The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
crazylass
well i have to say outright that i am not a believer in EMA!

i go to college everyday, come home and do homework just as everyone on EMA does. so why should they get paid for doing this when others do exactly the same. whats the difference.

just becasue my parents earn more than £30.000 a year.....they wouldnt be able to afford to give me £30 a week!!!!!

IN MY EXPERIENCE (this is not me being snobbish) the EMA students in my college go in of a mourning, get there form side and do bugger all, all day! they literally go to each lesson and then talk the whole way through it. this makes me mad! i go to college to learn and better my life and they sit there in my lesson and talk about how they are goin to spend there EMA money. this is an absolute piss take!!! me, trying to learn and not benefiting from £30 (soon to be bloody £75!) have to listen to people planning a nice shopping spree to buy another pair of shoes too add to thier very large collection. WHAT A WASTE OF TAXPAYERS MONEY!!! at least if this type of person went to work at 16 they would be putting money back into the economy with tax etc.
and to top it of.........most of the EMA ppl in my college work anyway! i mean how dunb are these politicians? they pay selected students money to help them focus on school and make something of there life when they dont bother to listen AND go to work anyway. this makes me mad!

the EMA system complelty divides myu class. i strongly beleive either everyone should get it or nobody at all.

and bonuses...getting extra money because they have managed to hand all work in on time......shouldnt that be the minimum of expected....i always do that anyway so wheres my praise?????????????/oh no i dont get any because my parents earn too much...well WTF has that got to do with me???????

yes some people do do this but many dont...you feel because of these few that some who use it to give their parents or spend on useful should have the right taken away...........

and people whose parents earn over 24,000 only get £10 a week? can your parents not afford to give you that either??

WTF has that got to do with you??................nothing at all,it just means you get no money because your above the cut off point

oh and heres your praise for doing well :congrats:
Reply 161
jiggaman7
yes some people do do this but many dont...

There, you've said it yourself. Some people are clearly abusing the system.

It needs to be ~
a) re-structured and made fairer.
or
b) scrapped.

Just looking at the number of people on this thread who have examples of the system being a waste, it shows that it is a wide-spread problem (let alone a wide-spread waste of tax payers money).
Reply 162
seaspray
There, you've said it yourself. Some people are clearly abusing the system.

It needs to be ~
a) re-structured and made fairer.
or
b) scrapped.

Just looking at the number of people on this thread who have examples of the system being a waste, it shows that it is a wide-spread problem (let alone a wide-spread waste of tax payers money).

well there are people abusing the system in any system,benefit or anything like this that has ever taken place....whats your point
crazylass
well i have to say outright that i am not a believer in EMA!

i go to college everyday, come home and do homework just as everyone on EMA does. so why should they get paid for doing this when others do exactly the same. whats the difference.

just becasue my parents earn more than £30.000 a year.....they wouldnt be able to afford to give me £30 a week!!!!!

IN MY EXPERIENCE (this is not me being snobbish) the EMA students in my college go in of a mourning, get there form side and do bugger all, all day! they literally go to each lesson and then talk the whole way through it. this makes me mad! i go to college to learn and better my life and they sit there in my lesson and talk about how they are goin to spend there EMA money. this is an absolute piss take!!! me, trying to learn and not benefiting from £30 (soon to be bloody £75!) have to listen to people planning a nice shopping spree to buy another pair of shoes too add to thier very large collection. WHAT A WASTE OF TAXPAYERS MONEY!!! at least if this type of person went to work at 16 they would be putting money back into the economy with tax etc.
and to top it of.........most of the EMA ppl in my college work anyway! i mean how dunb are these politicians? they pay selected students money to help them focus on school and make something of there life when they dont bother to listen AND go to work anyway. this makes me mad!

the EMA system complelty divides myu class. i strongly beleive either everyone should get it or nobody at all.

and bonuses...getting extra money because they have managed to hand all work in on time......shouldnt that be the minimum of expected....i always do that anyway so wheres my praise?????????????/oh no i dont get any because my parents earn too much...well WTF has that got to do with me???????

The difference is that your parents earn more money, so in theory they should be able to give you any money you need for school stuff and there's no danger of you dropping out to get a job. This may not be accurate in your case, and it may not be fair, but that's life. The government can't afford to give everyone EMA, so there has to be a cut-off point, and it just so happens that this means you're not eligible for it.

