Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisaG)
    I don't see why I shouldn't get EMA to help with my bus fare/books I need to buy/school trips just because my father, who I don't even know, has a big income.
    this is nothing personal, but your domestic arrangements are not the state's business. you have a father, who could theoretically give you money if you needed it. it really isn't the governments job to compensate you for having a selfish father. under the current system, i know of people whos' total combined income is £100k or there abouts, but they're still entitled to claim it because their parents are seperated.

ReputationRep:
    I think EMA is pretty useful for those who actually need it, but in my case Im receiving £30 because my dad works but my mothers got a long term illness. I will probably be spending my money on non-school things as I received a full scholarship to a private school which includes transport stationery etc therefore making my EMA totally useless regarding schooling matters. Not that that bothers me though, its means I dont have to get a part-time job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schizophrenic)
    I think EMA is pretty useful for those who actually need it, but in my case Im receiving £30 because my dad works but my mothers got a long term illness. I will probably be spending my money on non-school things as I received a full scholarship to a private school which includes transport stationery etc therefore making my EMA totally useless regarding schooling matters. Not that that bothers me though, its means I dont have to get a part-time job.
    Thats a similar situation to mine (apart from the private school, i should be so lucky) but i plan to save the EMA to put towards University costs and it also means that i dont have to panic about getting a part time job and can focus more on studies.
    Granted there are people who will abuse the system and with most systems that will always be the case but there are people who find EMA extremely helpful, especially with transport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_tomus)
    Why will it cost your parents more than it does now?
    It will cost them more than it does now because at the moment I walk to school, and when I go to college next year I will have to get a bus, which is 2 buses a day, 5 days a week it works out at quite a lot per year. If someone who gets EMA goes out and spends it on beer, than that is definately wrong, I am not saying going out for a bevvy is wrong, just spending money which could benefit others is wrong, here is a twist to the subject, say if your parents earn 100k per year between them but you dont like them and you just ''live'' with them, and they refuse to pay for all your stuff for college, can you get the EMA then???

ReputationRep:
    For those that argue about seperated parents and it being unfair that people whose parents are divorced but if together would be over the 30k mark I ask you this. Would you want your parents to divorce for you to get either £10, £20 or £30 a week? I doubt it. Also one must remember that in some divorces contact is lost and thus the child may not get the money from the parent. And when maintainance is paid that is to help look after the child. That is not just to buy stuff for school but it is also to put a roof over the childs head, to clothe them, to feed them and to entertain them. The money is rarely enough to do this let alone pay school cost. If you dont get EMA get over it. You are obviously in a better position to start with than those who are not. ALso the vast majority of people only get £10 a week not the full £30 people need to remember this fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh1988uk)
    If you dont get EMA get over it. You are obviously in a better position to start with than those who are not. ALso the vast majority of people only get £10 a week not the full £30 people need to remember this fact.
    ''Get over it'' what about the people who are slightly over the mark but still cant get it, a lot of the people getting EMA are the ones who are in the better position, and receiving ten pounds is a lot better than just receiving nothing.

ReputationRep:
    You only have to earn a penny over 30k a year, that's all it takes.

ReputationRep:
    I know, but this isnt fair is it, especially if you cant afford it. Having 30k per year or more does not neccecarily mean you can afford everything other people cant.

ReputationRep:
    I get EMA, because my parents are divorced and therefore the household income is tiny...the money my dad pays my mum (which is intended to maintain us) doesn't even cover the mortgage...I get £10 a week, and yet my transport (a 1-hour bus journey to and from school) costs £9.60 of that money. I therefore have a part-time job in a hotel to pay for books, stationary, etc. The EMA people have said that the reason I don't get more money per week is because my dad is 'providing' for me; when they heard how much he gives, they said that they couldn't increase my EMA but would speak to the CSA. Needless to say, nothing has changed.

ReputationRep:
    Nope! I'm not getting EMA!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HEAD BOY)
    Nope! I'm not getting EMA!
    Good, you are quite annoying.
    Plus I get £30 a week :p:
    Check your reputation by clicking on user cp.
    Head boy at school = boring old fart, hmm who sent that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    Good, you are quite annoying.
    Plus I get £30 a week :p:
    Check your reputation by clicking on user cp.
    Head boy at school = boring old fart, hmm who sent that?
    why is it good? it means hes parents are rich and can put food on his table and give him a good life. you get ema cos you're poor. shutup idiot. im glad you get ema! cos it means you have not as good a life as me!

ReputationRep:
    EMA isn't about rich and poor as such, and comments like that arent nice. It is so those that need a little extra help can have it. I admit, many who have tax evading self-employed parents (not all self-employed parents, just the tax evading ones) and have a new beemer in the drive are blatently abusing the system but think about someone like a single parent earning just enough to make ends meet.

Personally, i reckon those that do 5 A levels or more should get £50 just for doing it and if you get 10 A's at GCSE then you should get like £500. But life aint all that nice and if your rich than appreciate it and if your not so comfortable then work hard so you can get a high paying job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phillipsm)
    In my experience, usually lazy under-achievers who don't care about an education receive EMA. I echo the first post, and would further add that EMA is a (positive) discriminator not at all based on merit (which would be a far better system!) - all students face the same "money troubles".
    Well I'm not lazy and I'm an over(kinda)-achiever and I care about my education, I can't wait to go back to school, and I receive EMA.

ReputationRep:
    *doesn't participate in convo but adds name to list*

I havent applied for it so no im not getting it

ReputationRep:
    You say you havent applied, but are you eligible for it, or do your parents earn more than 30k per year?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not getting EMA but my friend who wears all the latest clothes-some designer is, therefore she will not need to get apart time job but i have to because my parents won't give me that money.
    I'm not saying that EMA is a bad thing but the system should be changed, your studies should be taken into account & other things such as travel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doormat)
    I'm not getting EMA but my friend who wears all the latest clothes-some designer is, therefore she will not need to get apart time job but i have to because my parents won't give me that money.
    I'm not saying that EMA is a bad thing but the system should be changed, your studies should be taken into account & other things such as travel.
    I have EMA and a part time job.

Wonderful how this discussion is still continuing.

I also wonder who gave me negative rep (which, as it happens, was negligible) for my opinions and experience of the matter?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.