Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I get £30 a week from EMA, and my only real expense is £10 a week for the bus. The extra £20 goes straight into my bank account and it adds up very quickly. I have almost £2000 pounds now, the majority of which is EMA payments and bonuses, which I have absolutely no reason to have. I also get a bonus from my college per term or so, which I also do not need.

My friend gets £10 a week from EMA, and spends £30 a week on train fares. This is kind of odd. If anything, I should be recieving £10 and she £30.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippy_gerbil)
    EMA allows students to have less of a financial burden on their parents - it doesn't matter what the money is spent on. Sure, it may be spent on alcohol and the like, but if the money wasn't given to the student through EMA it would just end up coming from the parent(s) who can't afford it.
    Are you suggesting that the parents would give them money for living costs if they didn't get EMA? The only thing my parents pay for is my breakfast and tea lol....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawrence4)
    Are you suggesting that the parents would give them money for living costs if they didn't get EMA? The only thing my parents pay for is my breakfast and tea lol....
    I think your find your parents pay for much more - but not directly.. think in broader terms. What about the internet connection your using, the computer, printer ink used for coursework, the electricity used to power such devices etc?

Can you honestly say that if your parents didn't have enough money to keep, for example, an internet connection (or alternative information source) going your grades wouldn't deteriate?

ReputationRep:
    ognoes teh monies is going to teh other people, ognoes CRY ME A RIVER ASSFLUTE

ReputationRep:
    once yoiur 16 your child benefits stop, so for parents on lower income, they will not have as much money for their kids, so thats were ema comes in. Because their child cant work full time due to school. I dont get ema though

ReputationRep:
    May I just say:

I get EMA at the moment, and I really need it, because otherwise I would have to pay for my bus to school (which is pretty heafty for such a useless service) and several of my school books out of the money I earn from my part-time job (which I have to spend on my clothes and anything I might want to do besides work - because yes, us poor people are allowed social lives!)

My Dad is struggling to start up his own company having been made redundant a few years ago. No he was not a layabout - he has a degree in engineering and an MBA. Nevertheless, the IT industry is rather a let-down it seems ...

My Mum also has a degree, and is a teacher for a charitable organisation - hardly a high-flying career, but also, not layabout-ish either I think you'll find. Even if my parents were layabouts it would hardly be my fault.

I personally am not the best in my school, but I've achieved 4A*s, 6As and 2Bs at GCSE, and am aiming for As in all five of my ASs. I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge to read law in 2006. Do I not deserve EMA?

Yes, my parents pay for a lot of other stuff, but that's through prioritising. You may argue about the computer - that is necessary for parent's work. And are we expected to revert to a time without electricity merely to prove that we deserve EMA?! Don't be so ridiculous!

I agree the cut off point is annoying, as there are many of my friends who don't get it, but generally they get their bus fares and books paid for by their parents, whereas I don't. Where exactly can you draw the line? We can't give everyone EMA, and we can't stop it going to people who don't deserve it. I'm just glad I get it and I'm sorry some of you who need it don't.

ReputationRep:
    I 'm getting £20 though theres only £200 seperating me and an extra tenner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiamaria)
    once yoiur 16 your child benefits stop, so for parents on lower income, they will not have as much money for their kids, so thats were ema comes in. Because their child cant work full time due to school. I dont get ema though

No, I'm sure that's wrong! It only stops if you come out of full time education. If you stay in education then you still get it up to the age of 19. So yes, if their kids stay in school parents will still get money for them.

Another point I'd like to make: They don't tell you about EMA until around April which, by that time most people have decided whether they're going to stay on in education or not (at my 6th form you had to give in applications by January). Therefore, people will not be thinking, 'i'll stay on in education now as I can get EMA' - it's too late! I hope you understand what I'm trying to say - it's difficult to explain!

I can totally sympathise with the people who say they really need EMA because my family were on income support for 4 years as my mum could not work. I know how difficult it is and I think it's great that people who need it are getting help. However, I think it is assessed wrongly - for example, they base it on your family's income for the PREVIOUS tax year - it doesn't matter what your income is for this year!

Also, it really annoys me how the government are promoting it with people saying 'It's great getting EMA as it pays for my driving lessons and I don't have to get a part-time job so i can concentrate on my studies'. Well guess what - I will still have to get a part time job and I probably even then won't be able to afford driving lessons! Do the government honestly think that those of us on incomes over £30,000 have parents giving us loads of money to pay for things like this? If I got EMA it would be 3 times my allowance - which is to pay for everything - clothes, school things etc.

Ok - there's my rant for the day! i'd be interested to see if anyone agrees or disagrees with my views,

MissSurfer

(PS I'm just about to start college/6th form in Sept)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissSurfer)
    Another point I'd like to make: They don't tell you about EMA until around April which, by that time most people have decided whether they're going to stay on in education or not (at my 6th form you had to give in applications by January). Therefore, people will not be thinking, 'i'll stay on in education now as I can get EMA' - it's too late! I hope you understand what I'm trying to say - it's difficult to explain!
    That's a good point, although in practice sixth forms and colleges may continue to accept people up to and including the first day back if they have spaces. Mine did anyway. You can apply for EMA at any time and if you do it before a certain time, you can get all your payments backdated.

