Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not getting it x

ReputationRep:
    just as a question, why don't people on EMA get saturday jobs? i've not read yet a convincing argument for EMA. i'm not being sarcastic, i'd just like to know the answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant87)
    just as a question, why don't people on EMA get saturday jobs? i've not read yet a convincing argument for EMA. i'm not being sarcastic, i'd just like to know the answer.
    Isn't the idea of it so you can focus on your studies? If you have to work to earn money, you might end up jeapordising your schoolwork, although I agree if you worked just on Saturdays it wouldn't do any harm.

ReputationRep:
    I got a reply from the government btw. I complained that despite the fact that I believe EMA is great idea, it is assessed wrongly and more factors should be taken into account.

They replied saying how in trials it worked very well the way they'd done it and basically 'hard luck'!

At least I can say I tried

MissSurfer

ReputationRep:
    I really dont mean to be rude, but how can some people on here whose parents earn £30,000+ moan about not getting EMA?!
    Seriously, unless you have to travel loads to get to school (via train or something) i dont think you actually are in desperate need for extra money!!
    Plus people are saying they need to get EMA so they dont need to work to afford to pay for college, but I worked throughout sixth form and I dont remember spending a penny of my earnings on college stuff - except maybe sixth form clothes :p:
    It seesms stupid cos most of the time (in my experience anyway) you get textbooks free via the school, and its not as if you have to pay tuition fees or anything!
    I say just be grateful if you get it, but if you dont actually need it and r stil moaning i dont really see waht your problem is!

ReputationRep:
    Evening everyone,

Here is my situation. I live in South Wales; there are a lot of people who earn over £30,000 a year. Probably around 85% of all households. However, this leaves approximately 15% of households earning under £30,000.

I am a great believer in giving people the chance to learn and have a better life, no matter what their background is. However, although my family earns well over the £30,000 mark, we have higher costs for living (bigger house), more cars and also around 35% of my parents earnings goes into savings accounts. That is after Mr Blair's government has taken a huge amount of tax off my parent’s wages. They are both in the upper brackets for tax (just).. both earning over £45,000 a year. I get £80 a month allowance. This is for my books, clothes, socializing and so on. We are well off and do go on holidays. Yet, as my parents have worked hard and achieved they and I get penalized? It isn't fair. I would like £40 a week. I wish I could. However, I know that I am unable to have it.

If I want extra cash, I have to get a job during the weekends and the evenings. This is what the majority of people have to do to get extra cash. Luckily, it looks that Somerfield are going to be taking me on during the weekends and 1/2 evenings in the week. This will give me some extra money. However, I will still earn less than what a person receiving an EMA would get.

I know some people who already receive the EMA. Many of these people only spend around 5% of their cash on stationary and other related education things. The rest goes on going shopping and alcohol. Doesn't seem right to me! If there was a system set up that only allowed people on EMA's to buy education related things and so on it would be much better.

IT SHOULD EITHER BE FOR ALL OR FOR NOBODY AT ALL!

Regards,
    Chris

ReputationRep:
    lazy ppl cant be assed at school so they dont get as well paying jobs (under 30,000 pa) thus there children get ema
    quite frankly you need to get a better perspective on life mate.

My parents have been hard working in this country since they left school. Due to circumstances that were not their own fault have put them in a situation that has forced them to stop working. My mother is now paralysed from the chest down because of a spinal tumour and my father is her carer and he himself is borderline diabetic and has suffered 3 heart attacks within a week... 2 days before he was to turn 40.

And yes everyone should be allowed the chance to get a better education and seriously if the parents where that bad and the child had common sense they would not follow in their parents footsteps.

Okay so what have i spent my £30 a week on... clothes... computer hardware and software which is to help improve my ICT skills along with my chosen career path.

not just that i have also taken the chance to go to the local college to do a visualbasic course and taken online courses with that money.

with the bonus after completing my exams and the christmas bonus i spent on myself and brough stuff for my hobbies.

And to answer someone elses question on her about a saturday job. I also had a job up at Tesco on the checkouts.

I think everyone who has really got a grudge against this for most of the reasons stated in this thread need to stop being such a bunch of imature children.

I can agree the system doesnt work fully to its potential and needs sorting out but the general idea of it works for most situations that needs it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CMJM)
    Evening everyone,

Here is my situation. I live in South Wales; there are a lot of people who earn over £30,000 a year. Probably around 85% of all households. However, this leaves approximately 15% of households earning under £30,000.

I am a great believer in giving people the chance to learn and have a better life, no matter what their background is. However, although my family earns well over the £30,000 mark, we have higher costs for living (bigger house), more cars and also around 35% of my parents earnings goes into savings accounts. That is after Mr Blair's government has taken a huge amount of tax off my parent’s wages. They are both in the upper brackets for tax (just).. both earning over £45,000 a year. I get £80 a month allowance. This is for my books, clothes, socializing and so on. We are well off and do go on holidays. Yet, as my parents have worked hard and achieved they and I get penalized? It isn't fair. I would like £40 a week. I wish I could. However, I know that I am unable to have it.

