Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daaavo)
    Listen girl,
    I did not 'buy' my grades. I worked hard for them; a damn side harder than you will ever work in your life. (mind you, you probably think that watching Trisha is hard work).
    There's no need to be so condescending...I agree, you did not buy your grades. You worked hard and money cannot buy grades. The fact that someone is less affluent does not necessarily mean they do not work hard. Wealth is not always indicative of effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Oh trust me, the feeling's mutual. God, and you people wonder why private school students have a reputation for being stuck-up snobs!
    Well, I'd never encountered comments like that before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Well, I'd never encountered comments like that before.
    No, I imagine the majority of indepedent school students are fine, but sadly a few idiots like Daavo and Seaspray ruin it for the rest of you.

(Original post by No Future)
    Why should it have to be difficult? The point is to encourage people to attend, not make their lives hard.
    Why do academically minded, able students need to be encouraged to attend?

FYI, both "spongers" and "toffs" annoy me. I associate with many members of the old, traditional upper class, all of whom have a sense of duty, tradition and responsibility for others. Typical noblesse oblige. Unfortunately many members of today's upper class (especially younger members) lack any of these qualities. Therein, the working class are just as bad - they have no sense of (personal) responsibility, and no sense of of their obligations to society either. And there is a growing underclass as a result.

ReputationRep:
    its a stupid idea, i cant stand it, i dont get it, but my mom n dad cant afford to give me 30 quid a week so i ata struggle with my job n still try and get AAB for uni. They shud give it everyone or not atall, its just to encourage the scroungers on the dole to get their just as scroungy kids back at skool. It doesnt work, they just spend it on getting drunk and clothes. I get nothing and work my arse off. My mate whos daddy bought her a car and insurnace gets 30 quid a week! wheres the sense in that when my mom n dad cant afford to get me a car. Its discrimination and tony blairs full of crap when he says hes getting rid of class, cus an idiotic scheme like that just encourages it. Im livid when my friends get 100 quid bonuses for doing their exams! wat about me iv done mine, i get jack. Its quite annoying for us who dont get it.

ReputationRep:
    can i just point out, that the arguments in this post have just highlighted the division that this ema is causing. We have the people who dont get it calling them scroungers, and the people that do get it calling the others snobs. If noone got it, noone would feel the need to call people scroungers/snobs. Its causing more hassel than good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wednesburywench)
    I get nothing and work my arse off.
    That's a key issue, I agree. At the end of the day, just because are parents make a good living and have decent jobs, it does not mean we do not work hard at school to attain good grades.

ReputationRep:
    can i just point out, that the arguments in this post have just highlighted the division that this ema is causing. We have the people who dont get it calling them scroungers, and the people that do get it calling the others snobs. If noone got it, noone would feel the need to call people scroungers/snobs. Its causing more hassel than good.
    Nobody or everybody - that's how it should be.

ReputationRep:
    agree totally, 6th form isnt about whether your parents earn or not, its about whether or not you wana do A levels. money shud not be a factor. It costs nothing to go to 6th form, apart from maybe a bit of travel and a couple of pens?! certainly not 30 quid PER week, which they r on about raising to 70!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    It doesnt work, they just spend it on getting drunk and clothes.
    Comments like that do not help your argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Comments like that do not help your argument.
    Comments like that don't particularly help yours :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phillipsm)
    Its not hard to be in school for a "large percentage" of the time. And in that case, predicted grades should at least be A/B!
    Getting A/B grades is not easy for a lot of people. I'm not saying I'm agreeing with the EMA, but I don't think that it should be linked to grades, simply because grades aren't indicative of the amount of work put in. For instance, I and two of my best friends take chemistry. I, and one of the friends, do a moderate amount of work, about the same each. I'm predicted A, he's predicted E. And another friend is predicted a C, yet she works incredibly hard for that. So linking the EMA to grades would be unfair on those who work really hard, but are simply not as academic as others.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone actually know anybody who would not have entered post 16 study without ema????

