Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiggaman7)
    it gives an incentive to some to stay on in school and have their transport, book,lunch costs paid for
    Make your mind up! What difference does it make if the EMA provides their transport (i.e bus voucher), books and lunch costs instead of giving them the cash for them to do it themselves?!

ReputationRep:
    EMA is meant to persuade people to stay on to sixth form.............if your stupid enough to believe that vouchers and bus tickets will have the same effect as money as an incentive i feel sorry for you
    This was taken from the EMA website

EMA is a weekly payment of £10, £20 or £30 a week depending on your household income. The money is intended to help with the day-to-day costs when you stay on at school or college – such as travel, books and equipment for your course.
    With that said, I will not be against EMA until they put it up to £75 a week which would be completly unfair and giving poor students more than I could possibly get with a part time job wthout affecting my education simply by turning up

ReputationRep:
    no i said it was persuasion yes..not just for cash...

it gives an incentive to some to stay on in school and have their transport, book,lunch costs paid for them instead of thinking well i might as well go staright into earning money in a full time job......

the persuasion and transport costs,book costs are therefore linked......

and for the amount of people who abuse the system, there are many times more people not absuing the system as with any system of this kind
    I think that it set up to be abused to honest. It's either meant to be this way - so good for the goverment in some strange way or it needs seriously looking at. This system is the most open benefits system I've ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulsussed)
    Oh and I am being discriminative either - I do not discriminate against ema people and stereotype them either. I don't do this to any group of society so there would be no way I would suggest 'all underprivilaged people are drug using binge drinkers'.
    no that comment was to seaspray...she said earlier that
    " people will end up maybe spending the money on ****/alcohol or even worse drugs "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulsussed)
    I think that it set up to be abused to honest. It's either meant to be this way - so good for the goverment in some strange way or it needs seriously looking at. This system is the most open benefits system I've ever seen.
    the benefits for incapacity or constant sick pay aren't more open than EMA?
    I think you'll find they are much more open

ReputationRep:
    Get your facts right. I said "But for millions I expect it will be wasted on luxury goods (if not something worse like drugs/alcohol)". I never implied everybody would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyopstv)
    This was taken from the EMA website

With that said, I will not be against EMA until they put it up to £75 a week which would be completly unfair and giving poor students more than I could possibly get with a part time job wthout affecting my education simply by turning up
    whats the point in your post at all...somebody suggested using vouchers instead of money and i said it was much more unlikely to act as an incentive as cash....

ReputationRep:
    But it is not supposed to be an incentive it is supposed to

help with the day-to-day costs when you stay on at school or college

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the quote! Jiggaman - your "incentive"/"persuasion" idea even had me for a while!

ReputationRep:
    Well i feel very bad for you...how many people are there who disrupt your class.....

...not many people are so lazy and scrounging that theyl go to sixth form just for EMA...they may as well get job doing nothing at a shop and get more than that a day!!!!!!!!!

most people who go to sixth form learn as well and the money is just an extra added help/incentive to make the decision of shall i study on or start earning now
    well if you are to take my typical economics class then i would say about 12/16 people disrupt the class. this makes it impossible to teach and learn for that matter. it means i have to do extra study at home but this is never as good as class time with the teacher at hand. i just feel if EMA was not in place then they would not bother to come to school and would be out at work which would improve my quality of learning...is this not a unreasonable view is it (AGAIN I AM NOT SAYING ALL EMA RECIEVERS ARE LIKE THIS>>>JUST SHARING MY EXPERIENCE)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylass)
    (AGAIN I AM NOT SAYING ALL EMA RECIEVERS ARE LIKE THIS>>>JUST SHARING MY EXPERIENCE)
    Well done for putting in the disclaimer. Jiggaman would have been furious if he thought you were generalising EMA receivers :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    Well done for putting in the disclaimer. Jiggaman would have been furious if he thought you were generalising EMA receivers :rolleyes:
    no she has said many times this is an indivdual case and i accept that and feel for her...u on the other hand have generailised so much and all negatively and the worst bit....you are at a private school in berkshire where noone has EMA and you have admitted to not knowing that many people who can claim EMA

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the quote! Jiggaman - your "incentive"/"persuasion" idea even had me for a while!
    what?
    u are proud of that quote?

ReputationRep:
    what?
    u are proud of that quote?
    No, it simply shows that your idea of the EMA's sole aim as being as an incentive to be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    the worst bit....you are at a private school in berkshire where noone has EMA and you have admitted to not knowing that many people who can claim EMA
    Your point? What's your problem with how I am educated? That has noting to do with the distribution of EMA. Okay, it may affect my opinion, but then your background affects your opinion too.

ReputationRep:
    Get your facts right. I said "But for millions I expect it will be wasted on luxury goods (if not something worse like drugs/alcohol)". I never implied everybody would.
    I don't think "millions" get EMA anyway. In all 11 pages, haven't seen any hard facts and figures to show how many people get EMA, how many get 30,20,10, and then you can formulate your opinions. At the moment, its all speculation. To be honest, you should all be complaining about the benefits system which is being abused big time and on a much bigger scale than EMA. The bottom line is, cheats will find everyway to abuse any system, because every system has some kind of loophole and you will be sure that the cheats will find it. That does not mean that the scheme is worthless or that those who receive benefits or EMA are all "scum". And just because people earn 30,001 doesn't mean they have Mercs and swimming pools, but as someone pointed out earlier, there has to be a cutoff point for the scheme. As for those of you who think other people should be sweeping the streets and cleaning the toilets, get off your high horses. If people were more responsible for themselves and put their litter in the bins and left the toilet the way they would like it to be found, then we wouldn't need people cleaning it. I'd love those people who think others should clean up after them to be forced into it to see how it feels like. I agree that the government's targets of 50% going to university is ridicuolous but I do agree that everyone should be on level playing field should they want to go to university regardless of their background or what kind of school they went to. I applaud the government's efforts in going someway in achieving that and it does have its flaws, but nobody is perfect.

Sorry for the long post, but peace out guys - no need for generalisations from either sides.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Either that or they didn't work as hard at school.
    I really feel for your parents, spending so much money on a private education for you when you can't even grasp the simple concept that just because someone earns less than £30k a year, it does not mean they're lazy, they're on benefits or they lack qualifications! No matter how many times I attempt to point that out to you, you just can't seem to take it in. Can you offer anything constructive to this thread, or just offensive, unfair generalisations about people you know nothing about?

ReputationRep:
    No, it simply shows that your idea of the EMA's sole aim as being as an incentive to be wrong.
    I agree, it should be there to help, not as 'persuasion'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I really feel for your parents, spending so much money on a private education for you when you can't even grasp the simple concept that just because someone earns less than £30k a year, it does not mean they're lazy, they're on benefits or they lack qualifications! No matter how many times I attempt to point that out to you, you just can't seem to take it in. Can you offer anything constructive to this thread, or just offensive, unfair generalisations about people you know nothing about?
    These two quotes sum up the attitude:
    "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't force it to drink"
    "There is enough light for he who wishes to see"

There's only so much you can do.

ReputationRep:
    well what do you want the government to say.....

" EMA is a new benefits system to help keep people in school so that we dont lag much further behind the rest of Europe in basic qualifications levels as we already do"

and that quote does show that it is an incenive to stay in school

if you cant afford to get to school every day or afford textbooks(you wouldnt know about this its only in state schools that you have to pay sometimes for textbooks) then this money is an incentive for you to go to school and not worry about that aspect of learning....and its not the first time i've seen it its in every EMA leaflet i've had...

and the quote i was talking about was ur drug and alcohol one

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.