I think quite a few people in my school get it, but I've never experienced anything like that. As I've said before, the people who only come to school to get EMA and disrupt lessons tend to be the ones who did badly in their GCSEs and are therefore on GNVQ courses rather than A-levels or AVCEs.
I get £20 of EMA each week. I have a special scholarship which allows me to go to a private school, and there are actually quite a lot of people who get EMA, mainly from single parent families. Their parent(s) work damn hard to get the money to go to the school, and the EMA really helps people such as my boyfriend who's train pass costs over £600 a year. My EMA is based on my parents' income (who are not stupid, and my mum has a 2.i in psychology) but I live with my nan who is classed as disabled. I have been looking after her for the past year, as well as doing A Levels/GCSEs, and haven't been able to get a job as I have to keep an eye on her, or any benefit for being her carer. The EMA therefore goes a long way towards stopping me needing to get a job and risking doing less well in my A levels. So what if people spend it on going out. What do you spend your allowance/wages on?
crazylass

They're poorer.

crazylass
That's not the point. Nobody is saying young people need £x a week, it is an incentive.

crazylass
the EMA students in my college go in of a mourning, get there form side and do bugger all, all day!
Are the EMA students distinctly labelled? What are they mourning? :P Get there form side?? Sorry, what? (Maybe they're not the only ones doing bugger all, all day in college. :rolleyes: )

crazylass
at least if this type of person went to work at 16 they would be putting money back into the economy with tax
Maybe with a couple of A Levels or whatever they do they'll end up paying more taxes long term.

crazylass
most of the EMA ppl in my college work anyway!
What is your point? If they have a job, that's up to them. I repeat: the EMA in an incentive to study.

crazylass
i mean how dunb are these politicians?
I don't know, but hopefully they can spell adequately. :smile:

crazylass
the EMA system complelty divides myu class. i strongly beleive either everyone should get it or nobody at all
Why does it divide your class? Do people who don't get EMA resent those who do and get jealous? Who's paying for every student to get EMA?

crazylass
bonuses...getting extra money because they have managed to hand all work in on time......shouldnt that be the minimum of expected....i always do that anyway so wheres my praise?????????????/oh no i dont get any because my parents earn too much...well WTF has that got to do with me???????
It is to encourage them to work hard, more than just attending, and to keep them working hard for the two years. It's not praise, it's about trying to get poorer students to study more. I assume this is the case because poorer students are less likely than others to continue studying. Your family's wealth dictates many things in life.

I am soooooo bored and pretending to revise.
Reply 166
No Future
They're poorer.

That's not the point. Nobody is saying young people need £x a week, it is an incentive.

Are the EMA students distinctly labelled? What are they mourning? :P Get there form side?? Sorry, what? (Maybe they're not the only ones doing bugger all, all day in college. :rolleyes: )

Maybe with a couple of A Levels or whatever they do they'll end up paying more taxes long term.

What is your point? If they have a job, that's up to them. I repeat: the EMA in an incentive to study.

I don't know, but hopefully they can spell adequately. :smile:

Why does it divide your class? Do people who don't get EMA resent those who do and get jealous? Who's paying for every student to get EMA?

It is to encourage them to work hard, more than just attending, and to keep them working hard for the two years. It's not praise, it's about trying to get poorer students to study more. I assume this is the case because poorer students are less likely than others to continue studying. Your family's wealth dictates many things in life.

I am soooooo bored and pretending to revise.

very very good post ur gettin repped for that reply
I dont see why so many people are wasting their time debating and being against the benefit, as there are much more wasteful benefit expenditures where people play the system as well as other areas where alot more money gets wasted by govts and EU etc.
seaspray
EMA is such a rediculous, unfair, waste-of-tax-payers-money scheme with no significantly positive outcomes. :mad:

I am furious at the whole system.

im not either! and my connextions worker said there is no point of even trying.. my parents earn over 30 grang a yr, but that doesnt mean they have money.. it goes on bills and the house, school dinners and travel, car ect.. they also have 4 children care for....... its a load of *******s! i mean my parents have been giving me money since i was born its harsh to keep taking out of their pockets when i could apply for an ema, but of course there a catch (as to all things)..
i have to travel over 5 miles to college when i start in september. hopefully ill be able to get a free travel pass!
"
IN MY EXPERIENCE (this is not me being snobbish) the EMA students in my college go in of a mourning, get there form side and do bugger all, all day! they literally go to each lesson and then talk the whole way through it "

How can you say something so completely naive and stupid. Making generalisations by the students at your college alone is not fair. Do you think i don't go to college and do my best to learn and "better myself" as you eloquently put it? can you honestly say that you never talk in lessons. Ever? Its not fair. deal with it. your praise as you put it is getting your grades. Frankly people like yourself who have to rant on using phrases such as "wtf" and "piss take" clearly do not value their own education enough to get on with it.