(Original post by absentmindedone)
    Getting A/B grades is not easy for a lot of people. I'm not saying I'm agreeing with the EMA, but I don't think that it should be linked to grades, simply because grades aren't indicative of the amount of work put in. For instance, I and two of my best friends take chemistry. I, and one of the friends, do a moderate amount of work, about the same each. I'm predicted A, he's predicted E. And another friend is predicted a C, yet she works incredibly hard for that. So linking the EMA to grades would be unfair on those who work really hard, but are simply not as academic as others.
    How about a C grade then? - below a D, and of what worth are qualifications in all honesty?

(Original post by laura789)
    does anyone actually know anybody who would not have entered post 16 study without ema????
    I entered post-16 study, I was never eligible, and will never be eligible for EMA - what's your point?

If you are referring to those who qualify, I know of a few...they don't care at all about their A-Levels - it's one big "doss" to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura789)
    I don't. All the people who I know get EMA at my college come here so they won't have low paid jobs like their parents and can hopefully have a better standard of living than they currently have

ReputationRep:
    its a stupid idea, i cant stand it, i dont get it, but my mom n dad cant afford to give me 30 quid a week so i ata struggle with my job n still try and get AAB for uni. They shud give it everyone or not atall, its just to encourage the scroungers on the dole to get their just as scroungy kids back at skool. It doesnt work, they just spend it on getting drunk and clothes. I get nothing and work my arse off. My mate whos daddy bought her a car and insurnace gets 30 quid a week! wheres the sense in that when my mom n dad cant afford to get me a car. Its discrimination and tony blairs full of crap when he says hes getting rid of class, cus an idiotic scheme like that just encourages it. Im livid when my friends get 100 quid bonuses for doing their exams! wat about me iv done mine, i get jack. Its quite annoying for us who dont get it.
    Making stupid generalisations really doesn't help your case; my parents are not scroungers on the dole, they both work and work damn hard. All the money I get from EMA is saved for uni or spent on things I need for school; I never buy clothes and I don't drink. Just because you're bitter about not getting EMA doesn't mean you can **** off everyone who does get it. Something I don't understand is that all you lot who don't get it are saying that you shouldn't bribe people to go to school and they should go because they want to, which is fair enough, but then you start whingeing about getting no reward for working hard and doing exams. Make your mind up! Surely the same concept applies to you- you should do those things because you want to, not because you get paid for it.

(Original post by kellywood_5)
    Making stupid generalisations really doesn't help your case; my parents are not scroungers on the dole, they both work and work damn hard. All the money I get from EMA is saved for uni or spent on things I need for school; I never buy clothes and I don't drink. Just because you're bitter about not getting EMA doesn't mean you can **** off everyone who does get it. Something I don't understand is that all you lot who don't get it are saying that you shouldn't bribe people to go to school and they should go because they want to, which is fair enough, but then you start whingeing about getting no reward for working hard and doing exams. Make your mind up! Surely the same concept applies to you- you should do those things because you want to, not because you get paid for it.
    I am not whinging about getting, as you put it, "no reward". Good grades and a place at a top, prestigious university, on a top, presitigious course are "reward" enough. You are the one's out for a reward: why do you want more of a reward than good grades? Money does not achieve good grades; it does not prevent disruption in class by unruly pupils and so forth, it doesn't motivate people to work hard, only attend. And by classifying EMA as a "reward" you make more of our case - it should be reserved as a 'prize' for high achieving students. What we are 'whinging' (making a point about) is the unequal, and therefore unfair nature of, the system. For example, most middle class parents can afford to pay for university, or travel to school, or text books, but cumulatively it also hits them hard.

ReputationRep:
    i mucked up the quote thingy but it was replying to someone who asked me what my point was (see above a few posts)

my point is (excuse the repeat word)...whats the point of it as most people who stay on will stay on regardless of the ema or not. sure its appealing and handy to have for some people but i seriously doubt it truly acts as the only incentive to stay on

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.