This discussion is closed.
T-Boy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just recived an email from UCAS saying 75% of my Personal Statement is similar to someone else what should I do
Help!!!
Advertisement
ikariam976
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
write next time an own personal statement.
A level sufferer
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How can 75% of your personal statement be similar by coincidence to someone elses, that is just impossible aha
Advertisement
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by T-Boy)
I just recived an email from UCAS saying 75% of my Personal Statement is similar to someone else what should I do
Help!!!
a) Ask UCAS for a copy of the similarity report - this is the report they will be sending to your universities
b) Write a new PS that does not plagiarise
c) contact your universities directly, explain yourself, apologise for copying, make it clear you understand how serious this is and offer to send them the new PS.
d) hope
Emmahouston13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by T-Boy)
Help!!!
I received an email aswell saying my personal statement was 54%. Someone needs to help im having a panic attack lmao!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advertisement
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Emmahouston13)
I received an email aswell saying my personal statement was 54%. Someone needs to help im having a panic attack lmao!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Read the post above yours in this thread and act on it. It is the best advice you are going to get.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by A level sufferer)
How can 75% of your personal statement be similar by coincidence to someone elses, that is just impossible aha
At this sort of level of similarity, it's unlikely to be a coincidence. It's more likely that the person has plagarised a PS they've found online- most of these are also covered by a similarity detection service.

The other possibility is that they've posted it somewhere online, and it has been copied by someone else, or picked up by UCAS.
Advertisement
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by selenerrr__x)
I've written my own personal statement and now I'm really worried it'll come up with some many similaries to other personal statements because I've read so many that when I've been writing mine I've probably used similar/exact phrases without realising it's identical :/
such as: I eagerly await....
building blocks/stepping stones
I believe commonly used words such as, I, and, but, like etc. are excluded by the checker to try and avoid this. Unless you've written your PS entirely in cliches, it's unlikely to come up. Lots of people will use vaguely similar phrases at some stage and this won't be an issue, unless you have actually copied them or paraphrased them from other personal statements.
QueenBess
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got the same thing as well. I was not impressed at all. How was 47% or 8 sentences in red, then they send it off to the uni's allied too. And oops now that I've done the damage it's out of my hands now. So many people must have been penalised and lost places because of this. Now I'm wondering whether thiswas why I was rejected from chester and Staffordshire within a couple of days of applying.

I'm in such a panic now
Advertisement
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by QueenBess)
I got the same thing as well. I was not impressed at all. How was 47% or 8 sentences in red, then they send it off to the uni's allied too. And oops now that I've done the damage it's out of my hands now. So many people must have been penalised and lost places because of this. Now I'm wondering whether thiswas why I was rejected from chester and Staffordshire within a couple of days of applying.

I'm in such a panic now
Unis aren't impressed you plagiarised. It's supposed to be a personal statement, not a copy paste statement. Nearly 50% copied is bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
QueenBess
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In what part of my comment did I say I copied anyone else? I don't think I said that at all. That kind of conclusion jumping is the same stupidness UCAS does. They judge it on so many levels, similar structure of sentence, same structure of sentence, similar words/wording the same word or wording. Of course there's going to be x amount of people being flagged. Unless we write it using words that haven't been discovered in the English language yet...I find that highly unlikely. UCAS have gone from one extreme to the other, I'm surprised no one has brought this to the media yet
Advertisement
ParadoxSocks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In what part of my comment did I say I copied anyone else? I don't think I said that at all. That kind of conclusion jumping is the same stupidness UCAS does. They judge it on so many levels, similar structure of sentence, same structure of sentence, similar words/wording the same word or wording. Of course there's going to be x amount of people being flagged. Unless we write it using words that haven't been discovered in the English language yet...I find that highly unlikely. UCAS have gone from one extreme to the other, I'm surprised no one has brought this to the media yet
It's similar structure they're after. So if you wrote a sentence similar to another sentence in their system but changed a couple of words around it'll still be flagged. 47% shows a similarity of 47% to another document or group of documents.
Juno
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, they look over it to check whether the computer was actually right. If it comes up with 47% plagiarised, then you copied. They know some bits will be similar but yours has gone beyond that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advertisement
QueenBess
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Similar from 3 different personal statements, one of them submitted in Dec 2014. There system seems flawed big time. God forbid if I have the same interests as anyone else and try and incorporate them into my sentence in a certain way. I'll probably speak to UCAS and ask for evidence of those personal statements and how they came to that conclusion. Thanks guys
alapa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When you are at university your work will be judged by similar pieces of technology. You will have to get used to it. It doesn't show as plagiarised if you use common words. Only If you used the words in a similar way to someone else.
jjjjjj79
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My personal statement was 0 % plagerised, mainly because it was personal and i wrote myself without having to get any ideas or copy anything from online. Oh, and ive had 4 offers.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jjjjjj79)
My personal statement was 0 % plagerised, mainly because it was personal and i wrote myself without having to get any ideas or copy anything from online. Oh, and ive had 4 offers.
But it will still have a degree of similarity to other personal statements because there are only so many ways in which 600,000 people a year can express a very similar idea "I want to go to university because..."
Advertisement
jjjjjj79
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Strangely at no point did ny statement say " i want to go to university because" i just cant get my head around the fact you needed to search on line for statement examples when in essence it was just a task in writing about yourself. It doesn't get a lot easier than that to be fair.
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's unlikely that a PS written completely independently will come up high enough on UCAS's plagiarism checker to matter. Even clever paraphrasing or adapting sections is unlikely to cause problems in that sort of software - I've done it with many assignments and done a test and often it's not been highlighted at all. Plagiarism could be blatant or inadvertent but I've not heard of many people getting pulled up by the software, and given how many thousands of PSs and websites it checks, that shows that the software is intuitive (or at least the people who check it in detail are sensible)
Faithful God
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Please did you finally get an offer, I have the same problem now
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (145)
14.44%
I'm not sure (42)
4.18%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (302)
30.08%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.59%
I'm not a current university student (489)
48.71%

Watched Threads