Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    Exactly. The whole "point" of EMA is to encourage students from lower-income background to work hard at school to get a good job. However, their parents, who can claim this money for them, contradict the whole point and show that staying at home or not working hard at school can allow you to claim extra cash for your children, on top of the rediculously high amount of benefits already being thrown at them.

No, I am not "jealous" that I'm not receiving the money. In fact, I couldn't care less. But my point is that just because some persons parents have worked hard for a good living, it does not mean their children also benefit from that income.

For some, the payment may help with books/transport etc. But for millions I expect it will be wasted on luxury goods (if not something worse like drugs/alcohol).

:mad:
    in bold:doesnt really make sense

and if your parents have worked hard for a living what financial incentive dyu need to stay at school??
    and yes all people from poor backgrounds abuse the money and are druggies

ReputationRep:
    I was basically saying that being spoon-fed £30 a week shows these students who are "aiming higher" that they shouldn't bother, as they too will be able to claim the EMA (+ lots of other benefits) on behalf of their own children when they are older if they just stay in a low-paid job with few qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. The whole "point" of EMA is to encourage students from lower-income background to work hard at school to get a good job. However, their parents, who can claim this money for them, contradict the whole point and show that staying at home or not working hard at school can allow you to claim extra cash for your children, on top of the rediculously high amount of benefits already being thrown at them.

No, I am not "jealous" that I'm not receiving the money. In fact, I couldn't care less. But my point is that just because some persons parents have worked hard for a good living, it does not mean their children also benefit from that income.

For some, the payment may help with books/transport etc. But for millions I expect it will be wasted on luxury goods (if not something worse like drugs/alcohol).

:mad:
    What is this stereotype that everyone who receives EMA has lazy parents who dossed about at school and stay at home all day? In my case at least, and I'm sure plenty of others, it's completely untrue. My parents work really hard for the money they earn and they didn't slack off at school either. I save all the money I get from EMA to go towards the cost of university, except when I have to buy books and stationery. I expect some people do spend the money on things like alcohol and drugs, but with every system, you'll always get some people who abuse it. That doesn't mean you should scrap the whole system. Why should those who genuinely deserve and benefit from EMA be denied it because of a small minority who misuse it?

ReputationRep:
    I was basically saying that being spoon-fed £30 a week shows these students who are "aiming higher" that they shouldn't bother, as they too will be able to claim the EMA (+ lots of other benefits) on behalf of their own children when they are older if they just stay in a low-paid job with few qualifications.
    that may be the stupidest thing i've ever heard.....theres no incentive for anyone to not work hard in the future for an extra £30 quid a week for two years 17 years after your child is born........total BS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    That doesn't mean you should scrap the whole system. Why should those who genuinely deserve and benefit from EMA be denied it because of a small minority who misuse it?
    No, it doesn't mean you should scrap the whole system. What it does mean is that the system should be re-thought, and the money should be given to individual schools instead, who can purchase these "educational necessities" on behalf of their EMA-claiming students. Any left over cash can be used to improve the teaching areas/facilities for everyone's benefit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiggaman7)
    or maybe as in my friends cases their fathers, the main breadwinner has died or run off leaving the mother alone...

...but i wouldnt expect people with swimmings pools in their houses to understand
    oh how id love to have a swimming pool in my house

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Jax_)
    oh how id love to have a swimming pool in my house
    ask "daddy"....bug him and he'll get you one

ReputationRep:
    I expect some people do spend the money on things like alcohol and drugs, but with every system, you'll always get some people who abuse it. That doesn't mean you should scrap the whole system. Why should those who genuinely deserve and benefit from EMA be denied it because of a small minority who misuse it?
    To me the problem is that the vast majority of people i know who get it, abuse it - it's the minority that use it properly. That's why i feel it should be scrapped. If the money was put to good use, then you wouldn't need to give it out to people because schools and unis would be properly resourced - you then wouldn't need to buy books - and as for stationary - dunno about anyone else, but i reckon i've spent about £15 on paper pens pencils etc this year - that'd average at 4p per day - it's not gonna break the bank...

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    ok fair to say that EMA has definitely benefited many this year. however, its aimed at those who's families earn below that amount.... what about those who are not well off- but don't earn within the EMA range????

ReputationRep:
    er right then. 30,000 does not buy you a millionaire lifestyle thankyou very much. a swimming pool wouldn't even fit in my garden and i actually know someone who ahs ema and has a swimming pool and a lot of things i don't. so there numbskull

ReputationRep:
    what about those who are not well off- but don't earn within the EMA range????
    or those of us who would have benefited to some extent if we'd been born a year later, but managed two years of sixth form, and working at the same time, perfectly well :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Jax_)
    er right then. 30,000 does not buy you a millionaire lifestyle thankyou very much. a swimming pool wouldn't even fit in my garden and i actually know someone who ahs ema and has a swimming pool and a lot of things i don't. so there numbskull
    "so there"....not heard that since i was 6...thanks for bringing back memories.

ReputationRep:
    "so there"....not heard that since i was 6...thanks for bringing back memories.
    You're the one who should grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Jax_)
    why don't you get off your arse, dig a hole in your garden, fill with concrete and add water using a hose. There you go, instant swimming pool.

Oh and I do use my EMA properly and yes I do have a job so stop bugging everyone who gets EMA! jax and I had a nice "discussion" about the situation a few months back. You can ask him about it if you want.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't get EMA then theoritically your parents should be rich enough to pay for you, and if they don't, tough luck. Life isn't fair, is it.

ReputationRep:
    You're the one who should grow up.
    yes and weren't you the one who believes that people will be encouraged not to work hard in the future.....

because for two years, 17 years after their child is born they can have £30 a week

if i need to grow up you could thinking before you post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    why don't you get off your arse, dig a hole in your garden, fill with concrete and add water using a hose? There instant swimming pool.

Oh and I do use my EMA properly and yes I do have a job so stop bugging everyone who gets EMA! jax and I had a nice "discussion" about the situation a few months back. You can ask him about it if you want.
    Just because you "use it properly" it does not mean everyone receiving it does.

ReputationRep:
    yes and weren't you the one who believes that people will be encouraged not to work hard in the future.....

because for two years, 17 years after their child is born they can have £30 a week

if i need to grow up you could thinking before you post
    Actually, I think I should think before I post, I would struggle to "thinking" before I post. Good Luck for studying Law!!!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Just because you "use it properly" it does not mean everyone receiving it does.
    if the phrase in bold is implying that I don't use EMA, you're very much mistaken and confused. Please leave this thread right now.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.