Also, it really annoys me how the government are promoting it with people saying 'It's great getting EMA as it pays for my driving lessons and I don't have to get a part-time job so i can concentrate on my studies'. Well guess what - I will still have to get a part time job and I probably even then won't be able to afford driving lessons! Do the government honestly think that those of us on incomes over £30,000 have parents giving us loads of money to pay for things like this? If I got EMA it would be 3 times my allowance - which is to pay for everything - clothes, school things etc.
    I don't think the government assumes that all those on incomes above £30, 000 will have everything bought for them, but they can't afford to give everyone money, so it becomes a case of helping the poorest who need it the most.

ReputationRep:
    its unfair because it goes to the wrong people in many cases. Stupid labour government! Why dont they base it more on the subjects people study and their achievement, there wouldnt be such a huge surge in mickey mouse subjects then taken on by people in many cases that have just scraped into 6th form. Also if its all about your background and not bringing money into the house because of being at school then why on earth isnt it paid to the persons parents instead of the student? Also since when did stationary and books cost £30 a week?!?!?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe in the first yr of EMA, but now everyone knows about it, a friend at my church who has just finished year 10, i already talking about how she cant wait till she gets EMA.

ReputationRep:
    Also since when did stationary and books cost £30 a week
    Well bus fare = 5 x £3.60 a week = £18 (for me anyway), then you got to eat, if you don't come from a family who do packed lunches, so that's about a tenner a week. The extra £2 I'm not sure what EMAers spend it on, but really who cares?

Although I think EMA is a really good system it is slightly odd that although the student has exactly the same costs as the previous year in the school they should suddenly get more money to deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_tomus)
    its unfair because it goes to the wrong people in many cases. Stupid labour government! Why dont they base it more on the subjects people study and their achievement, there wouldnt be such a huge surge in mickey mouse subjects then taken on by people in many cases that have just scraped into 6th form. Also if its all about your background and not bringing money into the house because of being at school then why on earth isnt it paid to the persons parents instead of the student? Also since when did stationary and books cost £30 a week?!?!?!?!?
    If they based EMA on the subjects people study and their achievements, most of the people getting it would be those from more well-off backgrounds, which defeats the whole purporse. Why should someone from a family with a household income of about £50k studying maths, physics, chemistry and Latin and predicted AAAA get the money ahead of someone from a family with a household income of about £20k studying psychology, sociology and media studies and predicted BCC?

The point of EMA is to act as an incentive to those who are tempted to leave school and go out to work to earn money. This money would be largely spent on themselves, which is why EMA goes to them and not their parents. No-one is saying that books and stationery cost £30 a week, more that if a student has the potential to carry on in education but is deterred because they want to earn money, getting £30 (or £20 or £10) a week may make them reconsider.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much everyone I know that gets it just spends it on beer and going out every week. Surely thats a huge failure to the system! I dont see why my parents should pay huge taxes to fund someone with 5Cs at GCSE to do A levels in media studies or AVCEs in leisure and tourism, ending up with really poor grades and wasting further money studying a useless subject at university. Perhaps the government should realise that we have a shortage of skilled labour in certain industries because potential plumbers and the like are learning how to make a woolen bag or about a particular film and getting paid for it by the tax man, when they could be gaining money and rewarding those that really bring more into this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssmoose)
    Well bus fare = 5 x £3.60 a week = £18 (for me anyway), then you got to eat, if you don't come from a family who do packed lunches, so that's about a tenner a week. The extra £2 I'm not sure what EMAers spend it on, but really who cares?

Although I think EMA is a really good system it is slightly odd that although the student has exactly the same costs as the previous year in the school they should suddenly get more money to deal with it.
    So why cant the government provide heavily discounted or even free transport to those who would qualify then? Has anybody ever heard of free school meals? When are people going to learn throwing money about never solves anything it just brings about negative externalities.

ReputationRep:
    i am not getting one. I can make more money on bettings.hehehe.

ReputationRep:
    I am still in year 11, so wont get any sort of money yet but here is why I wont be eligible at all. My mum and dad dont have good jobs, but they earn enough money to get me the best clothes, and the latest stuff, my mum is in work now and she works from 9pm until 7am and my dad works from 8am - 10pm. It is long hours for crap money, and the thing is, we are just over the limit for the EMA, so I am not eligible because my parents earn about 1 grand more than they should for me to apply for the EMA. I dont think this is fair because my parents, when I go to college, will have to work even harder to pay for my education.

ReputationRep:
    yer. the ema is just stupid. what if the family earns not 29grand a year but 31 grand. surely, there is not much difference, but it makes a difference. this is one of the stupid bureaucratic things this country has to get rid of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaun O'Keefe)
    I am still in year 11, so wont get any sort of money yet but here is why I wont be eligible at all. My mum and dad dont have good jobs, but they earn enough money to get me the best clothes, and the latest stuff, my mum is in work now and she works from 9pm until 7am and my dad works from 8am - 10pm. It is long hours for crap money, and the thing is, we are just over the limit for the EMA, so I am not eligible because my parents earn about 1 grand more than they should for me to apply for the EMA. I dont think this is fair because my parents, when I go to college, will have to work even harder to pay for my education.
    Why will it cost your parents more than it does now?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't your school refund the bus tickets for you. Our one does as long as u have a half price bus pass. We have to hand in the receipts at the end of each term and they refund the money. Although this may just be becuase our 6th form is a consortium so we have to travel to school other than our own.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.