Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    so i get EMA and walk to school. What exactly is your point? I could take the bus to school (i live 45mins away) but walk , it saves me money.
    soulsussed mentions "no reward" , you have a home , you are doing A-levels. Theres your reward. Go to closer college if transport is that big a strain but for gods sake stop complaining. If your life was hard and you couldn't afford to eat i could get what your saying. But i don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizzyLizzy)
    so i get EMA and walk to school. What exactly is your point? I could take the bus to school (i live 45mins away) but walk , it saves me money.
    soulsussed mentions "no reward" , you have a home , you are doing A-levels. Theres your reward. Go to closer college if transport is that big a strain but for gods sake stop complaining. If your life was hard and you couldn't afford to eat i could get what your saying. But i don't.
    People who get the ema can afford to eat. I'm not complaining because I am not getting it, [email protected] complaining about the injustice of the system. If people genuinly need it then its a good contribution to them and I am totally for it but its when people are spending it on shoes and outings when it annoys me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulsussed)
    Have you just predicted my parents income? - if you have then you're wrong. The point is that people who are getting the ema DONT NEED IT. And it is annoying that people are spending money from hard working people like my parents so that students can spend the money where they don't need to. That's my point, it should be in the form of vouchers or bus tickets and should be gien to those who relly need it; not a quarter of the f**king 6th form. And I'm from a nice area!!
    well done i countered ur points so u decided to rant.......

ppl tht get EMA do need it, and a quarter of the UK dnt get £30, they get about ten or 20 mostly if u have a income of below 17,000 u get 30.........in which case it would be very useful to have it u d*mass

so ur parents are hardworking so are many others just because they dnt earn as much doesn't mean they dont work hard??/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiggaman7)
    so ur parents are hardworking so are many others just because they dnt earn as much doesn't mean they dont work hard??/
    Yes. Either that or they didn't work as hard at school.

ReputationRep:
    I can see alot of the people who recieve the ema who don't need it. As was said before there are people with incomes from fathers that the goverment doesn't take account of. I think the EMA is positive to those who need it, don't get me wrong, [email protected] not saying slash the EMA, just change the way its regulated so that its not undermined and abused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulsussed)
    it should be in the form of vouchers or bus tickets
    It certianly should.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    It certianly should.
    Phew, someone who agrees!!

ReputationRep:
    It certianly should.
    vouchers or bus tickets...........

EMA is meant to persuade people to stay on to sixth form.............if your stupid enough to believe that vouchers and bus tickets will have the same effect as money as an incentive i feel sorry for you

ReputationRep:
    vouchers or bus tickets...........

EMA is meant to persuade people to stay on to sixth form.............if your stupid enough to believe that vouchers and bus tickets will have the same effect as money as an incentive i feel sorry for you
    The whole point is that PEOPLE SHOULD NOT NEED TO BE PERSUADED TO STAY ON FOR SIXTH FORM. If they want to learn, they should. Money should not be thrown at them to change their minds. What's the good of them being "persuaded" to go to sixth form, when they don't really want to be there - they are wasting their time, their tutors' time and the time of all those students around them who went to sixth from, not because they were persuaded to by EMA, but because they WANTED TO LEARN.

ReputationRep:
    The whole point is that PEOPLE SHOULD NOT NEED TO BE PERSUADED TO STAY ON FOR SIXTH FORM. If they want to learn, they should. Money should not be thrown at them to change their minds. What's the good of them being "persuaded" to go to sixth form, when they don't really want to be there - they are wasting their time, their tutors' time and the time of all those students around them who went to sixth from, not because they were persuaded to by EMA, but because they WANTED TO LEARN.
    what do you think that most people on EMA will go into sixth form fail and come staright back out and not go to uni? well quite a few may but many dont....if you are unsure whether to carry on studying or go into work..because university is expensive than this money may help you make that decision....for some it may just be an added help because they would have gone to sixth form...many people may use it to save up for university,may use it to pay for transport to get to school, may give it to their parents, they may even use it to pay for driving lessons and test which their parents cant afford to pay for and because they dont work but are in study they only have this money.....
    the govt obviously wants a more skilled workforce than is currently present and with EMA many more people will have A-levels and may even go onto do degrees afterwards(not all underpriveleged people are drug-using binge drinkers just so you know)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizzyLizzy)
    "
    IN MY EXPERIENCE (this is not me being snobbish) the EMA students in my college go in of a mourning, get there form side and do bugger all, all day! they literally go to each lesson and then talk the whole way through it "

How can you say something so completely naive and stupid. Making generalisations by the students at your college alone is not fair. Do you think i don't go to college and do my best to learn and "better myself" as you eloquently put it? can you honestly say that you never talk in lessons. Ever? Its not fair. deal with it. your praise as you put it is getting your grades. Frankly people like yourself who have to rant on using phrases such as "wtf" and "piss take" clearly do not value their own education enough to get on with it.

