Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It can be annoying especially seeing as i may not be able to go to uni now that top up fees will be introduced. Now my parents are trying to save for that - we have a tiny disposable income.

ReputationRep:
    I get £80 a month. Correct. So why is it ok then for my parents taxes to go and fund someone elses "pocket money" AKA EMA. My parents have 40% of their wage taken from them on tax. I think that the EMA should be given to all. Higher amounts for less well off people and smaller amounts for more afluent people.

IF THAT IS NOT FAIR TO YOU... WHAT THE HELL IS UP? SOME PEOPLE WILL GET £160 A WEEK!

Regards,
    Chris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CMJM)
    I get £80 a month. Correct. So why is it ok then for my parents taxes to go and fund someone elses "pocket money" AKA EMA. My parents have 40% of their wage taken from them on tax. I think that the EMA should be given to all. Higher amounts for less well off people and smaller amounts for more afluent people.

IF THAT IS NOT FAIR TO YOU... WHAT THE HELL IS UP? SOME PEOPLE WILL GET £160 A WEEK!

Regards,
    Chris
    How will some people get £160 a week? The highest you can possibly get from EMA is £30 a week! Why should EMA be given to everyone? The whole idea of it is that it acts as an incentive to those most likely to drop out at 16, ie those from low-income families, to stay on in education.

ReputationRep:
    How will some people get £160 a week? The highest you can possibly get from EMA is £30 a week! Why should EMA be given to everyone? The whole idea of it is that it acts as an incentive to those most likely to drop out at 16, ie those from low-income families, to stay on in education.
    In my area, some pupils will be able to get £40 a week. As for the EMA and it's reasons. It is there to stop the number of people who leave school post 16 to stay in Education to keep the Unemployment figures down. That's part of it's creation. I believe that all should be entitled to at least something. There is only a certain amount of money around and the way that this particular government seems to be spending it is ridiculous!

Regards,
    Chris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CMJM)
    Evening everyone,

Here is my situation. I live in South Wales; there are a lot of people who earn over £30,000 a year. Probably around 85% of all households. However, this leaves approximately 15% of households earning under £30,000.

I am a great believer in giving people the chance to learn and have a better life, no matter what their background is. However, although my family earns well over the £30,000 mark, we have higher costs for living (bigger house), more cars and also around 35% of my parents earnings goes into savings accounts. That is after Mr Blair's government has taken a huge amount of tax off my parent’s wages. They are both in the upper brackets for tax (just).. both earning over £45,000 a year. I get £80 a month allowance. This is for my books, clothes, socializing and so on. We are well off and do go on holidays. Yet, as my parents have worked hard and achieved they and I get penalized? It isn't fair. I would like £40 a week. I wish I could. However, I know that I am unable to have it.

If I want extra cash, I have to get a job during the weekends and the evenings. This is what the majority of people have to do to get extra cash. Luckily, it looks that Somerfield are going to be taking me on during the weekends and 1/2 evenings in the week. This will give me some extra money. However, I will still earn less than what a person receiving an EMA would get.

I know some people who already receive the EMA. Many of these people only spend around 5% of their cash on stationary and other related education things. The rest goes on going shopping and alcohol. Doesn't seem right to me! If there was a system set up that only allowed people on EMA's to buy education related things and so on it would be much better.

IT SHOULD EITHER BE FOR ALL OR FOR NOBODY AT ALL!

Regards,
    Chris
    Took the words out of my mouth. Agree with him to a T.

ReputationRep:
    It can be annoying especially seeing as i may not be able to go to uni now that top up fees will be introduced. Now my parents are trying to save for that - we have a tiny disposable income.
    My mother gets child benefit, all of it goes into a savings account. All of my birthday and christmas money goes in there as well. I know have enough and more to send me to University. My mother and step father both work in education, my step father as a Head Teacher. They both agree that the EMA isn't the correct way to solve the problem of children from low income families.

Regards,
    Chris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CMJM)
    I know some people who already receive the EMA. Many of these people only spend around 5% of their cash on stationary and other related education things. The rest goes on going shopping and alcohol. Doesn't seem right to me! If there was a system set up that only allowed people on EMA's to buy education related things and so on it would be much better.
    totally agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Or just bitter because you're not getting it? It's not supposed to be for everyone, it's supposed to be for those from lower-income households who need the money for books, stationery etc because their parents can't afford to buy them. How is it unfair?
    Call me a cynic but I think that they are more than likely to spend it on items which don't have anything to do with school at all.

