Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I personally think that EMA is a fairly good system and know several people in my school who would struggle without it, the system probably does get abused in some cases but that doesn't really mean taking the priveledge away from those who really do benefit from it....

However I do agree with some of the people who have said their families earn over £30k a year and their parents wouldn't give them £30 a week...mine are just the same, I find it a bit unfair cos they're on my back to stay on but then they tell me I have to get a job as well...so I have got a job at Tesco (how exciting! :rolleyes: ) but have to work Monday nights from 4pm-10pm (which leaves very little time, infact none at all really for any schoolwork on a Monday night ) and also Friday nights (which is a bit of a bummer) for the same hours.

I think it might end up getting a bit much so I might just tell my parents to shove it if I can't handle it properly by christmas, the last thing I wanna do is mess up my A levels over a crappy part time job...though if I do that I wont have any money...I think in some ways EMA should be available to everyone at least in small amounts, but then it would be a huge drain on the government and I'd guess lots of parents probably do pay for stuff that their kids want...

All the same I don't think EMA should be stopped for everyone cos admittedly I could get by ok with no job and no EMA, wheras some probably genuinely couldn't!

Hmm sorry if that post was a bit messy...

Sally x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    EMA is such a rediculous, unfair, waste-of-tax-payers-money scheme with no significantly positive outcomes. :mad:

I am furious at the whole system.
    Hmm, maybe you're angry with it cos you didn't get it!
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Jax_)
    lazy ppl cant be assed at school so they dont get as well paying jobs (under 30,000 pa) thus there children get ema
    This is the biggest crock of **** I've heard in my life :mad: What about newly qualified teachers, nurses etc? They certainly don't earn £30,000 a year....does that mean they're lazy people who couldn't be assed at school? Not everyone is born with a silver spoon hanging out of their backside you know and there are people who work damn hard for little money.
    And before you mention it, no I did not receive any financial help while at college and I pay partial fees for University. My parents work hard and have done all of their lives, have never been on benefits & only bring in £28 odd grand a year combined, does that make them lazy? :rolleyes:

Also, maybe you should have been 'assed' at school and then you'd realise it's their rather than there children :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    Hmm, maybe you're angry with it cos you didn't get it!
    :p:
    Widowmaker, that is obnoxious...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermo)
    The thing that really frustrates me is that the students get £100 bonuses at christmas for good attendance!!! :mad:
    Yes, I don't think that is fair either...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but it's not only good attendance. Last year in my school 2 students didn't get their bonus because the headmaster didn't feel they were working hard enough as told by the pastoral year heads. As well I hope you don't just assume we all get 100 pounds bonus automatically just for good attendance, there are other conditions as well, like actually working in class and not slacking off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swifty)
    Sorry but it's not only good attendance. Last year in my school 2 students didn't get their bonus because the headmaster didn't feel they were working hard enough as told by the pastoral year heads. As well I hope you don't just assume we all get 100 pounds bonus automatically just for good attendance, there are other conditions as well, like actually working in class and not slacking off.
    Yep, at my school we had to get all 1s and 2s for effort on our interim report to get our bonus, and we weren't told beforehand, so those who got the bonus were those who worked hard anyway regardless of EMA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swifty)
    That still doesn't make it any more fair to those who don't receive it, though.

ReputationRep:
    haha yeah..........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelated)
    That still doesn't make it any more fair to those who don't receive it, though.
    Yeah, but there's a reason they don't receive it- their family income is higher. They can't afford to give everyone the money, so surely it makes sense to give it to those who need it the most?

ReputationRep:
    I don't paticularly agree with it. I don't get it, but i still can't afford half the books i need for school! 1 book is like £25 on average, i'm still looking for work and my parents are getting fed up of forking out all this money, They should either lower the prices or give EMA to everyone. Also i doubt half the poeple who get it actually use it for school equipment - so what is the point?! Althogh those who do get it and use it properly then yea fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    All people on EMA read this:

Your fathers are stupid and have **** jobs. Your fathers farthers are stupid and have **** jobs (or may be dead) and you will be stupid and have a **** job. You are also underpriveleged, working class, chimney sweeping paupers. Especially the pretencious kellywood5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youngw)