You may or may not of meant it but i think you cannot be so damn general from our experiance of EMA students. Christ , you make them sound like some sort of lower breed and it does sound snobbish.

so crazylass resconsider your comments before offending people please.
    well im entitled to my opinion. how can you call my comment naive and stupid. i come from a bad area in london, i have to try very hard to keep myself going in college. about 90% of my college get EMA and I am the one who has to sit there everyday listening to these people interupting my learning. yes everyone talks from time to time but this is constantly to the point my teacher breaks down and cries becasue no one is listening to her and I AM TRYING TO LEARN! Ema was created to try and encourage people to continue to learn. how is it encouraging them to learn when they struggle to get into an A-level class in the first place and when they are there do nothing for themselves but disrupt my learning in the process. it would be extremly ignorant of me to generalise the whole of the UK EMA claimers. i can only talk from experience, and my experience is that the EMA claimers of my college bring disruption. i have actually head them say it for themselves...they only come for the money. some of them sat in the recent exams and slept because they dont want qualifications THEY WANT MONEY!!!!!

i am entitled to my opinion and my opinion (based on my perceptions from my college) is that EMA is a waste of money, the system is corrupt! i am not against money being given to those "deserving" cases but the governement needs to address this issue. as previous members have said...why isnt the money given directly to the school to buy books etc or the money come in the form of vouchers so it cannot be abused by buying 'shoes' for example!

this issue sticks very close to my heart. just because my parents get "X" amount of money does not mean i too have the means to support myself. this view is not because i do not recieve EMA...this view is because i do not like to see injustice. i have the same outlay of travel costs and revision books as every other student has afterall.

i apologise if my language previously offended anyone but i do get very angry and it was a little outburst which perhaps should have stayed inside me :p:

i am one of the hardest working students in my college who against all odds has worked so hard that i can achieve good grades. i do not appreciate having such an education disrupted by people who would rather not be in the class. surely this is not fair on me (and this is what i mean by a division in my classes)

i repeat the fact that i am not against EMA payments completly being stopped. just that i wish i could have a fair education like everyone deserves that is not destroyed by people who dont want to go to college. i think if anything is unfair it is this!!!

ReputationRep:
    I get EMA (£30 pw) and I would have stayed on at school anyway. Half goes on transport and half goes on anything else I need. My mum has a full-time job and is raising my sister more or less single-handed (my dad lives with us, but he picks my sister up from school and cooks the tea and that is it). My EMA means that I don't have to ask my mum for money every time I need something, taking some of the pressure off her.

My mum doesn't earn very much because she has few qualifications. This is because she didn't have the opportunity to take A levels because her parents forced her to get a job at 16 and give them all her wages to help with the bills (she left home at 17). She left school with 3 O-levels, now has two more GCSEs and two A-levels in English (A) and Business Studies (C) from studying at night school.

My dad's pension is far more unfair than my EMA. He recieves £100 per week, give £40 to my mum to help with the bills, spends about £5 on groceries and the other £55 on alcohol and cigarettes. For eight years until he got his pension he lived entirely off my mum, forcing her to pay thousands of pounds to support his addictions. Apparently my dad automatically needs £100 a week because he is over 65 - can you explain how this is any different to saying that 16-18 year olds at college with a family income below £17,500 pa need £30 a week? Within my family, I know as many people who abuse their pensions as people who abuse their EMA.

ReputationRep:
    Crazylass - I really feel for you and I think your story is one excellent example (of many) which show that EMA is not working. As I was saying earlier, these students are wasting your time and your teachers time if they keep interrupting your lessons and at the end of the day they are taking away your learning experience, which nobody should have the right to do. EMA is causing this, where's the good in that?