You may or may not of meant it but i think you cannot be so damn general from our experiance of EMA students. Christ , you make them sound like some sort of lower breed and it does sound snobbish.

so crazylass resconsider your comments before offending people please.
Reply 170
xxhayleyxx
im not either! and my connextions worker said there is no point of even trying.. my parents earn over 30 grang a yr, but that doesnt mean they have money.. it goes on bills and the house, school dinners and travel, car ect.. they also have 4 children care for....... its a load of *******s! i mean my parents have been giving me money since i was born its harsh to keep taking out of their pockets when i could apply for an ema, but of course there a catch (as to all things)..
i have to travel over 5 miles to college when i start in september. hopefully ill be able to get a free travel pass!

well if your parents earn over 30,000 then you aren't deemed to need the EMA.....its not that hard to comprehend its just many of you are bitter about it
and bills etc aren't limited to you by the way so thats no reason to deserve EMA
well if its harsh to take it out their pockets get a job
Well, there were loads in my lower sixth who could gain the EMA and I don't live in a bad off area. About a quarter in the lower sixth have it, which is mad because I don't think people need it.

Also, I don't get a dime of diposible money from my parents, any income I have I have to work for (of course they buy me lifes necessities). So doesn't this mean that I will have to work alot as well whilst others won't because they've got EMA? It's not regulated enough, I think its being abused.

I also know alot people who have to work to support going out on a friday night and drinking and/or a smoking habit. Where will the EMA be going for these people?
Reply 172
soulsussed
Well, there were loads in my lower sixth who could gain the EMA and I don't live in a bad off area. About a quarter in the lower sixth have it, which is mad because I don't think people need it.

Also, I don't get a dime of diposible money from my parents, any income I have I have to work for (of course they buy me lifes necessities). So doesn't this mean that I will have to work alot as well whilst others won't because they've got EMA? It's not regulated enough, I think its being abused.

I also know alot people who have to work to support going out on a friday night and drinking and/or a smoking habit. Where will the EMA be going for these people?

is that the govt;s fault??
it is being abused by quite a few but so are all benefits....anything that can be abused is always abused its a simple fact.....
no many still work even if they have EMA
Jiggaman got it one. People not getting EMA are bitter about it and theres nothing wrong with that.

I qualify for £30 a week and its done me well. It means i have more time for college.
xxhayleyxx

EXACTLY!! My family also have a high income and a high outcome. Iknow people with a lower income who probably have more money than we do!! Also if I wanted to get home by public transport from sixth form college it would cost me a FORTUNE (which is why I can't do it). I have to take a minimum of a train and two buses. Some with EMA walk to school. Peoples situations need to be assesed, I come from a hard working family and I am hard working as well and it just annoys me that there's just no reward. I will have to work to earn any kind of income for myself next year and that could affect my grades whilst someone on EMA won't have to work as much as I will. And thats just because my parent wor their arses off and still all their money goes to mortgage and bills ect.
jiggaman7
is that the govt;s fault??
it is being abused by quite a few but so are all benefits....anything that can be abused is always abused its a simple fact.....
no many still work even if they have EMA

The point is that it should be regulated more affectivly to make sure those who really need it are benfitting, not just anyone under x.
Reply 176
soulsussed
EXACTLY!! My family also have a high income and a high outcome. Iknow people with a lower income who probably have more money than we do!! Also if I wanted to get home by public transport from sixth form college it would cost me a FORTUNE (which is why I can't do it). I have to take a minimum of a train and two buses. Some with EMA walk to school. Peoples situations need to be assesed, I come from a hard working family and I am hard working as well and it just annoys me that there's just no reward. I will have to work to earn any kind of income for myself next year and that could affect my grades whilst someone on EMA won't have to work as much as I will. And thats just because my parent wor their arses off and still all their money goes to mortgage and bills ect.

wtf> all families have bills if ur family spends a lot realtive to their income then you expect the govt to give them more???

if you want you can tell ur parents to take a pay cut to 29,999 and then you can have ten pound a week for two years if it means that much to you
Reply 177
soulsussed
The point is that it should be regulated more affectivly to make sure those who really need it are benfitting, not just anyone under x.

well so should all benefits in the country then
jiggaman7
wtf> all families have bills if ur family spends a lot realtive to their income then you expect the govt to give them more???

if you want you can tell ur parents to take a pay cut to 29,999 and then you can have ten pound a week for two years if it means that much to you

Have you just predicted my parents income? - if you have then you're wrong. The point is that people who are getting the ema DONT NEED IT. And it is annoying that people are spending money from hard working people like my parents so that students can spend the money where they don't need to. That's my point, it should be in the form of vouchers or bus tickets and should be gien to those who relly need it; not a quarter of the f**king 6th form. And I'm from a nice area!!
jiggaman7
well so should all benefits in the country then

They are aren't they? Benefit fraud? It's hard to get benefit if you don't need it and even then its not much. I'm not saying the ema doesn't have positive effects because I can see it does, and people really benefit from it and so does the economy in the long term. But I can just alot of injustice and abuse of the system.

Latest

Trending

Trending