Your fathers are stupid and have **** jobs. Your fathers farthers are stupid and have **** jobs (or may be dead) and you will be stupid and have a **** job. You are also underpriveleged, working class, chimney sweeping paupers. Especially the pretencious kellywood5
    You can't spell. The mods know your IP, and you'll soon be exposed, and hopefully banned, for all eternity. I suggest you use up your all-important lone brain cell to help you leave this site before the wolves are set on you. Saying that, you're a troll, so you'll probably enjoy it. *spits*

ReputationRep:

Is that the best you can do? :rolleyes: And by the way, it's father's father's and pretentious. I may get EMA, but at least I can spell!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Yeah, but there's a reason they don't receive it- their family income is higher. They can't afford to give everyone the money, so surely it makes sense to give it to those who need it the most?
    Up to a point I agree, but this wasn't the initial point I was refuting.
    I have to work long-(ish) hours after school at Tesco's to receive my money because unfortunately my parents don't have endless supplies of money, and consequently I am left with very little pocket money. I am working solely for the intention of getting payed, nothing else, although I do realise and respect the benefits that this job brings (such as increased independence, responsability, building of confidence/social skills). I am angered however that certain people will receive their own money for doing what I do easily everyday; going to school and completing work. I would absolutely love to be able to receive my money for just going into school and finishing my work (something which I enjoy doing), therefore not needing to work after school in my own leisure time, allowing me to focus more time and energy on my extremely important studies! Unfortunately this is not the case, and I am annoyed that other people receive money for going into school, and therefore see no need for a job, and therefore have much more time for their studies. That I feel is unfair, and this angers me. I am however grateful that I have a mix of intrinsic and extrinsic incentives as motivational factors; this probably wouldn't have been the case had I received EMA. I am not saying that all EMA receivers aren't thinking ahead/are motivated solely by money (most probably aren't), but I do think this is a major disadvantage for many EMA receivers. Alas, when push comes to shove, despite what all of us non EMA receivers say, we would kill for EMA. I was originally pro EMA, but after carrying out my own background research, and of course viewing this "discussion" (:rolleyes:) I am starting to think that EMA is very unfair! :mad:. Especially with the designation of EMA to "eligible" students; how does govt. know an individual family's prerogatives/stance with regards to money? Parents might not want to give their children pocket money (now perhaps they could if they [/b]wanted[/b] to; but this still doesn't make it fair!), on the same token parents might not be able to afford (very important word here) to treat their child with pocket money- well certainly not anywhere near £15/£20/£30 a week. *Sigh* Well at the end of the day, all this debating and complaining isn't getting us anywhere, and it isn't going to change govt.'s regulations anytime soon, so I guess I am better off keeping shtoom. Although I must say, on a final note, that I totally dispise ignorant EMA receivers who generalise and think that everyone who isn't on EMA is bathing in weekly pocket money, and has it easy - because we don't!

P.S. This wasn't intended as a personal attack on anyone... As regards to the "people with EMA don't need to work" comment I made, I just want to say that I do acknowledge people such as Widowmaker and others who do work ontop of receiving EMA, which I admire (not that my feelings matter here). The point I was trying to make is that there is no *real* need to work if you are receiving EMA.

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who kind of cheats the system with EMA. He lives with his mother who only works part time so he qualifies for EMA yet her mum's boyfriend also lives with them but his income doesn't count apparently and neither does his dad who spoils him rotten! He gets EMA and I don't when he's better off than me, how can that be right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    I have a friend who kind of cheats the system with EMA. He lives with his mother who only works part time so he qualifies for EMA yet her mum's boyfriend also lives with them but his income doesn't count apparently and neither does his dad who spoils him rotten! He gets EMA and I don't when he's better off than me, how can that be right?
    That's one of the difficult things about EMA. When the parents aren't together and the student lives with his/her mum, the dad's income doesn't count, so on one hand you have the deserving cases who get nothing from their dads and hence get EMA, but on the other hand you have people like your friend who get loads of money from their dad but still receive EMA.

ReputationRep:

Unfortunately, you are, and always will be, a ****.

Michael

ReputationRep:

Wow. That's great for a first post :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How upper-crust are the snobs who infest these boards?

I NEED my EMA and my cleaning job just to afford my transport to school.

Some people aren't 3 and don't get "pocket money". Some of us need to WORK FOR OUR MONEY.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.