep purple (you know you love them!), so sadly it cant be perfect for everyone :-(

ReputationRep:
    This was voted for on BBC Radio 1 the other day and The Stone Roses won. I would also vote for them. Hence my 'other' vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    i'm sure if you do the same thing in america (apart from a couple) everyone would be voting for n*sync and back street boys...
    Thats a bit unfair dont you think? They arent a different species you know! Lots of good music has come out of america. Lots of trash too but may I remind you that we brits are responsible for such train wrecks as Wet Wet Wet (who stayed at number 1 in the charts for what, 16 weeks) and Girls Aloud. This is also a nation that allowed Mr Blobby to get to No1. Hang your heads in shame!

ReputationRep:
    Girls Aloud are great, shut up you.

ReputationRep:
    crazy frog....

ReputationRep:
    Isnt crazy frog by some European guy?

And I apologise deeply for any offence caused to Girls Aloud fans. Even I will admit to the injustice of putting them with Wet Wet Wet. They do have some jaunty little tunes.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.