I think that the EMA is a system which does need to be trialed for a year or so. (Just to test the water I suppose) But statistics like, "Where EMA leavers from the sixth form go" will surely prove that this is a useless system for the government's purposes, which will just rewards those who are either a) going to sixth form in any case, or b) not going to work hard in their life to achieve anything useful (such as a place at University), againm regardless of EMA.

It does genuinely reward the people in situation a), however, that doesn't help the country in any way at all and hence isn't really feasible.

ReputationRep:
    It's ridiclus.
    I've just looking up property prices and for the price of my current house i could buy a 7 bedroom grade II listed detacted house with a pool in the middle of nowhere (hereford)!!

EMA doesn't take living expenses into account at all. GAh i've forgotten the point i was trying to make .
    Ignore

ReputationRep:
    ok - anyone here who needs to spend £30 on school equipment a week raise your hand.

EMA is really just pocket money the government uses to bribe people to stay on in higher education, so they stay off the unemployment statistics. anyone who doubts whether it's possible to have a saturday job and still get decent grades, see my sig. the sooner it's got rid of - the better. then the money can instead be properly used to subsidise school trips, free school books, etc etc for those who can't afford them. that way, we know it's being spent properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant87)
    ok - anyone here who needs to spend £30 on school equipment a week raise your hand.

EMA is really just pocket money the government uses to bribe people to stay on in higher education, so they stay off the unemployment statistics. anyone who doubts whether it's possible to have a saturday job and still get decent grades, see my sig. the sooner it's got rid of - the better. then the money can instead be properly used to subsidise school trips, free school books, etc etc for those who can't afford them. that way, we know it's being spent properly.
    I agree with you completely!

Regards,
    Chris

ReputationRep:
    This 'waste of taxpayers money' argument is incredible. How much of each persons taxes each year goes toward EMA? Surely not more than a couple of pounds?

Anyway I haven't read all of this thread but a couple of points I have found extremely annoying. Firstly the idea that people from poorer backgrounds will grow up to be lazy and keen on living off state benefits. My dad for example grew up in Salford, his dad was a painter and decorator and his mum worked in the local chippy. My dad now has 4 university degrees and earns enough to keep us in a 6 bedroom house. He has always insisted I work hard on top of all else, as did his dad to him, the point is; it's not about where you come from it's about the opportunities that you get in life. If EMA means that more people get opportunities then surely it is a good thing. The only part of the system which I disagree with is the £100 bonus just for turning up to all your exams. Another thing which annoys me is the idea that only academics work hard in their lives. Surely a brick layer works much harder for his money than say, an IT database manager or some such other worthless profession. The question is not about if someones parents could afford to send their children to college without EMA, but how many students would be comfortable taking bus fare and dinner money and money books etc from their parents if they knew that their parents were barely able to make ends meet as it is? I think a fair few would feel compelled to take a job rather than further their education at cost to their parents.

ReputationRep:
    My best friend is entitled to EMA, and it certainly isn't due to her parent’s lack of what you all describe as ‘Hard work’. Her mum does volunteer work and her father attended university and is one of the cleverest people I know, however just because he is intelligent doesn’t necessarily mean that his job is well paid, but they still work damn hard. I’ll have you know, not everyone in this world cares only for money and will choose an occupation that they enjoy rather than what has the largest annual wage.

I have no resentment at all to these people who are given EMA and I am perfectly happy with the money I am given from my parents, which I have been given for a lot longer than 2 years. Maybe before you start criticising those who are eligible for EMA why don’t you put yourself in their position? Until now some of them have not had any money, and can only now begin to put money towards their education, hobbies or whatever they feel is beneficial to them.

In another case I know someone who saved her entire EMA to help reduce the amount her mother had to pay for her to go on one College trip, and you are complaining this money. Personally I count myself very lucky to have been benefited with these opportunities throughout my life and to not be happy for other people to receive similar opportunities is in my mind quite pathetic, and even if some people do choose to blow it then that’s their problem and is a mistake that they will have to live with. It represents an example of how the system can be refined or improved in the future, but until that time I’m quite happy to attend college next year alongside my EMA entitled mates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkfloyd)
    This 'waste of taxpayers money' argument is incredible. How much of each persons taxes each year goes toward EMA? Surely not more than a couple of pounds?
    but think how much the money comes to when you take it all together? think what that could be spent on instead. EMA still isn't justified.

ReputationRep:
    That is so stupid, are you saying that some of these students should suffer just because their parents are on a low income? I would honestly like to see you put in the same position and still make the same argument against EMA. You need to learn to be a bit more life aware.

