Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I received EMA last year but didn't get it this year so i've had to do zombie work at a local supermarket.
    One of the cretins I work with is retaking his GCSEs and freely admitted to me that he spends most of the money in the pub, at dinner time or after college.
    I think the conditions for EMA need to be linked to grades, rather than stipulations such as 'attend all lessons' which don't show how much effort you're putting in. You shouldn't need to be getting straight As to get EMA but you should at least be getting grade C or above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    I received EMA last year but didn't get it this year so i've had to do zombie work at a local supermarket.
    One of the cretins I work with is retaking his GCSEs and freely admitted to me that he spends most of the money in the pub, at dinner time or after college.
    I think the conditions for EMA need to be linked to grades, rather than stipulations such as 'attend all lessons' which don't show how much effort you're putting in. You shouldn't need to be getting straight As to get EMA but you should at least be getting grade C or above.
    I think there is some merit in that, be predicted/working towards a minimum of a C to qualify. Best post in the 13 pages of waste that I can't believe I trawled through. Have just given out rep, so I'll give it to you when I can

ReputationRep:
    There we go, a sensible post :congrats:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know when The EMA bonus gets paid? =)

ReputationRep:
    The EMA bonuses get paid in urmmm.... july and possibly near christmas.. i forget...but there £100 and thats nothing to be sniffed at.

Excellent post by GAZ013 btw

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the neg rep seaspray

A bonus?! How absolutely ridiculous and ludicrous! :mad: What a waste of money - I could understand £30pw vouchers for travel, stationary, textbooks and so forth, but not just "cash-in-hand", and now a cash bonus of £100! I am sure that will be used for educational purposes. :rolleyes: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phillipsm)
    A bonus?! How absolutely ridiculous and ludicrous! :mad: What a waste of money - I could understand £30pw vouchers for travel, stationary, textbooks and so forth, but not just "cash-in-hand", and now a cash bonus of £100! I am sure that will be used for educational purposes. :rolleyes: :mad:
    no the bonus is given if you are in school for a large percentage of weeks and if you hit the targets set by your teachers at the start of the year.....

ReputationRep:
    yeh our school do it kinda this way themselves, becoz head of sixth form has to do the list each week to confirm who is getting it that week, and if he feels that someone is sliding in a subject, he will simply not give them their ema for that week.

(Original post by jiggaman7)
    no the bonus is given if you are in school for a large percentage of weeks and if you hit the targets set by your teachers at the start of the year.....
    Its not hard to be in school for a "large percentage" of the time. And in that case, predicted grades should at least be A/B!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phillipsm)
    Its not hard to be in school for a "large percentage" of the time.
    Why should it have to be difficult? The point is to encourage people to attend, not make their lives hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Why should it have to be difficult? The point is to encourage people to attend.
    Exactly- if it's too difficult, people won't be encouraged to do it!

ReputationRep:
    The EMA is for cheapskate common scum. I save the UK government £7000 every year by going to an independent school; if anyone should be getting grants, it's people like me who work hard and go to independent schools, yet here the government is, thowing away decent taxpayers' money so that Joe Common can do his BTEC or GNVQ before going on the dole: John Redwood will deal with this when he becomes the next Conservative leader; JOHN REDWOOD FOR PRIME MINISTER!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daaavo)
    The EMA is for cheapskate common scum. I save the UK government £7000 every year by going to an independent school; if anyone should be getting grants, it's people like me who work hard and go to independent schools, yet here the government is, thowing away decent taxpayers' money so that Joe Common can do his BTEC or GNVQ before going on the dole: John Redwood will deal with this when he becomes the next Conservative leader; JOHN REDWOOD FOR PRIME MINISTER!!!
    Excellent post. I agree with you. (Although, I wouldn't say all EMA claimers are "cheapskate common scum").

PS - Jiggaman, grow up and stop accusing me. I never gave you a "neg rep".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    Excellent post. I agree with you. (Although, I wouldn't say all EMA claimers are "cheapskate common scum").

PS - Jiggaman, grow up and stop accusing me. I never gave you a "neg rep".
    Thank you very much - at least someone else has got their head screwed on on this board.

ReputationRep:
    Maggie Thatcher (St. Maggie) wouldn't have doled out EMA grants when she was in power - she's have put these sorts of people back where they belong... down the mines.

ReputationRep:
    sorry... she'd

ReputationRep:
    I think I know why many people have this negative idea about people from public schools now. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    I think I know why many people have this negative idea about people from public schools now. :rolleyes:
    Now, Madam 'No Future', the 'negative image' to which you refer is simply due to jealousy towards the upper classes, stemming from the lower, working classes. We people from independent schools are not 'toffs', but in fact rather agreeable people.

ReputationRep:
    Why should snobby stuck-up scum like you get any more money than you already have? The idea of EMA is to encourage people from less well-off background who have actually had to work hard for their grades rather than just buying them to stay on at school. Of course, you wouldn't know anyone on EMA, but the majority of them do A-levels and go on to university or full-time jobs afterwards, not the dole.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.