If I want extra cash, I have to get a job during the weekends and the evenings. This is what the majority of people have to do to get extra cash. Luckily, it looks that Somerfield are going to be taking me on during the weekends and 1/2 evenings in the week. This will give me some extra money. However, I will still earn less than what a person receiving an EMA would get.

I know some people who already receive the EMA. Many of these people only spend around 5% of their cash on stationary and other related education things. The rest goes on going shopping and alcohol. Doesn't seem right to me! If there was a system set up that only allowed people on EMA's to buy education related things and so on it would be much better.

IT SHOULD EITHER BE FOR ALL OR FOR NOBODY AT ALL!

Regards,
    Chris
    So let me get this straight. Your family has a big house, more than one car, you go on holidays and your parents give you £80 a month pocket money.....what exactly are you complaining about??? Also, I hate the attitude that just because someone earns more, they must have worked harder and achieved more? Plenty of people on low incomes work hard too! EMA is designed to help those whose families don't earn a lot. You've admitted your family is well off, so why should the government give you money you don't need? They can't afford to give it to everyone, so it makes sense that the poorest people, who need it the most, should get it. Why should they be denied financial help just because other well-off children who don't get any are jealous and feel left out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    So let me get this straight. Your family has a big house, more than one car, you go on holidays and your parents give you £80 a month pocket money.....what exactly are you complaining about??? Also, I hate the attitude that just because someone earns more, they must have worked harder and achieved more? Plenty of people on low incomes work hard too! EMA is designed to help those whose families don't earn a lot. You've admitted your family is well off, so why should the government give you money you don't need? They can't afford to give it to everyone, so it makes sense that the poorest people, who need it the most, should get it. Why should they be denied financial help just because other well-off children who don't get any are jealous and feel left out?
    What a good post!

ReputationRep:
    I don't get EMA as it's quite gay tbh!

my dad earns £40k a year but we only get 50% of that back including the fact that my parents have to put away loads of money for a pension seeing as we only came to this country 8yrs ago so there pension is extremly low. Including the fact that i have to pay £67.20 a month just to travel to school!

But i guess there has to be a cut off point somewhere - its just abit annoying when way richer people than me get it.

Oh well ce la vie!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leannemann)
    What a good post!
    Hee hee, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I don't get EMA as it's quite gay tbh!
    You make it sound as if EMA is an option. It isn't.

But i guess there has to be a cut off point somewhere - its just abit annoying when way richer people than me get it.
    You are obviously lying since people only get EMA if their parents' combined income is less than £30000.

ReputationRep:
    You are obviously lying since people only get EMA if their parents' combined income is less than £30000
    Actually i'm not lying. A good 50% of people in my 6th form live with one parent but get income from that other parent but that doesnt count towards EMA. Another example is a friend whos parents don't work as they live off there wealthy relitives.
    God i tried to be diplomatic about this and i've its people like you who get EMA then i totally dissagree with it...obviously lying - get a grip

ReputationRep:
    Who is entitled to Education Maintenance Allowance?
    Around half of all 16-year-olds studying in England should be able to get EMA.
    Just a quote from the website incase anyones interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~the_one~)
    Actually i'm not lying. A good 50% of people in my 6th form live with one parent but get income from that other parent but that doesnt count towards EMA. Another example is a friend whos parents don't work as they live off there wealthy relitives.
    God i tried to be diplomatic about this and i've its people like you who get EMA then i totally dissagree with it...obviously lying - get a grip
    what do you mean people like me. Why do I not deserve ema?
    I have a relatively poor background, and use some of my EMA for books, bus fares and the £100 bonuses help to motivate me. Let's face it, you'd totally agree with the system if you were getting it! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Just a quote from the website incase anyones interested.
    right so you're in the top 50% of the population in terms of affluence, so shut the hell up, you are not poor.

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean people like me. Why do I not deserve ema?
    I have a relatively poor background, and use some of my EMA for books, bus fares and the £100 bonuses help to motivate me. Let's face it, you'd totally agree with the system if you were getting it!
    I mean people like you who call someone a lier before they even consider an argument.

I'm from a poor background too. We were ment to buy textbooks for chem and bio they were £60! I really can't afford that at all, so will have to borrow etc. If i were getting ema i wouldn't agree with the system because it's blatenly not fair. I can't afford to go to 6th form but my parents are willing to run into more debt etc.

ReputationRep:
    right so you're in the top 50% of the population in terms of affluence, so shut the hell up, you are not poor.
    Yet another intelligant comment. Are you being serious? You don't know me nor do you know how my family live there life. You are not to judge who is and is not poor.

ReputationRep:
    Yet another intelligant comment. Are you being serious? You don't know me nor do you know how my family live there life. You are not to judge who is and is not poor.
    rich enough not to get ema anyway. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Most of the people from my college who recieve EMA just spend it on clothes or alcohol...which is rather infuriating when I know that if I got it I might actually use it for something useful such as to save towards university.

Instead I have to waste my time working in an amazingly busy shop where I am rushed off my feet for hours on end and still end up with less per week than other people get for just turning up to lessons.

I think that instead the money should b put towards subsidising things like expensive school trips and bus fares etc.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.