ReputationRep:
    Through my experience most of the people who receive EMA usually spend it on clothes, DVDs, alcohol - basically anything other than education. I should have received EMA as my parents went out of work, but I wasn't entitled as only the previous year's tax credit was looked at. I was someone who genuinely needed the money yet I was not allowed it.
    Also, there is the problem that wealthy parents may not give much money to their children. Most of my friends who were not entitled to EMA tended to receive a maximum of £5 per week from their parents, thus they had to take up part-time work to fund their studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student_Type)
    Through my experience most of the people who receive EMA usually spend it on clothes, DVDs, alcohol - basically anything other than education. I should have received EMA as my parents went out of work, but I wasn't entitled as only the previous year's tax credit was looked at. I was someone who genuinely needed the money yet I was not allowed it.
    Also, there is the problem that wealthy parents may not give much money to their children. Most of my friends who were not entitled to EMA tended to receive a maximum of £5 per week from their parents, thus they had to take up part-time work to fund their studies.
    But them receiving £5 a week only reflects their parents and their choices. Their parents can give them more if they wish to. This is a matter of 'wont' not 'can't', whereas I know quite a number of people who didn't receive even that amount up until they went to college and got EMA, because their parents just couldn't afford it so they have 'had' to work as there is no other alterative for them. Personally I am happy to have never been put in that position and I am not entitled to the £30, they are going to be given. I get £15 a week from my parents, but I know they will always be there to back me if I need it. I show no resentment and neither do my parents to those who get EMA and count myself very lucky.

ReputationRep:
    If you're parents get 40% of their earning as tax, that means they earn over £50,000 (and for the record, tax at a rate of 40% is only taken on that money OVER £50k). If your parents earn that much, it doesn't matter how much they give you, the point is that your absolutely financially stable. Part of the reason for EMA is for really low income families who genuinely struggle to pay the bills, for whom every child at school is another drain on the families limited income (travel, food, stationary etc). EMA is then there to stop them being a strain on the family and meaning they don't have to go out and get a job to help support the family.

I get £20 a week EMA, and 100% of that goes on food (£4 a day isn't a lot, you know). However, I also have this thing that i like to call a job. I work at McDonalds, repeatedly saying "is that medium or large?" and "would you like fries with that?". Do you know why? That's so that i CAN go out and have some fun. It's not a particularly lovely job, but all you people moaning about how you're friends have this money from EMA but you don't have any, how about you stop being hypocrits by calling OTHER people lazy, and apparently follow your parents example of not being lazy and working hard, and try and actually earn yourself some money for once.

ReputationRep:
    Well, my income is over £30,000 so I can't claim it (even though we were on an income less that that for all my life - it just went up this year!! Annoying!). I'm not sure I would spend £30 on books and equipment but I can say that I'll be going to a state 6th form and I've already had to pay for textbooks for next year. Also, I could have gone to one of the top state colleges in the country but it would have cost me £400 a year for a bus pass which I could just not afford!! EMA would have been useful for this...and the results at that college are much better, but I suppose there it doesn't necessarily mean I would have got better results personally, but ya know!

Also, if I got EMA I'd have done a 5th A Level instead of getting a job. I think everyone should be able to apply for EMA and they should assess each individual case to see exactly why the EMA is needed. There are a lot of people who should get EMA and don't, or do get EMA and shouldn't! That's my opinion anyway...

MissSurfer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    If you're parents get 40% of their earning as tax, that means they earn over £50,000 (and for the record, tax at a rate of 40% is only taken on that money OVER £50k). If your parents earn that much, it doesn't matter how much they give you, the point is that your absolutely financially stable. Part of the reason for EMA is for really low income families who genuinely struggle to pay the bills, for whom every child at school is another drain on the families limited income (travel, food, stationary etc). EMA is then there to stop them being a strain on the family and meaning they don't have to go out and get a job to help support the family.

I get £20 a week EMA, and 100% of that goes on food (£4 a day isn't a lot, you know). However, I also have this thing that i like to call a job. I work at McDonalds, repeatedly saying "is that medium or large?" and "would you like fries with that?". Do you know why? That's so that i CAN go out and have some fun. It's not a particularly lovely job, but all you people moaning about how you're friends have this money from EMA but you don't have any, how about you stop being hypocrits by calling OTHER people lazy, and apparently follow your parents example of not being lazy and working hard, and try and actually earn yourself some money for once.
    I don't get EMA but totally agree. Well Said

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.