Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    all people with parents earning over £30k a year are driven to school in Bentley's
    That's a generalisation, but so is saying that people who get EMA have lazy parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    That's a generalisation.
    No. It's a rediculous generalisation. (Mercedes-Benz are more popular :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    Oh damn, and well done, it was accurate! :rolleyes: Now seen as you think you can assume all people with parents earning over £30k a year are driven to school in Bentley's, I think I can assume that most EMA receivers don't spend the cash on educational stuff. Probably including yourself.
    no you're right like you're earlier post says....i do spend it on drugs...silly me eh...typical child of a family earning less than 30,000

and the reason i implied you only know people who are rich is because if you did hang around with people who were quite poor you'd now that 95% of them dont want to rely on just benefits and wish for better jobs and dont spend benefits on **** and drugs and alcohol....

...but its pretty obvious from your posts you dont know many people from underpriveleged backgrounds

ReputationRep:
    No. It's a rediculous generalisation.
    Just like you saying people who earn less than £30 k a year are lazy is a ridiculous and offensive generalisation!

ReputationRep:
    Just like you saying people who earn less than £30 k a year are lazy is a ridiculous and offensive generalisation!
    I don't remember stating that....

ReputationRep:
    I don't remember stating that....
    My original post states "(+ lots of other benefits)" and yes I do still stand by that statement. Many people are encouraged not to work hard so that they can stay at home and claim income support and other welfare "packages" from the government. EMA is just another type of family support to add to this list.

There's that for a start.

ReputationRep:
    My original post states "(+ lots of other benefits)" and yes I do still stand by that statement. Many people are encouraged not to work hard so that they can stay at home and claim income support and other welfare "packages" from the government. EMA is just another type of family support to add to this list.

There's that for a start.
    How does that quote = "all people earning under £30k are lazy"

ReputationRep:
    you've never quoted it or stated it but you've implied it many a time.....

which leads me to believe you know hardly any people who come from less priveleged backgrounds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiggaman7)
    you've never quoted it or stated it but you've implied it many a time.....

which leads me to believe you know hardly any people who come from less priveleged backgrounds
    So what if I don't? :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    *throws the idea of EMA away*i know this is only my opinion, so diss it how you like. BUT ok here is a situation common in my college. most of my mates are on EMA. they all work and get extra money from parents... that means they get about £200 month... i on the other hand do not get EMA, work my ****e and get a total of no more than £100. is that fair????? btw, my mum is a LSA in a primary school and very poorly paid. my dad does not get paid that much better either.

ReputationRep:
    Because it implies that the reason they earn under £30k is because they stay at home and live off benefits rather than work.

ReputationRep:
    dont want to rely on just benefits and wish for better jobs
    but isn't that what makes people happy in life... independence?

ReputationRep:
    So what if I don't? :confused: :confused:
    can you not read? so what if you dont.....

....i put before that not meeting many people is probably a reason why you think that people would prefer to get benefits rather than work harder ...or that many EMA students spend money on alchol **** " or even worse drugs " had you been around many people from less priveleged backgrounds you slap yourself for talking so much BS

ReputationRep:
    can you not read? so what if you dont.....

....i put before that not meeting many people is probably a reason why you think that people would prefer to get benefits rather than work harder ...or that many EMA students spend money on alchol **** " or even worse drugs " had you been around many people from less priveleged backgrounds you slap yourself for talking so much BS
    Well what makes you think that just because someones parents earn 30k+ it means that they themselves couldn't do with the money?

BTW, I think that what you just said is BS. If people would prefer to work harder than get benefits they why the hell don't they? They should have thought about before leaving school with no qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    *throws the idea of EMA away*i know this is only my opinion, so diss it how you like. BUT ok here is a situation common in my college. most of my mates are on EMA. they all work and get extra money from parents... that means they get about £200 month... i on the other hand do not get EMA, work my ****e and get a total of no more than £100. is that fair????? btw, my mum is a LSA in a primary school and very poorly paid. my dad does not get paid that much better either.
    The idea of EMA is that people have the choice to work part-time or not, whereas if they didn't get EMA they wouldn't have that choice. If they get EMA, surely their parents can't afford to give them that much money? You say your mum is poorly paid and your dad doesn't get paid much better, but they must earn more money than your friends' parents, otherwise you'd get EMA too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    Well, I totall agree with you. After all, £30k is not that much these days and it is disgusting how students are "categorized" according to their parents annual income. Your example is an excellent show of this.

ReputationRep:
    If they get EMA, surely their parents can't afford to give them that much money?
    Well with all the benefits they probably get, yes, they probably can afford to pay her that much.

ReputationRep:
    but do people who recieve ema really need ema? in other words would they really not have been able to attend sixth form/college without it

ReputationRep:
    The idea of EMA is that people have the choice to work part-time or not, whereas if they didn't get EMA they wouldn't have that choice. If they get EMA, surely their parents can't afford to give them that much money? You say your mum is poorly paid and your dad doesn't get paid much better, but they must earn more money than your friends' parents, otherwise you'd get EMA too.
    it was to do with the boundaries i think. its not fair. one of my friends is on £30 a week from EMA, has never had a job, because she "doesn't want one" .... she goes on holidays to America every year and her parents buy her everything. i just can't se how she would be in the position to need EMA

ReputationRep:
    Well, I totall agree with you. After all, £30k is not that much these days and it is disgusting how students are "categorized" according to their parents annual income. Your example is an excellent show of this.
    How else would you suggest students are categorised? It's not just EMA that these categories are used for, it's the amount of student loan and whether any burasries etc are received at university, so there must be some merits to the system.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.