(Original post by crazylass)
    they only come for the money. some of them sat in the recent exams and slept because they dont want qualifications THEY WANT MONEY!!!!!
    That's the bottom line, and although it doesn't apply to everyone it is still happening and shouldn't be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylass)
    well im entitled to my opinion. how can you call my comment naive and stupid. i come from a bad area in london, i have to try very hard to keep myself going in college. about 90% of my college get EMA and I am the one who has to sit there everyday listening to these people interupting my learning. yes everyone talks from time to time but this is constantly to the point my teacher breaks down and cries becasue no one is listening to her and I AM TRYING TO LEARN! Ema was created to try and encourage people to continue to learn. how is it encouraging them to learn when they struggle to get into an A-level class in the first place and when they are there do nothing for themselves but disrupt my learning in the process. it would be extremly ignorant of me to generalise the whole of the UK EMA claimers. i can only talk from experience, and my experience is that the EMA claimers of my college bring disruption. i have actually head them say it for themselves...they only come for the money. some of them sat in the recent exams and slept because they dont want qualifications THEY WANT MONEY!!!!!

i am entitled to my opinion and my opinion (based on my perceptions from my college) is that EMA is a waste of money, the system is corrupt! i am not against money being given to those "deserving" cases but the governement needs to address this issue. as previous members have said...why isnt the money given directly to the school to buy books etc or the money come in the form of vouchers so it cannot be abused by buying 'shoes' for example!

this issue sticks very close to my heart. just because my parents get "X" amount of money does not mean i too have the means to support myself. this view is not because i do not recieve EMA...this view is because i do not like to see injustice. i have the same outlay of travel costs and revision books as every other student has afterall.

i apologise if my language previously offended anyone but i do get very angry and it was a little outburst which perhaps should have stayed inside me :p:

i am one of the hardest working students in my college who against all odds has worked so hard that i can achieve good grades. i do not appreciate having such an education disrupted by people who would rather not be in the class. surely this is not fair on me (and this is what i mean by a division in my classes)

i repeat the fact that i am not against EMA payments completly being stopped. just that i wish i could have a fair education like everyone deserves that is not destroyed by people who dont want to go to college. i think if anything is unfair it is this!!!
    Well i feel very bad for you...how many people are there who disrupt your class.....

...not many people are so lazy and scrounging that theyl go to sixth form just for EMA...they may as well get job doing nothing at a shop and get more than that a day!!!!!!!!!

most people who go to sixth form learn as well and the money is just an extra added help/incentive to make the decision of shall i study on or start earning now

ReputationRep:
    what do you think that most people on EMA will go into sixth form fail and come staright back out and not go to uni?
    You're the one who said they needed EMA as a form of persuasion (i.e cash), rather than as a necessity (i.e educational materials/transportation). If they need to be persuaded, they clearly don't want to be there and learn (and thus go to unviersity).

ReputationRep:
    what do you think that most people on EMA will go into sixth form fail and come staright back out and not go to uni? well quite a few may but many dont....if you are unsure whether to carry on studying or go into work..because university is expensive than this money may help you make that decision....for some it may just be an added help because they would have gone to sixth form...many people may use it to save up for university,may use it to pay for transport to get to school, may give it to their parents, they may even use it to pay for driving lessons and test which their parents cant afford to pay for and because they dont work but are in study they only have this money.....
    the govt obviously wants a more skilled workforce than is currently present and with EMA many more people will have A-levels and may even go onto do degrees afterwards(not all underpriveleged people are drug-using binge drinkers just so you know)
    I wasn't saying it was underprivilaged people were drug using. I said alot of people smoke and the EMA could be going to support this habit - and I didn't say it was underprivilaged because there are some people who aren't that underprivilaged recieving ema (don't get me wrong!! alot of them are)

Also, it is one thing to have our education paid for us, it is another to pay people to use it, which is agreeing with seaspray.

ReputationRep:
    with EMA many more people will have A-levels and may even go onto do degrees afterwards
    Good for them :rolleyes: So they god-damn should after being paid to learn.

ReputationRep:
    You're the one who said they needed EMA as a form of persuasion (i.e cash), rather than as a necessity (i.e educational materials/transportation).
    no i said it was persuasion yes..not just for cash...

it gives an incentive to some to stay on in school and have their transport, book,lunch costs paid for them instead of thinking well i might as well go staright into earning money in a full time job......

the persuasion and transport costs,book costs are therefore linked......

and for the amount of people who abuse the system, there are many times more people not absuing the system as with any system of this kind

ReputationRep:
    Oh and I am being discriminative either - I do not discriminate against ema people and stereotype them either. I don't do this to any group of society so there would be no way I would suggest 'all underprivilaged people are drug using binge drinkers'.

ReputationRep:
    Good for them :rolleyes: So they god-damn should after being paid to learn.
    wow thats a really awesome comeback...very relevant and im glad you only quoted half the sentence..because the point i made was very valid...although you woudlnt understand the need to have a more skilled workforce to compete globally because as i remember that wouldnt leave to many people to pick up your rubbish weekly would it

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.